Why does the media pretend these college athletes aint eating?

fontaine

Banned
as an ex college athlete, i just shake my head at them saying they should get paid...

i'm pretty sure a lot of people here have either played college sports, or came in contact with someone that has played college sports...

and no... these stories that they're eating noodles and **** is not true (outside of low level schools, D3s, NAIA, etc)

I played NAIA and mid major D1... and i was NOT HURTING for cash... combine pell grants, grants that fell out of the sky, stipend checks, money filled handshakes... no, you're not hurting...

am i missing something? i didnt even play at the biggest schools.. but i had friends that did... and all the stuff they got was ridonk...

had a homey that was playing football at university of houston.. $1500 stipend per month for apartments + meal plan... :lol:

come on, yo.... what do yall think?

i agree that if they're capitalizing of your likeness, you should get paid... but the athletes get tutoring, free school, free bud, free liquor, access to the top yambs... like, they're not doing bad, yo..

Ehh 1500 a month really ain't that much money if you gotta pay rent

My brother went to SMU, got that much and to live anywhere kinda close to campus a 2 bedroom is running 1300-1500 a month

Add in lights and cable and that 1500 turned into 700 a month.

Dude still needed gas and the only meals were provided were when they were on the road or at practice

Last edited:
While coaches are getting in excess of 6 figures, schools getting millions for bowl games and tv contracts reaching the billions.

Ok Bob Stoops.

While coaches are getting in excess of 6 figures, schools getting millions for bowl games and tv contracts reaching the billions.

Ok Bob Stoops.

OP you're right college athletes are eatin and the media doesn't really seem to acknowledge it. But Chuck has a point too, percentage wise they aren't recouping the revenue they generate. In the end they ain't eatin

I remember seeing Draymond Green pull up to the club in a Bentley his sophmore year at State, :smh: athletes at big name schools definitely aren't hurting. Not sure about smaller schools, though.

Last edited:
Just because some N lets you stunt in the Bentley to hit the club on a weekend doesn't mean you're eating.

At Cal a $1500 stipend for living expenses will get you an unspectacular one bedroom apartment to yourself 0.5 miles from campus.

No one said there wasn't perks but lets not act like the institutions are getting the short end of the stick here OR that it's an equal trade off. 

Last edited:
as an ex college athlete, i just shake my head at them saying they should get paid...

i'm pretty sure a lot of people here have either played college sports, or came in contact with someone that has played college sports...

and no... these stories that they're eating noodles and **** is not true (outside of low level schools, D3s, NAIA, etc)

I played NAIA and mid major D1... and i was NOT HURTING for cash... combine pell grants, grants that fell out of the sky, stipend checks, money filled handshakes... no, you're not hurting...

am i missing something? i didnt even play at the biggest schools.. but i had friends that did... and all the stuff they got was ridonk...

had a homey that was playing football at university of houston.. $1500 stipend per month for apartments + meal plan... :lol:

come on, yo.... what do yall think?

i agree that if they're capitalizing of your likeness, you should get paid... but the athletes get tutoring, free school, free bud, free liquor, access to the top yambs... like, they're not doing bad, yo..

As a former college athlete myself I agree with pretty much everything you said.

And the whole "eating ramen noodles" thing is ridiculous. You get all you can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the cafeteria and if you're at a big-time school they'll basically give you an unlimited amount of flex points to use at the other places on campus like Chickfila, Subway, etc. You're a college student on your own away from your parents for the first time...if you don't budget your money that your getting from Pell Grants and such, and spend it all on Jordans, Ciroc and weed then yeah your *** is gonna be eating ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese whenever you don't go to the cafeteria. That's their fault.

And what are you dudes talking about with apartment bills and ****? 90% of athletes live ON CAMPUS. Paid for completely.

Though I agree quite a bit about your original post OP (I went to a smaller school, and competed against bigger schools, so I got a bit of both, but....

Ok Bob Stoops.

^^^This. We're all sort of blinded by the guys with the spotlight always on them, but nobody really is concerned with the 4th WR or 3rd string safeties who aren't getting that shine/money like the top guys. Everybody can't be the stars, but people overlook that there are more non-stars than the big time dudes. There's 1000's of student-athletes at multiple colleges, and out of the thousands of these athletes, [in the case] the NFL whittles them down to less than 2000 guys (just going by 32 teams x 53 players for the final rosters). One reason I never fret about the money, is cause you're opening pandora's box. What you do for this person, you have to do for the next. If you scale back money here, then you have to scale back somewhere else. I think the NCAA really has a problem on their hands, cause these types of issues pick up steam no matter how much they try to hold it off. They'll have to figure out a solution sooner or later, and I'm very interested at what it will be.

They aren't starving, that I think we can all agree on. They have meal plans, and a lot of them live in nice off-campus student apt complexes. 

My thing is that its still not enough. If I am a player, and I turned on NCAA 2014 and saw myself on there, I'd be heated. If I was a player and I saw my jersey in the bookstore being sold for $65 a pop, I'd be pissed too. The school makes millions off me and my teammates, yet they think its satisfactory to give me a $1500/month stipend. IMO, bumping that up to $2500-3000 a month would go a long way in solving some of these discrepancies. 

Last edited:
Money filled handshakes are illegal as are half the other things that athletes recieve so yeah they're eating and everyone knows it but the point of the entire argument from day one is they're not supposed to be getting those benefits. Even when they do they are still getting pennies compared to the school and coach

I don't agree with "coaches make this much"

CEOs pulling in 20 mil....

front line employees aren't making that cuz they're replaceable, just like the athlete...

@sneaker pro: I'm sorry, but I KNOW how much SMU costs.

that's 40k a year right there.

free tuition? that's money right there, bro...

I always thought about this... now I'm in grad school and its magnified.

also, I live in Dallas. he CHOSE to stay in those high *** apartments. lol. uptown is high as giraffe balls.

Last edited:
Lol..............giving a college kid $3000 a month free money. Please kind sir, elaborate on what exactly you think these 18-20 year olds are going to be spending on their checks that doesn't involve sneakers, clothes, weed, tattoos and alchohol.

okay while the school makes millions and u get 1500 u gucci?

bad mentality bruh

I gave you a rep by mistake when trying to quote you. You sound real intelligent "tha docta advocate". These kids are getting the chance of a lifetime by getting a free education at prestigious schools that many highly intelligent kids across the country can't even get into. The universities are responsible for even giving these kids the chance to turn into the nationwide celebrities they become, and giving them the exposure needed to be seen by professional scouts. If they don't want that and wanna be paid because of how much coaches make then they can take their *** to Europe for a year and see where that takes them.

front line employees aren't making that cuz they're replaceable, just like the athlete...

also, I live in Dallas. he CHOSE to stay in those high *** apartments. lol. uptown is high as giraffe balls.

Giving kids free tuition is like Verizon giving me a free cell phone that **** don't really cost them nothing.

His girlfriend had a tennis scholarship got the same perks and ain't more the 200 people showing up for them matches and they ain't have to no media contract. How the hell is that equitable.

okay while the school makes millions and u get 1500 u gucci?

bad mentality bruh

I gave you a rep by mistake when trying to quote you. You sound real intelligent "tha docta advocate". These kids are getting the chance of a lifetime by getting a free education at prestigious schools that many highly intelligent kids across the country can't even get into. The universities are responsible for even giving these kids the chance to turn into the nationwide celebrities they become, and giving them the exposure needed to be seen by professional scouts. If they don't want that and wanna be paid because of how much coaches make then they can take their *** to Europe for a year and see where that takes them.

Get this **** outta here.

Less than 1.7% of D-1 athletes go pro. So what good is this exposure really doing when 98.5% of these kids aren't making it to the next level?

Kids should be compensated because of the enormus revunues they generate period.

Only in big time college athletics is it an absurd notion that the proletariat doesn't receive any compensation for what they produce.

Football players don't have the same luxury but I wouldn't mind seeing more and more college basketball players play overseas in Europe or somewhere else and get paid then go to the NBA then put a fake "student athlete" label on for a 1 and done season.

School isn't for everyone, some people make the most of the scholarship academic wise and further advance their education. For them the scholarship works. Some athletes are only there because their forced to play a year of college ball before declaring for the draft, in their case why live a lie, play overseas, become more cultured and expierence something new then get drafted rather then be somewhere you don't want to be for a year.

I had over 30000 in student debt when I graduated but I got a job two days before graduation because I was able to work and get interships. I went to a non-selective state school and broke 65K before I turned 30. Why? Because of work experience and internships I was able to get. High level D-1 athletes don't have this option.

I look at all my brother's teammates and dudes I went to school with that were on scholarship and it blows my mind that a kid on a band scholarship gets the exact same compensation package they do and if the kid on the band scholarship wants to drop a CD and go platinum he can, hell band scholarship kid can get a job but athletes? nope.

Also I need to know what prestigious schools these kids wouldn't be able to get into that they are able to get into because they are athletes.

Real prestigious schools don't give breaks to athletes like that. Sure are standards lowered but a kid that would be going to community college ain't getting into Michigan, Notre Dame or any other top notch school because he's an athlete without at least decent grades.

Frankly the perks of yambs, weed, and drink is short term crap that isn't going to benefit you long term.

Look at Ryan Swope, A&M sold thousands of 25 t-shirts and that dude ain't gonna see a dime and now is brain is scrambled.

But he got the same scholarship a Tuba player got :lol: Yup that makes sense.

Last edited:

A lot of the athletes aren't really replaceable though (hence why they entice them with illegal benefits to come to the school). Especially not among top tier schools where there's so much competition for elite players.

What Johnny Manziel is doing for Texas A&M isn't replaceable. What Tim Tebow did for Florida isn't replaceable. What Reggie Bush did for USC isn't replaceable.

Johnny Manziel has single handedly made A&M millions of dollars. I don't think he will able to play in the pros.

Dude in and of himself has brought millions into that program and can't make a dime of it. His backup's backup is going to get the same scholarship.

Once again only in college sports is this acceptable in America.

Sorry but a dude playing ball for SM ******g U shouldn't get paid. :lol:

I could see if he played for a school that generated major cash flow, but SMU, nope.

This is where it's going to be tough. Kids at SMU wanting USC/Bama/Michigan/etc. money. **** outta here. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom