Why does the media pretend these college athletes aint eating?

Sorry but a dude playing ball for SM ******g U shouldn't get paid. :lol:

I could see if he played for a school that generated major cash flow, but SMU, nope.

This is where it's going to be tough. Kids at SMU wanting USC/Bama/Michigan/etc. money. **** outta here. :lol:

SMU's football program generated a profit. Should they get the money that kids that got to Texas get? Nope. That's how a business works. People who work for more successful companies typically get paid more.

The sooner people realize that big time college sports is a business first and foremost and get over this notion of amateurism the better.

Last edited:
On a side note, its a hypothetical but what would happen if numerous high profile athletes and programs just did their dirt', made it obvious they didn't care if the university got violaions due to their actions and just took side money, accepted gifts etc and the consensus was that the majority of college football and basketball players were going to either get their money on the side unless the NCAA changed things.

I think the NCAA should either paid the kids or just let them get money. Let dudes sign endorsement deals and accept whatever boosters want to give them.

SMU's football program generated a profit. Should they get the money that kids that got to Texas get? Nope. That's how a business works. People who work for more successful companies typically get paid more.

The sooner people realize that big time college sports is a business first and foremost and get over this notion of amateurism the better.

SMU football did generate profit. Like most football programs do. However the athletic department broke even. So profit went bye bye.

So tell your boy he worked, trained, played hard to put his girl through school cause technically he did. Football and basketball fund non-revenue sports.

SMU football did generate profit. Like most football programs do. However the athletic department broke even. So profit went bye bye.

So tell your boy he worked, trained, played hard to put his girl through school cause technically he did. Football and basketball fund non-revenue sports.

No **** I know this which is why I think its nuts for football and basketball to support those programs.

They shouldn't exist if they don't turn a profit or break even only hurdle would be Title IX

On a side note, its a hypothetical but what would happen if numerous high profile athletes and programs just did their dirt', made it obvious they didn't care if the university got violaions due to their actions and just took side money, accepted gifts etc and the consensus was that the majority of college football and basketball players were going to either get their money on the side unless the NCAA changed things.
:lol: If any school openly tried to do that the NCAA would hit them with that ether. They would be banned from participating in collegiate sports.

Johnny Manziel has single handedly made A&M millions of dollars. I don't think he will able to play in the pros.

Dude in and of himself has brought millions into that program and can't make a dime of it. His backup's backup is going to get the same scholarship.

Once again only in college sports is this acceptable in America.
:lol: @ taking the most high profile in college sports and doing a comparison... but OK... I'll play.

1. you just took the top .0001% of college football in the last decade. of course there are exceptions.

2. let's keep it funky... do you REALLY think... HONESTLY... that if johnny football decided to get a regular job like you and I, he'd have a problem? combined exposure, networking, and name brand, famb could find a $100k job outta college like that...

3. I agree that the rules need to be changed. schollys need to be in 4 year contracts instead of one.

4. SMU came off the death penalty, famb... bad example... but still, you working internships, and coming out 30k in debt... your bro STILL copped a free education, and STILL had more chances at networking and getting a job than you did simply cuz of SMU. again, I love in Dallas, so I know their pull. if your bro made his mind up, he could get in somewhere because graduating from SMU around here means something .

5. I believe in a fund that they collect upon graduating... $10k, $5k whatever... they should be able to get some money.

6. Verizon CEO made $22 mil last year... you work at Verizon and at best pulled in $80k. a star sales rep makes $100k, while bringing in half a million in revenue... Texas a&m football coach is set to make 3.1 mil... johnny football got a $30k scholly, free place to live, free food to eat, connections that will last a lifetime, PLUS I'm sure a monthly allowance, north of $1500... how much uiu think all of the perks amounted up to monetarily?
similar to that Verizon employee

Football players don't have the same luxury but I wouldn't mind seeing more and more college basketball players play overseas in Europe or somewhere else and get paid then go to the NBA then put a fake "student athlete" label on for a 1 and done season.

