Why do rappers stay trying to claim they don't write anything down?

Jay said he does so because when he was on the streets hustling, he could not just be there writing with a pen and pad. Wayne said he does it because hismother took away his notebook one day when he was a little boy misbehaving so he just decided to memorize from there on out.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
i was reading the GQ with wayne in it and i dont know if he was doing
cause they were there or what but his process seems completely ******ed to me-

he just flows then starts over and adds some then punches in then adds and changes....id smash the monitor after like 20mins if i had to engineer one of his
sessions
laugh.gif

i figured it was the drugs- but who can argue with him - he sold what triple plat?
Yep.

Wayne is the punch king.

That's why his **!% goes in 3 different directions on one verse. Cause its 3 different ideas conceived and spit @ 4 different times

I believe he does 4 bars @ a time if I'm not mistaken

thats what i heard as well about him spittin 4 bars at a time

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by Barack 0drama

Originally Posted by Tom Jooks

It's a NY thing. We're so used to freestyling that we can spit stories on the spot. So when it comes down to recording a song, it's almost cheating.

roll.gif

chicagomuch?

I heard Jesus was born in Brooklyn.
his name was chris wallace

Don't fight it....Just put it on :

nyyn5951game.jpg

Eminem, Lupe, and Nas don't try to pretend like they don't write.

i honestly don't care and i don't see how it's something to brag about. if your rhymes are better when you memorize (like Jay), then memorize. ifyour rhymes are better when you write, then write. it's all about the quality of your rhymes.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

i honestly don't care and i don't see how it's something to brag about. if your rhymes are better when you memorize (like Jay), then memorize. if your rhymes are better when you write, then write. it's all about the quality of your rhymes.
Jay writes... I always thought he did but the 11:35 mark of http://www.zshare.net/audio/554748596b766386/ confirmed my suspicions
laugh.gif

"Can I keep it goin I wro---...Can I keep goin"
laugh.gif

I would almost rather they write the stuff down...it could only be better. What happened to just going in the studio, grinding out a well thought throughalbum, and making a classic?

It's a NY thing. We're so used to freestyling that we can spit stories on the spot. So when it comes down to recording a song, it's almost cheating.

roll.gif

chicagomuch?

I heard Jesus was born in Brooklyn.
his name was chris wallace
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
......u still mad at them BIG stans TIME?

I dont have to write anymore... i can freestyle for hours strait... it just sounds better when i write / edit my thoughts though...

roll.gif
roll.gif
lyin @%+ ___'s. Its a couple artist that are on that i dont wanna say nonames cuz they browse this board that NEED to start writing.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck
he screws up enough for me to believe he doesnt write..... its small details that are off (out the country but the BLUEberry still connect.)

Hov doesnt Write...Big didnt either...it was said the during the recording of BK's finest, they both found out neither of em wrote...Big wuld sit in thestudio for hours smoking, messing with groupies and drinking...pacing back and forth then just spit off top

I remember reading an article back in like '03-'04 where Em said that he wrote because he like to put effortinto his music and those who didn't spend time on there music weren't making quality at all....

who cares, as long as the song is good

i thought tie my hands by wayne was a great song, so wether he wrote or not, it was cool in my book

Originally Posted by hajman23

Yea this has never made sense to me. I mean sure sometimes you might have some ideas and you can just flow off top and have it sound good, but c'mon, we all know Waynes songs would be better if he actually thought about what he was sayin before after he said it. Its kind of like the waiter or waitress that thinks they're hot shh cuz they don't need to write down everyones orders. Its all good until the mess your damn food up and then you're like, why the hell didn't they just write it down!? Same way I feel about Waynes verses sometimes.
The whole rapping off the top is overrated, and usually not done for the whole song. I don't rap but when I write songs, they usually come outwhole sort of like flowing off the top, but unless I right it down at most I can hope to remember the chorus and maybe a verse. On the other hand , there areother times where after writing it down I might notice it needs a chorus, and that comes whenever it does. (meaning either right away or days/weeks/monthslater)
Like dukes was referring to there are times when I've tried to think/plan it out but i'd say 99/100x results in a weaker song compared to if Iwould've just let it flow out and then edit.

yall not thinking like rappers..have u ever freestyled cold..like had to start the cipher off..yea its hard..but once u been goin back and forth for awhiledope lines start poppin out the air..mind u these are these dudes jobs..they in the studio all damn day..its not really that hard to fathom lol

-I see why they do it the ones proven to do it Jay, Big, Wayne have damn near flawless flows and it's not by coincidence. Memorizing a whole verse in yourhead gives a better opportunity to adjust to the beat and concentrate more on the flow. It's not like these dudes are actually freestyling songs in thebooth.

- It's no different from one of us remembering are favorite verses repetition will lead to u eventually memorizing it. It also gives you more room forerror because if you come in with a certain rhyme scheme in place you can switch around words and make it sound as if it was always like that

I don't understand this process either. Just like in college when you write an essay you have to edit, add, and proof read. You don't hand in yourrough draft like everything is peachy.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

he screws up enough for me to believe he doesnt write..... its small details that are off (out the country but the BLUEberry still connect.)
That wasn't a mistake.
explain...?

As I understand it, it's a nickname for the blue colored Blackberry. I've heard it called that outside of Jay saying it.

Back
Top Bottom