Why do people like restaurants?

I can't cook.

I'll tell you right now; I went to youtube and tried to make my own baked onion rings. DIY vids aren't anything but teasers.

living in NYC, i do a lot more cooking and grocery shopping while my friends mostly order in or eat out. part of it is to save money and the money saved can go more towards nights out and bars. the other part is because the food is either okay, doesn't fill me up, or messes up my stomach. if i eat out its to the restaurants i have been before and i know what im getting.

eating at home really saves me a lot of money tho...making coffee at home instead of buying a $2.50 cup 5 times a week adds up to saving to almost $700 a year. :smokin

My general tipping guide: 0% for takeout orders. 15% start on sit-down dinners. Drop a couple percentage points if the server is truly terrible. Up a couple percentage points if the server is exceptional. I've gone as high as 20%-25% for phenomenal, out-of-this-world waiters/waitresses.
My bar guide is usually $1 per drink unless it's a friend bartending or a bartender you're trying to grease up for buy-backs.
Most important rule: Do not, I repeat do not over-tip attractive female bartenders showing extreme cleavage. They are physically and aesthetically designed structurally to draw you in for more money, drinks and tips. Most of the time you aren't going home with them, either they have a boyfriend or just aren't interested in you outside the money you spend at their bar.

for meals out i double tax or give 18-20%, drinks i usually give a dollar per drink also unless the bartender makes it extra strong or hooks it up, ill give 2 dollars a drink. delivery 3-5$ depending on time and weather (yes if its raining or snowing i give them more). take out i never even heard of people tipping but, if they get my order right and theres no problems i may give a dollar or 2.

[quote name="ChampCruThik"]My general tipping guide: 0% for takeout orders.[/B] 15% start on sit-down dinners. Drop a couple percentage points if the server is truly terrible. Up a couple percentage points if the server is exceptional. I've gone as high as 20%-25% for phenomenal, out-of-this-world waiters/waitresses.

My bar guide is usually $1 per drink unless it's a friend bartending or a bartender you're trying to grease up for buy-backs.

Most important rule: Do not, I repeat do not over-tip attractive female bartenders showing extreme cleavage. They are physically and aesthetically designed structurally to draw you in for more money, drinks and tips. Most of the time you aren't going home with them, either they have a boyfriend or just aren't interested in you outside the money you spend at their bar.[/quote]
Do you know how hard it is for them to pack your food in those "Thank You" plastic bags? Then they have to meticulously insert the utensils. And you don't tip. You must be on welfare. I bet you got the nerve to go to Church and not put no money in the offering too.

See Snoop Dogg

Last edited:
some people are more lazy than they used to be

the family unit with all 'round the dinner table on a nightly has been destroyed by modern convenience, narcissim,
and the attitude that the next best thing is always better than what's happening now

there are less women & less men that know how to cook compared to past generations

people need to eat, restaurants serve food

some think they can afford it so why not?

restaurants advertise more now than years ago

i actually think that when it comes to ethnic foods and such, bleeding heart liberals with white guilt or whatever
think they are more worldly by experiencing different cuisine, think they are better for it
like they're ****** kings & queens

Last edited:
I live in NY and the variety of restaurants we have in this city is mind-boggling. I can't make a bowl of ramen at home without investing way more money and time then I would if I just popped into my favorite East Village spot. Some foods are just easier and better at places that specialize in a certain thing.

I live in NY and the variety of restaurants we have in this city is mind-boggling. I can't make a bowl of ramen at home without investing way more money and time then I would if I just popped into my favorite East Village spot. Some foods are just easier and better at places that specialize in a certain thing.
Any good places in the city you recommend? Any kinds of food too, open minded. 

I have to ask my friends who were delivery guys if they ever messed with the food of people who never tip. I'm always paranoid of people messing with my food. I've had a few delivery guys give me dirty looks in the past when i've given bad tips. My bestfriend has a form of hepatitis that he thinks he got from eating contaminated food and now his liver is all messed up. I don't want that to happen to me.

Any good places in the city you recommend? Any kinds of food too, open minded. 

I'm still getting acclimated with the city so most of my experience food-wise has been Asian food, particularly around East Village.

Most people say Ippudo on 4th Ave is a must try for ramen. I think it's quite good. I personally prefer Momofuku Noodle Bar's ramen although it's not authentic.

If you like udon, I would definitely say go try Udon West on St. Marks. It's pretty cheap, have various combinations if you want to get more grub, and they have a really long happy hour where you can add a beer for like a dollar or something. This is my favorite spot.

Another dope spot in the St. Marks area is a sake bar called Decibel. It's underground and they have an incredibly extensive sake list. They also have Japanese beer and whiskey. Food-wise, they carry small plates like grilled unagi, okonomiyaki, and takoyaki. They also carry an ice cream brand based out of Brooklyn that makes unique flavors. I tried a ginger-wasabi goat's milk ice cream and it was probably the best ice cream I've ever had. This spot is a gem and a great place to go late at night.

For Korean food, you have to go to Korea Town in Midtown. Great spots everywhere. I don't remember any names but I'd recommend checking out the one food court building. The quality probably isn't the best in that area but the prices are cheaper and there's a lot of variety.

Halal cart on 53rd and 6th is legendary. Make sure to go after 7PM when the real cart shows up. The imitators in the area are probably not bad but if you make the trip to Midtown, you want the real deal.

Some people value their time, can't cook, and are very picky eaters. If you work 50-60 hours a week, you're not trying to go grocery shopping, cook something, risk burning it or it tasting like garbage or giving yourself food poisoning, then having to wash dishes for 30+ minutes. It's not laziness; it's wanting to use the little non-work time one has to actually enjoy their life.

Plus, for guys like me, I like variety. Grocery shopping costs a lot, and you're often forced to buy a ton of 1 thing just for it to make sense cost-wise. Then because I don't wanna eat the same thing too often, my ingredients will go bad before I want to use them again and be a waste. And if they don't go bad, they're just gonna sit for about a month before they're used again. Do you know how many spices it takes to make good Indian food? And I won't use those spices in other food. So I'm going to spend $20+ on Indian spices that I'll use once a month and probably mess up more than half the time, no thank you, I'll just hit up a local spot. And pho? Can't even come close to duplicating that if I tried.

Nothing wrong with eating out for a majority of your meals as long as you can afford it and you go to the gym often.

Food is consistent, you don't have to cook, different scenery, and not too long of a wait.

That said its expensive, and I was brought up to eat in house so I do that often.

Some people value their time, can't cook, and are very picky eaters. If you work 50-60 hours a week, you're not trying to go grocery shopping, cook something, risk burning it or it tasting like garbage or giving yourself food poisoning, then having to wash dishes for 30+ minutes. It's not laziness; it's wanting to use the little non-work time one has to actually enjoy their life.

Plus, for guys like me, I like variety. Grocery shopping costs a lot, and you're often forced to buy a ton of 1 thing just for it to make sense cost-wise. Then because I don't wanna eat the same thing too often, my ingredients will go bad before I want to use them again and be a waste. And if they don't go bad, they're just gonna sit for about a month before they're used again. Do you know how many spices it takes to make good Indian food? And I won't use those spices in other food. So I'm going to spend $20+ on Indian spices that I'll use once a month and probably mess up more than half the time, no thank you, I'll just hit up a local spot. And pho? Can't even come close to duplicating that if I tried.

Nothing wrong with eating out for a majority of your meals as long as you can afford it and you go to the gym often.
Yo what are YOU doing? 

You're doing it wrong son. 

Back
Top Bottom