School isn't for everyone, some people make the most of the scholarship academic wise and further advance their education. For them the scholarship works. Some athletes are only there because their forced to play a year of college ball before declaring for the draft, in their case why live a lie, play overseas, become more cultured and expierence something new then get drafted rather then be somewhere you don't want to be for a year.
I agree with this...

as far as football, I said it... give them a fund ONCE THEY LEAVE school... that's understandable..

but paying them a salary while in school? they're getting paid in SERVICES (tuition, room and board, free tutors)

if they want to be sponsored by an outside source, then they should be compensated for that, I totally 100% agree. of someone is selling their likeness, then yes they should get paid...

but money? on top of services from the school? trust me bro... these cats ARENT STRUGGLING...

had a homey that played at Texas and got a charger.

had a homey that played at OSU and got NUMEROUs dollars from boosters.

had a homey at Florida state that got an "athletic discount" on an apartment... paying $400 on a $1500 apartment. :lol:

this notion that college athletes, ESPECIALLY BIG TIME athletes, are in a cold dorm warming up noodles in the microwave is flat laughable to me. 90% of athletes are living better than 90% of their college classmates...

This talk about a band guy and a top athlete at a D1 school is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Johnny Manziel is out there chillin with Drake, going to NBA Finals games and **** as a sophomore in college...he ain't paying a dime for any of that. Every college ball player I know has every Jordan release that comes out, a pair of Dre Beats and new clothes every time you see them. A good chunk of dudes I know got Chargers too...I've never asked them how it came about but I know for DAMN sure them or their families didn't pay for it. These are dudes that barely qualify academically and come from really low income housing for the most part. I'd say they're living pretty damn good.

The problem is its too many different schools and levels that these schools are on....Yea somebody hoopin at UNC is bringing in more money/exposure to the school, but at the same time they got way better benefits than a player at UNC Greensboro...its alotta low to mid D1 schools around me and these dudes just like regular college kids...they dont got big money but they definitely got alotta **** taking care of for them

You could give most of these idiot d1 players more bread and they'd just blow thru it and still never go to class -- my point: it doesn't change their life at all. If anything it would get most of those morons in more trouble

Exactly my point. No matter how much money you give these 18-20 year old kids that for the most part aren't even going to class they're still gonna blow through their money on the same **** and just get themselves in more trouble.

:lol: If any school openly tried to do that the NCAA would hit them with that ether. They would be banned from participating in collegiate sports.

I know if one individual school or player did it they would be blackballed so badly, but if numerous teams/players did it I wonder what the results would be. Enough players/teams where if they came down hard on everyone it would seriously dilute that talent level and big name players playing.

Imo some middle ground needs to be reached, like I said earlier basketball players have a plan B overseas if college truely isn't for them. Football players don't, of course their not struggling and starving as some people would suggest but a little something extra thrown their way under the condition they attend class and take school seriously would be a decent idea and then crack down on all the under the table shady stuff. Give some type of incentive to play by the rules and make it where the risks of doing things underhanded isn't worth the reward.

All you dudes saying "they will just blow the money anyway" are missing the point.

THEY EARNED THAT MONEY!

It is your right to spend your money however you please.

And everyone talking about well only a few athletes bring in x amount of revenue. So what? That is for the school to determine how to pay the players if a pay to play scheme was ever put in place. If you as a player do not like it you go to a school that you feel compensates you fairly. (just like now except it would be transparent and over the table instead of under the table)

People talking about the "services" they receive that is great as long as you are in college but you cannot "save" those services and use them later like you could do with cash. They should at least be given a cash option.

But for the sake of simplicity and reality just let the players make money off of their own name and I would be happy. There is no reason for Johnny Manziel to receive his "compensation" in a back alley with the risk of being suspended from playing just so the lower level players do not feel left out even though they know he is getting it anyway. It is just stupid. The reason the players do not get paid "legally" is purely a political/public relations decision by the NCAA that has no purpose but to make them look like they "are not about the money but about the children". Which we know is a total crock of ****.

Last edited:
One of my closest homeboys was real good friends with a certain big ten guard. This was back in 07/08 and he was highly recruited by top schools and u know what made him decide? $$$$$$. Dude basically said one day while we were all playing 2k that he was paid 5 figures up front to jus sign on the line. Dude had a tricked out apartment, mercury marauder/ r/t charger/ range rover on campus. Son is straight from the hood so he went crazy bragging and buyin all types of ****. From that day on i realized that the high profile athletes do get paid and are taken care of.

I know if one individual school or player did it they would be blackballed so badly, but if numerous teams/players did it I wonder what the results would be. Enough players/teams where if they came down hard on everyone it would seriously dilute that talent level and big name players playing.

Imo some middle ground needs to be reached, like I said earlier basketball players have a plan B overseas if college truely isn't for them. Football players don't, of course their not struggling and starving as some people would suggest but a little something extra thrown their way under the condition they attend class and take school seriously would be a decent idea and then crack down on all the under the table shady stuff. Give some type of incentive to play by the rules and make it where the risks of doing things underhanded isn't worth the reward.
that's why I say give them a severance package upon graduation...

kinda like a pension fund... you stay 4 years and graduate, you get %100 of the fund...

3 years, 50%...

or something like that...

That is a very good idea.

But they still need to let the kids make money off of their own name. There is no reason that all of the money these guys receive should cause them to potentially lose their college eligibility.

The reason there is a black market for their services is because they are underpaid. The way to get rid of the black market is to make it legal.

So high school kids should get paid too right? HS football in the Midwest is a huge money maker for the schools.

People don't understand the its VOLUNTARY with perks NOT a job

So high school kids should get paid too right? HS football in the Midwest is a huge money maker for the schools.

People don't understand the its VOLUNTARY with perks NOT a job

Why shouldnt they get paid?

HS players do not have as much "value" as college players so there is less of a market but why not? If it is generating any profit for the respective institution they should get a cut of it.

Last edited:
Why shouldnt they get paid?

HS players do not have as much "value" as college players so there is less of a market but why not? If it is generating any profit for the respective institution they should get a cut of it.
Why shouldn't unpaid interns get paid? Why shouldn't volunteers get paid?

Standardized testing brings in money for schools too. Why don't the kids who score high get paid?

Why shouldn't unpaid interns get paid? Why shouldn't volunteers get paid?

Standardized testing brings in money for schools too. Why don't the kids who score high get paid?

Unpaid interns do not get paid because they agree to that.

There are plenty of paid internships for you to CHOOSE.

There is no choice here and that is the issue.

I am trying to address the huge black market in college athletics that these players risk their eligibility for. This black market does not exist in HS. The easiest way to get rid of the shady business that goes on in college athletics is to let the players get paid in a transparent fashion.

What you are describing is not a problem that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Unpaid interns do not get paid because they agree to that.

There are plenty of paid internships for you to CHOOSE.

There is no choice here and that is the issue.
You just answered your own question there my friend. Athletes CHOOSE to participate knowing they're not getting paid. Playing at the college level is the "internship" of the NBA, NFL, MLB... Ect. Don't wanna do it? Don't..... See how far you get

Last edited:
You just answered your own question there my friend. Athletes CHOOSE to participate knowing they're not getting paid. Playing at the college level is the "internship" of the NBA, NFL, MLB... Ect. Don't wanna do it? Don't..... See how far you get

But there is no paid option for college football players so no they do not choose it.

Last edited:
But there is no paid option for college football players so no they do not choose it.
Added late

Playing at the college level is the "internship" of the NBA, NFL, MLB... Ect. Don't wanna do it? Don't..... See how far you get.

There is also international ball, minor league, Canadian foot ball, arena football ect....

Last edited:
Added late

Playing at the college level is the "internship" of the NBA, NFL, MLB... Ect. Don't wanna do it? Don't..... See how far you get

I totally understand why the NCAA wants things done this way but they do not have the power that they are exercising right now.

The players have all the power and that is why they let them take money under the table and pretend they are enforcing it.

I want to get rid of that farce of a system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom