why do some gay people find the need to be so flamboyant

Status
Not open for further replies.
first lemme say that i dont have anything against gay people doesnt matter what ur beliefs are they are respected and respect other opinions in this thread

so today i saw some guys in a pretty nice jeep on the 405, the kinda jeep in zoolander with no doors and open roof but they had a giant gay pride flag that was hanging from the back of the jeep

and i wanted to know why gay people have to make it known who they are? do they really need to have a big giant flag on the back of the jeep?

given the events from the past couple weeks, its not shocking to see people showing pride/waving flags...

I dunno probably the same reason why minority groups have parades and celebrations dedicated to ethnic, cultural and racial pride.

For the record whenever someone starts a sentence like "no disrespect" or "I don't have a problem with blank but....." you know it's about to be some inflammatory ish

first lemme say that i dont have anything against gay people doesnt matter what ur beliefs are they are respected and respect other opinions in this thread

so today i saw some guys in a pretty nice jeep on the 405, the kinda jeep in zoolander with no doors and open roof but they had a giant gay pride flag that was hanging from the back of the jeep

and i wanted to know why gay people have to make it known who they are? do they really need to have a big giant flag on the back of the jeep?
when you feel as if you and the group you are with are being oppressed or downtrodden upon, oftentimes the best way to overcome that harsh, void like feeling of loneliness and hatred is to be as loud and proud as you can be.  

^ these guys would have understood.

Why dont you ask the same for Irish people, Puerto Ricans, Carribean people, Dominicans etc etc..theres a parade for a lot of groups in NYC. Why cant gay people be proud too??

when you feel as if you and the group you are with are being oppressed or downtrodden upon, oftentimes the best way to overcome that harsh, void like feeling of loneliness and hatred is to be as loud and proud as you can be.  

View media item 474124

^ these guys would have understood.

Please stop comparing the black civil rights movement to the gay civil rights movement.

And I see nothing wrong with repping your flag. Would my big Mexican flag in the back of truck offended you? If you really have no grudge against gay people then a symbol of being gay shouldn't have rubbed you.

Last edited:
They can't be proud??

no they can be proud but i dont understand why they want other citizens like me on the road to know? whats their message?

@MECKS i have never seen a mexican flag on the back of a truck but if i did i would think its wierd. why would it matter to other people whether or not ur mexican or whether or not ur gay .

why do ppl want others to know about what they stand for?

Last edited:
Please stop comparing the black civil rights movement to the gay civil rights movement.

And I see nothing wrong with repping your flag. Would my big Mexican flag in the back of truck offended you? If you really have no grudge against gay people then a symbol of being gay shouldn't have rubbed you.
why?  they weren't slaves?  tell them that.  tell every gay from the beginning of the civilized world until now that they haven't been enslaved.  go 'head, i'll wait.

Last edited:
They can't be proud??
no they can be proud but i dont understand why they want other citizens like me on the road to know? whats their message?

@MECKS i have never seen a mexican flag on the back of a truck but if i did i would think its wierd. why would it matter to other people whether or not ur mexican or whether or not ur gay .

why do ppl want others to know about what they stand for?
have you been watching the news?  People are celebrating the supreme court rulings this week and it's Pride Weekend in SF

Last edited:
Have you ever seen "straight only" water fountains?
Have there ever been public hangings for gays?
Have gays ever been hosed down by police for attempting to perform a peaceful protest.?

Yes it's still hatred and discrimination, but what gays go through is NOWHERE near what African Americans endured.

no i havent been watching the news lately.

OP, do you get mad when you see cars on the 405 with the Lakers flags?

hmm good example, now i kinda understand their situation since i love the lakers and they love being gay i can relate to their show of pride. thanks for the example

Last edited:
Have you ever seen "straight only" water fountains?
Have there ever been public hangings for gays?
Have gays ever been hosed down by police for attempting to perform a peaceful protest.?

Yes it's still hatred and discrimination, but what gays go through is NOWHERE near what African Americans endured.
no but i've been to plenty of places that are 'undercover' hetero only.  nope, no public hangings, only the worst sort of abuse that makes gays kill themselves in the comfort of their own homes, ya know so the rest of the public doesn't have to see it.  nope, gays don't get hosed down, they get beaten.  

sorry bruhs, you're gonna have to accept that black people weren't even the FIRST group to be hated, abused and tortured for nothing and gays are right there in the mix.  if that offends you, you don't even understand the struggle blacks had to go through in the first place.  

gay pride parade was today b. im sure they dont go driving around with a huge flag on their jeep any other days of the year.

C'mon man, you can't compare gay civil rights to Black civil rights. Gay people don't get it even close to as bad as black people got it.
i don't think it's correct for us to make selfish claims to what was essentially a struggle not just for civil rights but, as Malcolm X explained, also a battle for human rights. We don't have the market cornered on historic struggle. Native Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics -- all have had to fight their own civil-rights battles and, like gays, have every right to look to American history (of which the black civil-rights movement is a part) for parallels and inspiration and rationales for their own struggles.  just because gays may not endure the same level of daily physical violence that blacks faced in the Jim Crow south doesn't mean that it "belittles" blacks' experiences to suggest that the discrimination against gays runs parallel to the institutional racism blacks have faced.

i don't think it's correct for us to make selfish claims to what was essentially a struggle not just for civil rights but, as Malcolm X explained, also a battle for human rights. We don't have the market cornered on historic struggle. Native Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics -- all have had to fight their own civil-rights battles and, like gays, have every right to look to American history (of which the black civil-rights movement is a part) for parallels and inspiration and rationales for their own struggles.  
just because gays may not endure the same level of daily physical violence that blacks faced in the Jim Crow south doesn't mean that it "belittles" blacks' experiences to suggest that the discrimination against gays runs parallel to the institutional racism blacks have faced.

I understand what you're saying, but black people had no way out of being discriminated against. A gay person could easily just not act flamboyant or not make it seem as if they were gay, it might be tough, but they can definitely do it. Gays do get discriminated against, but it's not even close to the amount of black people get discriminated against. Why? Because you can't really always tell whose gay, simple as that. So a gay person saying saying they're the new "black civil rights movement" makes no sense. They don't have laws that basically cut them from society(well except gay marriage which just got changed)

I too don't get it but I accept it/ignore it. When I was young I use to think most gay dudes weren't just effeminate but also wanted to be way more like females, hence, hanging out and being brought in to female clicks but when I think about it I don't know of many women on an everyday basis as flamboyant as a lot of gay dudes. I can point to maybe a few famous female celebs but not chicks around the way.

It's insensitive and disgusting the same people that compare blacks to gay civil rights

are the same people saying racism doesn't exist, get over it it happened years ago. etc etc

You never hear any genocide or any awful happening being compared to the holocaust.

I wish people would stop with the whole gay rights nonsense too, is it really such a struggle? Gays can do everything regular people do except spousal rights which is shifting. That's the big thing? That's suffering, a few taxes and the need to have their love recognized by the government?

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, but black people had no way out of being discriminated against. A gay person could easily just not act flamboyant or not make it seem as if they were gay, it might be tough, but they can definitely do it. Gays do get discriminated against, but it's not even close to the amount of black people get discriminated against. Why? Because you can't really always tell whose gay, simple as that. So a gay person saying saying they're the new "black civil rights movement" makes no sense. They don't have laws that basically cut them from society(well except gay marriage which just got changed)
the ironic part of this is that you don't even understand that you just hit the nail on the head as it pertains to gays and why it's so important that we all agree that no matter what group it is, someone's gotten oppressed and it's shameful all the way around.  suggesting that gays can, 'dress normal,' and 'not make it seem as if they were gay,' IS THE VERY HEART OF WHY THEY FEEL THE NEED TO BE FLAMBOYANT.  have you ever gone an entire day of your life pretending to be something you're not for fear of reprisal?  can you even fathom the amount of fear, shame and hatred that would begin to fester inside after just one day of that?  to be told you have to act a certain way or be a certain type of person just to be able to get through your day?  to look in the mirror and be ashamed and angry at the same time because you can't be you?  i doubt that very much.  
mean.gif
  *****, study up some martin luther king and malcolm x. 

It's not insensitive or disgusting.

It's just different levels of a struggle.

You can't take people's opinions on matters and tell them their wrong about feeling a certain way.

You can feel however you want but be yourself. If someone feels offended that you belittle their struggle on the path to your own thats their opinion too.

The two civil rights are apples to oranges.

it is it's like telling someone you're struggling to make ends meet to purchase a simple pair of sneakers because your current ones have holes in them.

And some rich ******* is like tell me about it my mom is making me decide between t he new yeezy or foams even though I work so hard in school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom