Why do people congratulate those who "overcome" things like addiction/obesity??

Just got into a huge discussion with some people about this. Guess I am just not that sympathetic.
Some people even called those things a disease 
alien.gif
alien.gif

I am an understanding dude, why can't people understand that no one should be doing those things in the first place?

Applaud someone for finally making the decisions they should have been making the whole time?

I know people on welfare cus there fat..or alcoholics..neither of those are birth defects so IDK why they gettin any money..I'm with you on this one OP if you got yourself in the situation to start with you aint really overcoming anything

I understand addiction can "take over"...but why kiss their @$% if they stop?
Say there is a pool, this pool just so happens to be full of %$%. You take a dive into the pool, intentionally.

You come out covered in the feces, we are supposed to feel bad for you?

You wash yourself off with a hose and all the sudden everyone is oh so proud of you? Df?

Originally Posted by Durden7

It is a disease.

it may very well be but it one you never had to encounter in your life..you CHOSE to take part in the things that gave you that disease so how can I feel good for you when you over come it if didn't have to experience it at all. Im speaking from personal experience.Ive dealt with addiction and overcame it but I don't want a pat on the back..I got myself in the situation and got myself out..no need for hugs and way to goes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Say there is a pool, this pool just so happens to be full of %$%. You take a dive into the pool, intentionally.

You wash yourself off with a hose and all the sudden everyone is oh so proud of you? Df?

Terrible analogy.

You're an idiot.

Watch somebody close to you battle addiction or battle it yourself and the come back here.

Because some people are not as fortunate as other people to have grown up to be able think critically what are the best decisions for themselves.

It's worth congratulating them for overcoming their problems and obstacles and to follow the example that we should apply the same mind set towards our own, whatever they may be.

yes because food is $!%!.

terrible analogy, 2/10 thread. will read again when you become obese

Worst analogy evaaaarrrrr!!!!!

Because for someone who's truly addicted getting over it is n incredibly hard task.  Something harder than you'll ever do in your life my an order of magnitude.  As far as the disease debate goes, I think some people with addiction do indeed have a condition outside of their control (hormone imbalance, brain defect, what have you) that causes their addiction, while others are just weak willed, unselfdisciplined mouthbreathers.

A pool full of $+*# isn't addicting. How dense are you?

It's a great analogy.
I've done drugs, who hasn't.

My older brother and sister have ruined their lives due to them, i.e. addicts. 

They PERFECTLY KNOW their wrong doings, yet do nothing to fix it. 

It's weakness, it's disbelief in themselves. I believe in the strength of the human spirit, if they did overcome it, I should be proud?

The analogy was just to express the awareness that you KNOW what you are getting into when you shovel food into your mouth without regard for your health, or relentlessly revolve your mind and world around drugs.

Because when you get to a certain point it becomes very difficult to kick those habits that lead to drug addiction,obesity etc.
It's not as simple as taking a deep breath and chanting some mind over matter %#%@.

Originally Posted by DJ Rashy

Because some people are not as fortunate as other people to have grown up to be able think critically what are the best decisions for themselves.

It's worth congratulating them for overcoming their problems and obstacles and to follow the example that we should apply the same mind set towards our own, whatever they may be.
This...

They congratulate them because they over come a big problem in their life

Its the same as congratulating someone who dropped out of school and went back and got their degree

Originally Posted by Pushak513

Originally Posted by Durden7

It is a disease.

it may very well be but it one you never had to encounter in your life..you CHOSE to take part in the things that gave you that disease so how can I feel good for you when you over come it if didn't have to experience it at all. Im speaking from personal experience.Ive dealt with addiction and overcame it but I don't want a pat on the back..I got myself in the situation and got myself out..no need for hugs and way to goes
laugh.gif

You dont have to put a red carpet out for people who overcome obesity.

Feeling good for the person and saying congratulations is too much to ask for?

You have no compassion and empathy?  You cant relate to someone who has a condition that makes their life difficult and is able to turn things around?

Im sure the obese 5 year olds really made the conscious decision to be what they are. 

Its called encouragement, I don't see what's so wrong with it.

For whatever reason they succumbed to their problem, its a good thing when they overcome it, no? Does it hurt you or negatively affect your life to simply say "congrats, keep up the good work" to them?

People fall into some hard times, in which it becomes an obstacle for the them to overcome. People congratulating them is just acknowledgement for coming back into the ''normal'' life.

The analogy was just to express the awareness that you KNOW what you are getting into when you shovel food into your mouth without regard for your health, or relentlessly revolve your mind and world around drugs.

So everyone who eats food has the awareness to understand what is healthy and what is not healthy eating habits?

cuz they actually do something to better themselves.
they stay dedicated. u know how hard it is to lose weight when ur over 500 lbs? no? then shut up guy.
it makes me proud when anyone overcomes hardships no matter what the situation.

and people like u? ew yuck...go away.

Back
Top Bottom