Why do people congratulate those who "overcome" things like addiction/obesity??

It's still difficult regardless. I'll give props to anyone who works hard and achieves something which they wanted and it was tough for them, don't see why not.

When I will finally be able to bench press 225 pounds, I'll feel great. I'm sure people around me will congratulate me. It's not a lot of weight, but I'm pretty weak. I hope no one says "well, it's nothing special... if you weren't so lazy your earlier years and lifted more you wouldn't have had this problem". A feat is a feat and if it was tough for the person who performed it, that's awesome in my book.

In conclusion, this discussion has lead me to believe that it is the "right thing to do". Essentially to provide and help sustain positivity within that person, yourself, and among similar people. 
But like I said, they are doing what they should  have been doing all along.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

In conclusion, this discussion has lead me to believe that it is the "right thing to do". Essentially to provide and help sustain positivity within that person, yourself, and among similar people. 
But like I said, they are doing what they should  have been doing all along.
Not only is that subjective, it can be said about ANYTHING.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

You're a douche and a terrible person.

/thread

roll.gif

OP, people aren't perfect. Everyone will make mistakes, some might get addicted to drugs, some may fall into bad habits and get obese, some may get caught up in gang ----, etc. Who are you to say that they shouldn't get encouragement and support when they are trying to fix a major problem in their life?
30t6p3b.gif

Because overcoming a true "addiction" is not an easy thing to do at all. Sugar/fatty foods for some people are as addicting as narcotics. When someone overcomes an addiction, they change their life for the better. That deserves a congratulations.

They shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, but sometimes it is out of their control.

Hank, if you've bothered to read anything (Mr. Read a book). You'd see that I never placed my opinion as fact. I made the topic to have a discussion, and throughout the discussion i've learned things. And, since my original post, i've made other posts outlining the faults in the logic I was originally displaying.

You, just continue to be a close-minded, elitist jerk off.

OP is salty.

like asking people why do you congratulate people? are you stupid?

its a nice thing to do, they are bettering them selves. Obesity can start at a young age, meaning their parents are feeding them. So do you think kids that are obese dug them selves in that? No.

You made a thread solely to wonder why people say congratulations? dude whats up with your head?

You can be skinny and unhealthy. if a girl who is about to die from bulimia, gets treatment/psychiatrist, get better; and people are proud of her. You're in the corner why are people happy for this girl? SMH

*#@! even a heavy smoker of cigarettes that quits is #+*@#$* awesome. if it were easy to stop addiction/obesity then no one would be addicted or obese.

i heard the only thing harder to shake than squares is heroin.

op is an idiot for this though.

How am I salty if in the end I agree with what you say? Lmao, you all read the first line and that's it. Read the thread before you post.
And Paul, your jokes are terrible.

I was with OP until the going back to school and weightlifting analogies.
Things that are easy or second nature for some seem impossible for others (regardless if those limitations are because of their own doing). I think people congratulate overcoming adversity, not adults doing what they were spouse to be doing anyway.

Originally Posted by DJ Rashy

Because some people are not as fortunate as other people to have grown up to be able think critically what are the best decisions for themselves.

It's worth congratulating them for overcoming their problems and obstacles and to follow the example that we should apply the same mind set towards our own, whatever they may be.

OP You sound bitter and like something is lacking in your life..You seem to not have gotten much love throughout your life and is jealous of anyone who has achieved anything...You seem to not have any special talent, or at least something you are good at and just lived your life in complete mediocrity. There seems to be nothing that stands out about you, you are plain and just bland..You seem to channel your anger through the achievement of others, while you are unable to make anyone you love or care about happy.  

So when my cousin was 13 years old and depressed about his weight and issues related to his health, he did not understand? LMAO!
You really live up to your username.

My father was an abusive alcoholic for 15+ years, now he is a model father and husband. 

People give up too easily and blame everything on addiction. In my eyes only using it as a crutch to prolong their behavior because they feel too "weak" to deal with their issues.

In the back of their minds, in their hearts and soul, they KNOW the truth, the KNOW what they have to do. They are just overpowered by a weakness at the point.

EVERYONE (birth and cerebral defects aside) is capable of over coming any obstacle, you just have to BELIEVE.

Before you continue to say, "before it hits closer to home", know that I am drawing my conclusions while these issues are prominent IN my home.

So you're not proud of change?

OP You sound bitter and like something is lacking in your life..You seem to not have gotten much love throughout your life and is jealous of anyone who has achieved anything...You seem to not have any special talent, or at least something you are good at and just lived your life in complete mediocrity. There seems to be nothing that stands out about you, you are plain and just bland..You seem to channel your anger through the achievement of others, while you are unable to make anyone you love or care about happy. 

Ms. Cleo, how'd you get in here!? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ms. Cleo, how'd you get in here!? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

You need a hug OP, you are depressed, come here, bro...

haha no I just thought it was hilarious you drew that much out of so little! But who doesn't like hugs? ::wow:pens arms::

Back
Top Bottom