Why Does Rap Sound So Bad Live?

Now I know some rappers can actually sound good live, but a majority sound HORRIBLE live. Why would they rap so fast on the CD if they can't even go nearlyas fast live? Honestly, most of the rappers I've heard live you can't even tell it is them, it leaves you wanting. It makes me wonder how some of theseguys got famous in the first place. Anybody else feel this way?

I hate those rappers that bring their whole *$%%*%@ crews on the damn stage, yo. And some of them smoke so much weed they can't keep up with their ownlyrics.

I hate those rappers that bring their whole *$%%*%@ crews on the damn stage, yo. And some of them smoke so much weed they can't keep up with their own lyrics.

That's another epidemic. These dudes bring about 10-15 dudes on stage when you know the song they are singing was only done by one dude. So those goons endup just echoing whatever the main rapper sings. They're just on stage flinging a towel and doing nothing for the song.

if you know the words it doesnt sound as bad...but i know what you mean.
some rappers just dont have a good voice for performing. i.e. talib

if you know the words it doesnt sound as bad...but i know what you mean.
some rappers just dont have a good voice for performing. i.e. talib

But how do you get famous in the first place then if you don't have that unique voice? I mean, don't most rappers start their careers doing live shows?So shouldn't that mean what they do is unique and not just plain yelling/talking?

1. Raps sounds "bad" live becaus it's a different type of performance altogether. It's not as melodic as singing and not nearly as polishedon stage as in the studio. It's very hard on the lungs as well, much harder than singing with whole, full notes.

Why would they rap so fast on the CD if they can't even go nearly as fast live? Honestly, most of the rappers I've heard live you can't even tell it is them, it leaves you wanting.

It's the same "studio magic" that talentless singers use. And even those that can keep pace with their words still use technology to polish upthe sound so as to present the best product possible to the masses. You ever heard some of these RnB cats live? It's way worse IMO.

Also factor in that when they're rapping in the booth, they're standing there, comfortable, and can have multiple takes if it's a bad one.

Whereas when they're live, they're moving around, on stage in front of people, and only have one chance to do it right.

I hate those rappers that bring their whole *$%%*%@ crews on the damn stage,
there was a concert with juelz and jim jones at my school, them!+*$!*$ must've brought half of Harlem with them onstage.
laugh.gif

If you're talking in concerts its because rappers don't put that much effort in their music and practicing to atleast sound good, If rappers practicedhalf as much they'd be half as good as Blackthought.

If you're talking on guess spots like late night shows I happen to think they sound good, its nice to hear a live bands approach to the instrumental andthe rapper seems more poised cuz the setting is a lil more initimate.

smokin.gif

They sound like !#** because they don't have all the studio enhancers to make them sound worth listening to.

The Roots are the only exception because they actually play music.

- Tical.

Man if I ever get on I'm using Live bands every performance and I'm actually practicing. I hate half of these rappers they suck anyway, there studiostuff doesn't even sound that good.

its cuz they're usually rappin over the song instead of the intrumental... plus there's no doubles... rappers wit higher pitched voices(like myself) domultiple layers to make their voice thicker... u cant do that #@+! live...

Its hiphop 2 turntables and a microphone. This is hiphop not pop who cares what they sound like as long as they performed your favorite songs and didnt jetearly its all good.

The reason it sounds awful is because most of the time, us rappers are using crappy dynamic mics when performing, we're moving around all hype and #!#%,outta breath, sweating. Now compare that to just standing in a studio booth with A/C rapping...

Per my experience rappers don't practice like as much as Rock bands. Then there is people like Kast that use to run around the block rapping there rhymesso they wouldn't lose breath when they would perform.

thank god for THE ROOTS.
Black Thought controls his breath throughout performances so well. Amazing how you can be that energetic yet still have the lungs to drop rhymeslike he does.

The Roots are amazing live. pretty much one of the most awesome live performances ive ever seen. and anytime they back anyone, it sounds good. they are justincredibly gifted musically.

Back
Top Bottom