Why hasn't lacrosse REALLY blown up?

Horrible argument. Look how much UFC has grown and become popular in such a short span of time.

Even though I had white friends that loved the sport, and an ex-gf who now goes to Maryland on a lacrosse scholarship I never could get into it. And moneywasn't the issue.

Bottomline...it's a niche sport and doesn't have the same mass appeal as soccer, football, bball, or even hockey.

I watched a couple of SF Dragon matches like 2 years ago, but the team ceased operations.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I posted Jim Brown because you said it's only for "white kids who can't cut it at anything else"

There's no sense in discussing it with you when you approach the topic with such a close-minded attitude. You clearly know everything about the sport and about those who play it.
Well you haven't seen the kids that pick up a Lacrosse stick lately, have you? Most are the high school/junior high rejects that cant fill theroster of the football team.

But I could care less about the sport, or discussing it with you, I was answering the question posed by the OP with the best possible answer I could give.Youjust called me ignorant, and in turn, reiterated my point

Originally Posted by bballah3

I posted Jim Brown because you said it's only for "white kids who can't cut it at anything else"

There's no sense in discussing it with you when you approach the topic with such a close-minded attitude. You clearly know everything about the sport and about those who play it.
Well you haven't seen the kids that pick up a Lacrosse stick lately, have you? Most are the high school/junior high rejects that cant fill the roster of the football team.

But I could care less about the sport, or discussing it with you, I was answering the question posed by the OP with the best possible answer I could give.You just called me ignorant, and in turn, reiterated my point
laugh.gif
That's funny, because around here all you have onLacrosse teams are football players, who cant cut it on a track team.

laugh.gif

Maybe its just a west coast thing then. Kids on the football team are usually on spring workouts so they don't play LAX because football is a year roundthing.

Originally Posted by MALI700

its a very expensive sport from what i have seen sticks cost like 100 something bucks, gloves cost at least 75, combine that with cleats and all you need to spend at least 200 without all the extra stuff

But you have kids who will dish out $125 - $150+ for stuff for b-ball, football, etc.....Is it REALLY all that much more expensive compared to other sports?

I just think if there was more exposure, kids might be interested in playing. If you have the footwork/speed from playing football or basketball...all youwould have to do is learn to cradle and shoot....of course there's more to it...but, if you have those basics down I don't see why kids couldn'tbecome successful at it....

playing this game COULD lead to scholarships and other opportunities....

I didn't see it as a boring game to watch. It was fast paced, high scoring, physical, etc....I'm not buying this at all...

There are no athletes that play it. Its for white kids that cant cut it at anything else

that's stupid rationale....

I don't hate on the sport like some of the guys in here.. but to me, it's just a sport that combines a bunch of things from other sports, all of whichI prefer better in the sports they borrow/share from. I don't know who took from who, or if it's just coincidence, it doesn't really matter.. notmy point. I just think that other sports with similar setups are more entertaining.

plenty of the black football players at my school play lacrosse so its more of a classiest sport then it is a racist one, can you afford to play?

I watched that game too
pimp.gif
\
but, i do not have the answer to your question. i might search it up

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Horrible argument. Look how much UFC has grown and become popular in such a short span of time.

Even though I had white friends that loved the sport, and an ex-gf who now goes to Maryland on a lacrosse scholarship I never could get into it. And money wasn't the issue.
because most people of America love violence

but Lacrosse is alright, not worth watching,IMO, if there's a basketball, Football, or baseball game on though

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

nLL is damn entertaing at times.
Man, I remember when the Toronto Rock was dominating, and I mean straigh out running teams, for four years in a row. Five years ago, before theNLL expanded, the game was much more popular.

When talking about the NLL though, one of the reasons why the professional league doesnt get noticed is because of the setup. My IR prof helped collectivebargain for the NLL Players Union, and the main point he got at is that max salary these players get is 5-8 grand a year. All players have other jobs that theywork from monday to friday; literally. They rarely practice (from what this prof told me), and they fly in and out from their homes for games. Hence, with theexpansion, its much harder to have teams have consistant players because these guys always ask for transfers to larger cities (Toronto being the Canadian basefor obvious reasons). For example, San Jose had a hell of a time getting players when the league expanded to them because it wasnt a large market. Of course,being a large market helps regardless of the sport; however, with lacrosse, its completely different. It is the extreme end of the spectrum.

It is a great sport to watch, no doubt about that. Except, nobody south of the border gets extreme air time because it is a Canadian based sport. Its tough tosee, because the NLL could really FLY if they had the $$$ behind them.

pimp.gif
none the less.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

It's not even popular enough amongst white people to blow up,. Focusing on or blaming black people, all of whom of course are poor and live in ghettos bythe way, as part of the problem is asinine.

Well you haven't seen the kids that pick up a Lacrosse stick lately, have you? Most are the high school/junior high rejects that cant fill the roster of the football team.

But I could care less about the sport, or discussing it with you, I was answering the question posed by the OP with the best possible answer I could give.You just called me ignorant, and in turn, reiterated my point
A. Jim Brown is the greatest lacrosse player ever.

B. No offense (i mean that) but you don't seem to know anything about the sport and probably aren't qualified to speak on it on any level.

C. In response to the "have you seen the kids who pick up a lacrosse stick lately" comment, this picture is a couple of years old but:

093.jpg

Because it sucks.

There are no athletes that play it. Its for white kids that cant cut it at anything else.

nahh...some of them dudes who play actually are/were pretty good football players.....maybe you local HS have some lil dudes but the dudes on the college levelare in shape

Sure you can say he is the best player ever when he would just put the stick in his chest and run through everyone. In the modern game its anyone of thePowells. There the best ever or the Gaits.

- It'lll never catch on for a pro level thing. The coverage isn't good enough and the stars aren't well known enough. Like someone said, it is ahard game to just pick up and play, the stick skills take forever to build up and most people in the inner city don't have youth programs so there comingin with no skills and they don't wanna do that.
In central New York and Long Island its up there with football for popularity. A ton of youth stuff and I got into it at like 8 years old.

-Too bad for city stuff isn't being started becuase it is so easy to get a scholarship

-And to say its only for unathletic white people....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Sure you can say he is the best player ever when he would just put the stick in his chest and run through everyone. In the modern game its anyone of the Powells. There the best ever or the Gaits.

- It'lll never catch on for a pro level thing. The coverage isn't good enough and the stars aren't well known enough. Like someone said, it is a hard game to just pick up and play, the stick skills take forever to build up and most people in the inner city don't have youth programs so there coming in with no skills and they don't wanna do that.
In central New York and Long Island its up there with football for popularity. A ton of youth stuff and I got into it at like 8 years old.

-Too bad for city stuff isn't being started becuase it is so easy to get a scholarship

-And to say its only for unathletic white people....
laugh.gif

You need parks and grass to play lacrosse.

laugh.gif

Maybe its just a west coast thing then. Kids on the football team are usually on spring workouts so they don't play LAX because football is a year round thing.

Yea I definitly saw this as being true on the west coast but it definitly does have a strong niche on the east coast. It is a top-tier sport for athletes butit is growing in popularity.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Because it sucks.

There are no athletes that play it. Its for white kids that cant cut it at anything else.
yup those white kids, when they're crap at other sports they play lacrosse......

.....or get their daddys to yell at the coach for them.
eek.gif
roll.gif

Hoory for racist stereotypes!

Seriously though, jump off a building.

Back
Top Bottom