Why don't more pull hitters bunt against the shift?

Carlos Pena, baseball's home run leader, just laid down a bunt against the shift to lead off an inning. The bunt was terrible and he got thrown out.

Regardless, it was so refreshing to see.

I'll never understand why these power hitters who get the shift put on for them don't swallow their pride and become good bunters.

610x.jpg

Ortiz used to do it once in a while, back when he was still a Major League-caliber player.

cause power hitters are too heavy to run so it would probably be a sure out 100% of the time?

because ur slow +*# could beat them in a foot race so they wouldnt have a chance at making it

Griffey and Dunn could of done this anytime they wanted while they were with the Reds smh.

For all the simpletons, let me break this down very slowly.

There are four infielders (first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman).

Look at the picture. Count how many infielders there are.

Four, all on essentially ONE HALF of the infield. How much of the infield does that leave open?

count_von_count-1-720172.jpg

Of course, not all shifts are that extreme. Sometimes, there will only be three on one side and one on the other.

Bunting is a lost art KLJ.

Let's be real, how many guys per team are able to lay down a good bunt?

Bunting implies you don't believe in your ability, if your ar a big time power hitter you can't afford to think that way.

It's the same reason all WR are narcissists.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Bunting implies you don't believe in your ability
eek.gif

Incredibly ignorant.

Holy cow.

You really are a baseball moron, huh?
laugh.gif

i've always wondered this, but most players who get the shift are power hitters - so if they got a chance to get a HR, let them swing away.

thats the only reasoning i have.

i always wondered the same thing.

i saw giambi do it successfully a few years back like twice while with the yankees.
i'd love to see more of it, because there's no dumber strategy in any sport than the infield shift.

On the same note, why don't they just stop trying to pull everything and learn to go with the pitches...?
laugh.gif

Bunting implies you don't believe in your ability, if your ar a big time power hitter you can't afford to think that way.

WAIT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

For those saying that most players aren't good bunters - that's a moot point. All they need to do is bunt it to the opposite side of the shift and getit past the pitcher. You can be a terrible bunter and still have success if HALF THE INFIELD IS VACANT.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I think he said stealing bases was never a good idea, too...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

On the same note, why don't they just stop trying to pull everything and learn to go with the pitches...?
laugh.gif

Really, it might be the most annoying thing ever. Holy ++$$. Matsui rolls over to 2nd base soooo much...

And guys should work on the bunt, there is no reason not too, and if you do it enough maybe they will change the shift a bit...

Originally Posted by Durden7

eek.gif

Incredibly ignorant.

Holy cow.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I have said this many times if bunting only make sense if you don't believe you are capable of scoring. The numbers don't lie, none of your baseballpoetry about the value taking one for the team and the complexities of the emerald chess board.
indifferent.gif

I don't want my best hitter bunting EVER. You pay Adam Dunn, Justin Morneu, or Mark Texeria for a reason.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I think he said stealing bases was never a good idea, too...
NO, I said unless you steal over 75% you aren't helping your team score runs. Get it right.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

It's tough to bunt
and they simply cant. when thome did an interview awhile back he admitted that he hadn't work on bunting his whole career

Originally Posted by Durden7

eek.gif

Incredibly ignorant.

Holy cow.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I have said this many times if bunting only make sense if you don't believe you are capable of scoring. The numbers don't lie, none of your baseball poetry about the value taking one for the team and the complexities of the emerald chess board.
indifferent.gif

I don't want my best hitter bunting EVER. You pay Adam Dunn, Justin Morneu, or Mark Texeria for a reason.
You pay your hitters to help your team produce runs and win. If bunting helps your team achieve those goals then damnit, you have them bunt.

Youre one of those "baseball stat" guys. Ugh.... sickening.

You really are a moron about baseball though.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

For those saying that most players aren't good bunters - that's a moot point. All they need to do is bunt it to the opposite side of the shift and get it past the pitcher. You can be a terrible bunter and still have success if HALF THE INFIELD IS VACANT.
laugh.gif

You're assuming that guys even know how to bunt to the correct side.

Most players just know how to get contact and not aim to any particular side. First thing you're taught is how to NOT pop it up. And that's as far asit goes for a lot of players.
laugh.gif

honestly if i was a manager and someone on my team couldnt lay one down i would seriously consider benching them unless they were an unbelievable hitter.

I believe in small ball and "producing runs" and a huge part of that is bunting

THEY ARE MAJOR LEAGUERS....YOU LEARN TO BUNT IN 3RD GRADE!!

Back
Top Bottom