Why do we say "bless you" when someone sneezes?

I don't say it and when I get called out on it I question the hell out of the person. If they pull that it's common courtesy or just manners and beingpolite I then ask how come we don't say anything when a person coughs? or when a person passes gas? Those are both involuntary like sneezing but sneezinggets this special treatment
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

I remember some fairytale scare tactic about your soul trying to escape through your nose and the magical words of "GOD bless you" sealing your soulback in your body
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by truubrasilian33

^^
yeah like they mentioned when someone sneezes their hearts stops.

also we say in brasilian "saude" which means health.

somebody hit this fool with some stoneface gif's cause I don't even want to bother

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by psykhO

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

your heart stops when you sneeze...

Italians say "salute" which means "health."
You sure Italians say salute? French people say that

yea... I speak fluent Italian

he's right. i know both , they're real similar...obviously.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

The reason I heard has to do with the Bubonic Plague that hit Europe back when.

Sneezing was a sign of almost certain death and hence the reason people would offer their blessings.
Yup, that is where saying "Bless You" after you sneeze originally came from.

Whenever stuff like this come up I think of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. I be on some Larry David +#!+
laugh.gif
...I wanna know the reasoning behind everything before I go throwing around godbless you's and all that common courtesy behavior. Are you dying?...no?...are you at least sick?...no? you'll be fine
roll.gif

i dont say bless you anymore. instead i say swine flu
grin.gif

ok my bad that %$%$ is wack.
laugh.gif

"Origin. Ancient man believed that his breath was also his soul or "essence of life." When God made man, he "breathed into his nostrils thebreath of life." A rapid departure of that breath--a sneeze--is the same as expelling life from one's body. Also, it leaves a vacuum in the head whichevil spirits can enter. Roman citizens feared sneezing when a plague hit their city during the reign of Pope Gregory the Great. Since they regarded the sneezeas a sure sign of approaching sickness, Pope Gregory in situated the use of the phrase "God bless you" to shield sneezers from any ill effects."
[emoji]169[/emoji] 1975 - 1981 by David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace
Reproduced with permission from "The People's Almanac" series of books.

I think that it originated back during the plague. Sneezing was a sign that you had it or something. Kind of explains itself.

Back
Top Bottom