Why Do R&B Heads Fall Off THAT Hard?

imack

Banned
I know the average rap fan is fairweather & overnight the biggest name in the game can take a back seat to the cat wit' the latest buzz. However, Idon't think rappers "fall off" nowhere near as bad as R&B dudes....

Like where the hell are dudes like Case & Aaron Hall? Where's Horace Brown & Donnell Jones & Carl Thomas at? Where are groups like Shai &Profyle & Ruff Endz & Dru Hill all them oher dudes? It's like R&B dudes not only lose the spotlight, they disappear off the face of the earthon some Witness Protection stuff. At least a rapper that fell off can perhaps down the line get signed to the label of the brand new artist that got the buzznow. It damn sure aint like that wit' R&B heads. You don't see alot of these dudes anywhere? They lose thier celebrity & start workin' atRent A Center or somethin'. I dunno, just some random thinkin' on my day off....

R&B stardom is manufactured; R&B is heavily dependent on writers, producers and your label. Singers are just avoice. You cant stay relevant by yourself. Your label gotta be behind you for you to stay relevant. Where music is right now, it doesn't favorR&B. Everything has to be catchy, instructional dance moves, sing-a-long type %@%# to sell.

Tank dropped an album 2 years ago, and he writes, so he's still around. Carl Thomas went Indie and dropped an album (So Much Better) 2 years ago, and itwas pretty good. I'm waiting on a Glenn Lewis comeback.

I wonder that too.

I have been listening to mid 90s to early 2000s R&B, such as Dru Hill, 112, Ginuwine, Donnell Jones, Case, Carl Thomas, Jon B, etc. all this past week. Icannot stand most of mainstream R&B these days, there are a few exceptions such as The Dream and J. Holiday.

It's crazy i see this topic, cause i was looking @ album release dates, and Case got an album coming out this month. These guys disappear and come out ofnowhere and just drop albums. I seen a new Jon B record in stores the other day and it's BEEN out. Crazy.

Donnell Jones released an album not too long ago. Some of them are still making music and releasing CDs, but they're just not under the Spotlight anymore.

Yeah, some of these artists have reached their prime or most success they can attain and then they just fell. They do keep making albums, but are not assuccessful as they used to be.

I know that Dru Hill are coming back, but not with all the original members. Ginuwine is coming back too with a new album. I heard his new song the other day.

Originally Posted by Definition Of Dopeness

It's crazy i see this topic, cause i was looking @ album release dates, and Case got an album coming out this month. These guys disappear and come out of nowhere and just drop albums. I seen a new Jon B record in stores the other day and it's BEEN out. Crazy.

Helpless Romantic is crazy, been out for a minute, u should check that out. Wait til you hear 'Part Of U'
smh.gif
pimp.gif
Helpless Romantic is one of them albums u can just let play.

Case is dropping a new CD this month, think it's called like Black Rose Experience or something
Donell Jones dropped a new CD in 2006...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
, he's dropping a new one 09 or 10
Carl Thomas dropped 07, dope album too
Ginuwine dropping this summer
Tank dropped one of the illest albums in 06
Jon B's "Helpless Romantic" was definitely dope

^ It's nice to see them still making music but it's a little beside the point. None of them are at the level that they enjoyed during their peaks...they might be dropping albums, but it's out of the spotlight, with little to no fanfare.

Originally Posted by YaBoyDiddy

R&B stardom is manufactured; R&B is heavily dependent on writers, producers and your label. Singers are just a voice. You cant stay relevant by yourself. Your label gotta be behind you for you to stay relevant. Where music is right now, it doesn't favor R&B. Everything has to be catchy, instructional dance moves, sing-a-long type %@%# to sell.
I think you nailed it. The labels will line up great writers and producers for R&B singers, then move them on to the next star-in-the-makingwhile leaving the previous one to do everything for him/herself. Like you said, a lot of these people are just voices that can't get their act to stayrelevant without the label pouring everything into their music.

These types of things don't affect rap music. Hip-hop artists don't need to say much other than the same things everyone else is talking about.It's more about the flow, delivery, charisma, and the production. Their melodies and lyrics don't need to be carefully crafted.

That's why I feel The Dream can stay consistent, because he handles all of his writing, am I correct?

Originally Posted by YaBoyDiddy

R&B stardom is manufactured; R&B is heavily dependent on writers, producers and your label. Singers are just a voice. You cant stay relevant by yourself. Your label gotta be behind you for you to stay relevant. Where music is right now, it doesn't favor R&B. Everything has to be catchy, instructional dance moves, sing-a-long type %@%# to sell.

Tank dropped an album 2 years ago, and he writes, so he's still around. Carl Thomas went Indie and dropped an album (So Much Better) 2 years ago, and it was pretty good. I'm waiting on a Glenn Lewis comeback.
^ Nailed it.

Glenn Lewis been around, but of course, nobody knows except true fans who follow him or any of these cats. Like homie said, they don't get heavy marketingonce they're pushed out of the spotlight. BUT unlike rappers, they tend to live just fine by writing & producing for others.

Tank's last album still gets burn around here.

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

...and more recently Raheem DeVaughn, Bobby V (Beep doesn't count) and J. Holiday
J. holiday dropped yesterday or day before

Jesse Powell
nerd.gif

Few thoughts:

1. The music industry is the best example of taking a fad and driving it into the ground. Take boy bands, for instance. Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC led arevival of boy bands that basically made every record label greenlight "Brand X" Boy Band and turn them into a success story. The more bands you putout, the more the talent pool is dilluted, the lower quality of the musical product, and eventually people just get tired of it. The music industry goesthrough re-inventions of particular styles, like New Edition was basically a modern-day Jackson 5, and New Kids was a white New Edition, and when they faded,BSB and N'SYNC led the next wave. Then it became a "well, if the guys can do it, let's bring back girl pop groups," so you had Spice Girls,Destiny's Child, etc. But like I said, it gets f'd out and the audience moves on because it gets stale.

2. The problem with a lot of the R&B artists mentioned in this thread is that they are incapable of re-inventing themselves. They are just as much amanufactured product as any boy band, and have about equal range. Take Jodeci, a sexier Boyz II Men, essentially, with not nearly as much talent vocally, andthey crapped out a bunch of songs and videos that literally all sounded and looked the same. The audience only has a certain amount of patience for that. Rockbands are much better at it because in order to survive, re-invention is vital. Pearl Jam rose to fame during the grunge era, yet they're still goingstrong today because they adapted to changes in the music industry. R&B artists just can't do that, for the most part.

The only RnB artists that can sell and still relevant are Mariah, Beyonce, and Usher, both of which use Rap verses in their singles and made the transitionfrom RnB to Pop. I always thought RnB was lame anyways
laugh.gif

I'm personally waiting for Maxwell to come back. I've been waiting for him to release Black Summer's Night for a while. hopefully that projectcomes together, I'll just listen to Urban Hang Suite til then lol

Oh yeah what happened to NEXT? Didn't they put out that G-Unit mixtape?
laugh.gif
and where's 112? They were doin it in 2000

Back
Top Bottom