Why do people run for exercise and smoke cigarettes?

The overall benefits of exercise greatly exceed the cons of smoking, it's been proven in research studies that someone who smokes and exercises is"healthier" than someone who doesn't smoke and is sedentary. And this is coming from someone who has never smoked a cig so I have zero bias

like smoking and walking at the same time. get the heart rate up a little and pass the second hand smoke to others, especially if you're walking rightbehind them.

the only thing that really bothers me is the second hand smoke I run into after working out in the parking lot/right outside the gym.

my boy Dutch raced a guy on my street while he was smokin a black n mild.

and he won.

dude called me one day a couple months later sayin he walked from a house to the corner and couldnt breath. he had to sit down on the corner after walkin halfa block
smh.gif

Originally Posted by joshhassolex

i used to do this...
but i just quit smoking

+1

i lost crazy weight, but gained a lot when i quit.

It's interesting because all of my gains in lifting, as well as my endurance when doing cardio have steadily increased even though I've been smokingfor about two years now. Its not like by smoking a couple of cigs each day you shouldn't work out. Fast food, sodas, ALCOHOL, among other things are justas large of setbacks (in my opinion MUCH worse) than cigarettes are in terms of working out. Currently I smoke about 2-4 cigarettes a day and haven'treally experienced any decrease in my workouts. There were times when I smoked literally right before I stepped into the gym and I still performed the same. Iguess its a different story if you smoke a pack+ each day, but for a casual/normal smoker it isn't that serious. I don't mean to defend smoking becauseits a terribly habit, but the OP is making it sound way worse than it is. Now what I really don't understand is people who hit the gym, and go to Jack orDel Taco right after.

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg

Of course it's bad for you, but if you are addicting to cigarettes at least your exercising. A lot of the statistics used about smoking cigarettes areextremely exaggerated, not to say that's a bad thing. Those crazy statistics really helped bring down the amount of people smoking.

stupidity and speaking of smokes, i bought a jacket from ISS and thing smelled like straight ciggs. awful i cant stand cigarets.

I used to do this...I used to run about 3 miles a day for 3-4 days a week in order to EXPAND my lung capacity so I can smoke more...not cigarettes, but Iused to smoke them too....It helped

Your question sounds more dumb to me then people who smoke cigarettes and work out. Im sure not every smoker wants to be fat too

There is nothing wrong with working out and being a smoker.
When you work out/ excerise your blood cells/muscles expand, but when you smoke they shrink, decreasing growth of muscles and all that.
So as long as you dont smoke as soon as your done working out,(just wait like an hour or 2) then youll be just as good as someone that doesnt smoke. (workingout wise)

So back to like someone else said " Why do athletes smoke?" should be the real title.

same reason when people go to mcdonalds order a 2 big mac meal, mc chicken, large fries and a "diet coke" .. i mean really?? do you think its reallygonna help after what you just ate?

I know that I used to go run 12 miles 5 days a week and smoke one right after. They're probably doing it for the weight loss. That's why I did, but Icontinued to smoke. Exercising and smoking are not mutually exclusive things.

YoungTriz wrote:
same reason when people go to mcdonalds order a 2 big mac meal, mc chicken, large fries and a "diet coke" .. i mean really?? do you think its really gonna help after what you just ate?

I drink diet because I like the taste better than regular ..

also being in the military and around a bunch of smokers during my tour .. I seen massive guys that smoke almost 2 packs a day and run 6 minute miles I alsohave seen guys that quit smoking and for some reason they cant run as fast or as long .. strange .. so just because you smoke doesn't mean you are out ofshape, you shouldn't go to the gym or work out or a none smoker is going to out perform them .. that's stupid .. it all depends on the person ..

p.s. latest example a guy that I know had the fastest CFT (Combat Fitness Test) in the unit and he smoke about two Malboro packs a day .. he even beat a fewguys that have ran marathon and tri-athletes

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

YoungTriz wrote:
same reason when people go to mcdonalds order a 2 big mac meal, mc chicken, large fries and a "diet coke" .. i mean really?? do you think its really gonna help after what you just ate?

sick.gif

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

YoungTriz wrote:

sick.gif

grin.gif

Smoking plus running is much better than smoking plus not running, that I get. What I don't understand is why people smoke in the first place. Anotherthing I don't get is people who put all this effort into and place emphasis on eating healthy but don't work out.

Back
Top Bottom