Why does J Cole get a pass but not Drake? Vol. Started from the bottom

First things first, amidst all the Drizzy Drake haters out there, I'm a big fan of both Cole and Drake.  I feel that they definitely are great in their own manner for what they bring to the plate today with this weaker generation of artists out there.  I can see why a lot of people "hate" Drake for the fact that he didn't really have a life story on the same "street" level as an Eminem, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, etc. 

However, why does everyone seem to overlook the fact that Cole went to college in NYC on a scholarship after coming from a hick town in North Carolina who played on the bball team in high school?!  Homie just did an interview that before he blew up, he had on office job in NYC in which his apartment manager gave him breaks on his rent and took it easy on his transition from the "after college life" to being a star. 

I understand Drake isn't an Eazy E coming up gangbanging, but Cole is no Daz Dillinger by any means either!  His biggest issue before putting out the Warm Up must have been getting to the rec center before it closed for pickup games, or figuring out the name to one of the shorty's that lived in his dorm...

Discuss

To be a great rapper, is going through poverty throughout your childhood a requirement ?
I'm not the one saying it is- it's a double edged sword..  If you're gonna take that approach on Drake, Cole has to share some of the heat too.  Like I said, I don't think it matters, and like both of them..  If Drake was putting out Chief Keef kind of BS, then it'd be a diff story. 

I don't really care about where they came from... As long as they make good music, that's what im a fan of. Besides, it's not like either of them are going around pushing some fake persona like Ross or something :lol:

Nobody in real life even listens to J Cole. That's why. He's only famous on the internet.
View media item 273425

To OP, I think people make fun of Drake because of the Degrassi thing, not because he wasn't a gangbanger or w/e. I guess J Cole being a normal college kid is considered "better" than playing a dude in a wheelchair on a TV show.

Im pretty sure Big Sean had a 3.0 GPA but fool keep rapping bout how college aint for him and how teachers thought he wasnt ****. Most of these rappers past is ignored by the quality of music they made. *cough* Rick Ross *cough*

nobody cares about j cole and nobody knows his back story except his die hard fans so they're not gonna mention it... it doesnt even matter tho... has nothing to do with music

When J Cole tells the stories about struggling etc in his raps, they're generally portrayed as stories of someone else's experiences. The appeal of him isn't his ability to describe what he has actually been through, but his ability to tell stories about others. I don't listen to Drake, but from the NT comedy it seems like dude has all kind of issues with appearing to be a simp/loser etc. I think it's definitely slightly more impressive when a rapper can tell about his own experiences in an intriguing way, like Kendrick in GKMC, but I see nothing wrong when a rapper tells stories about others as long as they use the third person not the first person.

When did J. Cole ever claim that "street level"? Drake is a fraud because he portrayed himself as the night manager at Drugmart when he never actually worked there.

Nobody in real life even listens to J Cole. That's why. He's only famous on the internet.

I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be funny while you were posting, but do you not remember his album sales? And Work Out/Can't Get Enough/Nobody's Perfect plastered everywhere? His singles weren't really on heading into the release of his album, but they all picked up steam once it dropped. Pretty stupid statement, and I'm not even a J.Cole fan.

drake is the bigger star so he gets talked about more

And this

Last edited:
Nothing can be verified . . . all of this is stereotypes . . . we do not know what type of life these dudes lived before the fame . . . .stop worrying so much about "authenticity" and just enjoy the music.

I'm sure some dude is gonna come in saying "Well back in da day, da game was based on authenticity" and to be honest, the only reason it seems that way is because there wasn't 24/7 interviews and there was no internet 15 years ago to stalk people's childhoods . . .

Your favorite rapper is probably a damn lie and has definitely exaggerated. No matter the generation. If anything, Cole, Drake, Sean, Wale, etc. are probably the most authentic because they never talk about selling drugs or killing people.

I don't recall Cole rapping about street ***** ****, he basically raps about stuff that he or someone else went through

I don't recall Cole rapping about street ***** ****, he basically raps about stuff that he or someone else went through
umm j.cole raps and curses of street drama pretty fluently on his records.

what he doesn't rap about is heavy drugs.

Back
Top Bottom