"Why don't a majority African American's have there own business ?"

I heard tariq nasheed say it best alot of black folks are afraid to support their own business and start one.We put our money into Church,Clothing shoes ,and clubs.I really think alot of black people are intimidated by black businesse and or afraid to open one. I have seen black people straight up say oh I can make this at my house when going to a black restaurant.When they will go to Sonic or Mcdonalds and order a hot dog or a hamburger.Something they damn sure know they can make at home.We gotta overcome our own insecurity's and self defeat .Sad thing is this is a new mindset it didnt always be like this

I heard tariq nasheed say it best alot of black folks are afraid to support their own business and start one.We put our money into Church,Clothing shoes ,and clubs.I really think alot of black people are intimidated by black businesse and or afraid to open one. I have seen black people straight up say oh I can make this at my house when going to a black restaurant.When they will go to Sonic or Mcdonalds and order a hot dog or a hamburger.Something they damn sure know they can make at home.We gotta overcome our own insecurity's and self defeat .Sad thing is this is a new mindset it didnt always be like this

Because they are always in everybody else's.

But seriously, I thought the content of OP's post was going to be the punchline to a joke.

Because they are always in everybody else's.

But seriously, I thought the content of OP's post was going to be the punchline to a joke.

The disenfranchisement of black ppl on a social level is the main reason and it funny/sad cuz we've gotten to the point where if we were thinking reasonably we would apply that ambition to being a drug dealer or robber to business in such a way where we could provide for ourselves in our own communities. Thing is it'd take a little more work which many aren't willing or don't have the appropriate opportunity to do it.

The disenfranchisement of black ppl on a social level is the main reason and it funny/sad cuz we've gotten to the point where if we were thinking reasonably we would apply that ambition to being a drug dealer or robber to business in such a way where we could provide for ourselves in our own communities. Thing is it'd take a little more work which many aren't willing or don't have the appropriate opportunity to do it.

In my opinion the african american/black community is screwed beyond all hopes, honestly you might as well just go to college and get a blue color job

like we're destined to fail, its hopeless

we have to get a blue collar job and work for the white man

If the majority of african americans Malcolm x who encouraged ownership of our own businesses it would be different

but its just my opinion

In my opinion the african american/black community is screwed beyond all hopes, honestly you might as well just go to college and get a blue color job

like we're destined to fail, its hopeless

we have to get a blue collar job and work for the white man

If the majority of african americans Malcolm x who encouraged ownership of our own businesses it would be different

but its just my opinion

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Confidence, ambition, lack of good precedence, prejudice...take your pick.

All those things have one thing in common, they can all be overcome.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Confidence, ambition, lack of good precedence, prejudice...take your pick.

All those things have one thing in common, they can all be overcome.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Erase the black part of the statement. PEOPLE are taught to be servants and honey bees. Not just black people.

to be fair that's sort of how it works.
youre gonna always have more "servants" than business owners because a business needs employees.

and do you know how many small businesses fail/lose money? starting one up is not something most can or should do.

but i suppose you're right, it wouldn't hurt to have a little more entrepreneurship. 

Erase the black part of the statement. PEOPLE are taught to be servants and honey bees. Not just black people.

youre gonna always have more "servants" than business owners because a business needs employees.

and do you know how many small businesses fail/lose money? starting one up is not something most can or should do.

but i suppose you're right, it wouldn't hurt to have a little more entrepreneurship. 

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

-We're raised in the working class or in poverty for the most part. WHICH MEANS, there's no concept of business ownership, only "Survival". Working class kids are raised to....*tada*....work to survive. The resources and opportunities it takes to start a business and watch it struggle before it "catches on" are not available to most of us Blacks. We don't even perceive having a chance at a life out side of the typical 9-5 unless it involves a sport or entertainment of some sort. And those of us that choose the latter are constantly fighting off the crabs in our barrels that don't want to see us escape their same fate. Trust me, there's an IamMD in every neighborhood, not just on NT.

-Business loans and college grants are not as easy to get if you're black, but even if you're lucky...

-It's still very hard to launch a business with Sallie Mae eating through your wallet. So those that become doctors or lawyers don't open private practices (Well, my pops did
pimp.gif
). Most just run off to work for "the man" to pay those bills. So that one opportunity is just that. One person's opportunity. No headway is made in the racial divide and status quo will stay the same.

It's a really good system if sneak-apartheid is your thing..
I agree/understand most of what your saying, except the above highlighted area. Not saying its "easy" but... you know there are a lot of college grants that are directly for minorities and def for my black cats right?

-We're raised in the working class or in poverty for the most part. WHICH MEANS, there's no concept of business ownership, only "Survival". Working class kids are raised to....*tada*....work to survive. The resources and opportunities it takes to start a business and watch it struggle before it "catches on" are not available to most of us Blacks. We don't even perceive having a chance at a life out side of the typical 9-5 unless it involves a sport or entertainment of some sort. And those of us that choose the latter are constantly fighting off the crabs in our barrels that don't want to see us escape their same fate. Trust me, there's an IamMD in every neighborhood, not just on NT.

-Business loans and college grants are not as easy to get if you're black, but even if you're lucky...

-It's still very hard to launch a business with Sallie Mae eating through your wallet. So those that become doctors or lawyers don't open private practices (Well, my pops did
pimp.gif
). Most just run off to work for "the man" to pay those bills. So that one opportunity is just that. One person's opportunity. No headway is made in the racial divide and status quo will stay the same.

I agree/understand most of what your saying, except the above highlighted area. Not saying its "easy" but... you know there are a lot of college grants that are directly for minorities and def for my black cats right?

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Completely true -- most people don't have the business savvy to start a business and sustain it, which is why many small businesses fail to become profitable within one year, or to recoup the debt it took to start it. Sometimes, a successful business is just about locating a niche, or just having a great network and a good opportunity that presents itself. Too often, some people start a business just to start one and that of course, spells disaster. It is good to have a passion for something, but like anything else there is a right and wrong way to do things.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Completely true -- most people don't have the business savvy to start a business and sustain it, which is why many small businesses fail to become profitable within one year, or to recoup the debt it took to start it. Sometimes, a successful business is just about locating a niche, or just having a great network and a good opportunity that presents itself. Too often, some people start a business just to start one and that of course, spells disaster. It is good to have a passion for something, but like anything else there is a right and wrong way to do things.

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

pimp.gif

Of course there are. I got two friends that both graduated Ivy League on full rides. It happens.... but how many Blacks can actually say that? It's rough out there for your typical C/B-student. It's especially tough when you're of color. That's just reality. the two people I know will be the two smartest people I've ever known, as long as I live. I guarantee that. And both are from Gary, Indiana. Imagine the odds. But it's just not your typical story, Pleasure doc..

EDIT: what people fail to realize is that college scholarships are band aids. The inner city school system has AIDS son.. The three of us are outliers. I can't even explain to you how BAD the school system really is and how lucky I am to be able to type in complete, coherent, and structured thoughts. You just don't know kid..
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

pimp.gif

Of course there are. I got two friends that both graduated Ivy League on full rides. It happens.... but how many Blacks can actually say that? It's rough out there for your typical C/B-student. It's especially tough when you're of color. That's just reality. the two people I know will be the two smartest people I've ever known, as long as I live. I guarantee that. And both are from Gary, Indiana. Imagine the odds. But it's just not your typical story, Pleasure doc..

EDIT: what people fail to realize is that college scholarships are band aids. The inner city school system has AIDS son.. The three of us are outliers. I can't even explain to you how BAD the school system really is and how lucky I am to be able to type in complete, coherent, and structured thoughts. You just don't know kid..
30t6p3b.gif

Because they don't know when to use "their" and "there" so loan officers don't take them seriously.

Because they don't know when to use "their" and "there" so loan officers don't take them seriously.

Back
Top Bottom