Why Don't Arenas/Stadiums Supply Tops To The Beers That They Serve Folks?

Went to the Wizards game last night vs ATL. Man fools were spilling beers all over the damn place. I always wondered why tops aren't supplied.

Too much $ wasted?

Someone has to know the answer

if you can enclose liquid inside a container it makes it easier to throw.

most stadiums that they serve 20oz coke bottles they don't give you a cap either.

I think it may have to do with it makes it more likely that you will spill and have to get another one. Its all about the money. Because that is where theymake most of their profits is form the concessions and apparel sales at the events.

I think you may have partially answered your own question. First off without a lid, you tend to spill some everytime, this is almost virtually impossibleto not do. If you spill more, you drink less, if you drink less, you may buy more= More $ for the arena.

At the same time I think this has something to do with open containers and what not. If they sell to you with a lid, it makes transportation more likely. Which leads to an increase in potential that people take the beeer with them when they leave, which then translates to open containers in vehicles.

Originally Posted by infamousod

most stadiums that they serve 20oz coke bottles they don't give you a cap either.
yeah someone was telling me that a while ago and it sounds like the most logical answer

I agree with the first part of that, but I've definitely never had the top taken off of a soda bottle that I bought at a stadium.

Bingo - hard to throw an open container & get any distance with it when the liquid is flying out (no weight to it)
roll.gif
eyes.gif

I also think caps off allows the place to count how many drinks they have sold (if they account for that sort of thing) - I also like the "if it'sopen it will spill so you have to buy another" theory but the angry irate fans throwing projectiles is better overall

not to mention if people are always spilling their beer they have to hire more people to clean it up or have a dirty stadium which leads to people beingaggravated or worse, they could slip and fall because of the spilled beer. and the fact that spilling your beer in the first place causes you to have a badexperience, which is the last thing an organization wants.

I would actually say if there was a real problem with people spilling beer all over the place they would rather put lids.

you all are just clumsy.

(Master of Science in Recreation & Sport Management)

the football game in cleveland a few years back when bottles were thrown, remember that?

im pretty sure that since then they never give the caps. its not because people spill drinks, its so if someone tosses it, it wont go too far.

if they were worried about people dropping things they would give you a wrist strap with your pretzels so those wouldnt fall either

I always thought it had to do with them not wanting you to throw stuff on to the court/field.

at $20 for 12oz, whose throwing beers?

Spoiler [+]
Pacers Fans

Originally Posted by belle155

if they were worried about people dropping things they would give you a wrist strap with your pretzels so those wouldnt fall either
what a stupid comparison

^
laugh.gif
at the spoiler.

I get so pissed when I spill beer at a sporting event. It's like watching dollars hit the floor.

Originally Posted by HLSmooth

at $20 for 12oz, whose throwing beers?

Spoiler [+]
Pacers Fans
Exactly. At what they be charging for concessions you'd have to be stupid or drunk to just throw away a beer cuz someone made a bad call orsomething.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I agree with the first part of that, but I've definitely never had the top taken off of a soda bottle that I bought at a stadium.

yea when I go to jets games they they take the tops off of soda/water bottles. if u try to enter giants stadium with a soda/water bottle that you bought onyour own, they make you throw away the caps before you're allowed in

yeah. prolly so u don't throw it, also why LA serves beer plastic bottles..

It has to do with legal liabilities. Same reason why they cut off drinking in the last quarter. With a closed container you can take it with you and the lastthing an arena needs is some dude getting arrested with their beer in their parking lot crashing into another car because they're wasted. It also makes away for accounting for the number sold. The people selling them in stands don't print receipts or anything-- so if Coke is $2.50 and they have 10 in theircarrier thing, and the seller comes back to their manager at the end of the night with 20 bucks and 10 caps, something's gone wrong.

well i know at yankee stadium they give you soda bottles with the caps.

and at madison square garden, they give you tops to beers (well they do for guinness atleast).

the beer i buy vendors dont walk around with, so i have to go to a stand. i simply take a huge sip before i trek back to my seat, giving atleast an inch ofroom to work with.

besides, i rather it be overfilled and i spill some of it than buy a beer that is only filled like 5/6 of the way, that irks me.

true that. but not with them pistons fans

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

It has to do with legal liabilities. Same reason why they cut off drinking in the last quarter. With a closed container you can take it with you and the last thing an arena needs is some dude getting arrested with their beer in their parking lot crashing into another car because they're wasted. It also makes a way for accounting for the number sold. The people selling them in stands don't print receipts or anything-- so if Coke is $2.50 and they have 10 in their carrier thing, and the seller comes back to their manager at the end of the night with 20 bucks and 10 caps, something's gone wrong.

nah, they only care about the money. in your example, they either want to see 25 dollars, or $20 and 2 sodas, or any combination thereof.

besides, guys could just grab caps off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom