Why is Baylor Mens Basketball Team sponsored by Adidas and Baylors WBasketball Sponsored by Nike?

I believe Nike dropped Baylor basketball after the whole Dennehy scandal.

Originally Posted by dreClark

No, the sponsors can sponsor whatever sport they want to. Nike also sponsors their football team.
I'm pretty sure that's why Michigan eventually switched to Adidas. Wasn't Nike only wanting to sponsor some of the teams, and not others?

That's pretty much what made TAMU switch.

i was actually gonna make this thread today
laugh.gif

me and my dude were sitting in bar and were having this discussion, i really never knew they could sponser by dept.

Originally Posted by tmay407

No, the sponsors can sponsor whatever sport they want to. Nike also sponsors their football team.
I'm pretty sure that's why Michigan eventually switched to Adidas. Wasn't Nike only wanting to sponsor some of the teams, and not others?

Nike picks and chooses. They dont want to be stuck holding up a sorry rowing or field hockey squad

Baylor mens basketball using all the funds to get players...had to settle for Adidas.....

Originally Posted by tmay407

TAMU is still sponsored by Nike for both Men's and Women's Track & Field though...

Nike is probably going to think twice about this or at least change up the language in the contract after seeing what adidas is doing with RGIII

Not every team in a program wear nike or Adidas's i went to iowa or softball team which don't really matter wear adidas and the track team wore it also but all the other teams wore nike but i feel that it is strange that not both teams wear the something

If the entire athletic program cannot decide on one company or a company only wants to sponsors a single athletic program then a AD will leave it up to each coach to find a company to sponsor them.
I know that back in the day when we were with Nike, Nike only outfitted the basketball and football team. All the other programs were with Nike but they only got a limited amount of gear. Anything else they wanted they had to purchase out of pocket on a discounted rate. The reason we switched to adidas was that adidas was willing to outfit all of our athletic teams including the band. 

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Nike is probably going to think twice about this or at least change up the language in the contract after seeing what adidas is doing with RGIII

I doubt it. RG3 wore Nike at Baylor.

Sidenote: Virginia Tech used to be like this up until about 3 or 4 years ago. Adidas in Men's basketball, Nike in women BBall and football.

Originally Posted by AdobeCS4

That's precisely his point, I believe.

Originally Posted by langfor5

If the entire athletic program cannot decide on one company or a company only wants to sponsors a single athletic program then a AD will leave it up to each coach to find a company to sponsor them.
I know that back in the day when we were with Nike, Nike only outfitted the basketball and football team. All the other programs were with Nike but they only got a limited amount of gear. Anything else they wanted they had to purchase out of pocket on a discounted rate. The reason we switched to adidas was that adidas was willing to outfit all of our athletic teams including the band. 
Precisely.

Originally Posted by d e beatup

TAMU is still sponsored by Nike for both Men's and Women's Track & Field though...
See this:

The only reason the T&F teams are still with Nike is because of Pat Henry's relationship with people at Nike. If we had anyone other than Henry coaching, we would have Adidas for T&F as well.

Since RGIII signed with Adidas he's been everywhere wearing Adidas gear that says Baylor Athletics. I'm sure Nike wishes that Adidas only had claim to Baylor men's basketball licensing.

Spoiler [+]
RGIII-Denies-.jpg

Since RGIII signed with Adidas he's been everywhere wearing Adidas gear that says Baylor Athletics. I'm sure Nike wishes that Adidas only had claim to Baylor men's basketball licensing.

Spoiler [+]
RGIII-Denies-.jpg

Nike provides the loophole though. When you don't agree to sponsor the whole AD you don't have the complete rights to the merchandise.
I remember earlier this decade Auburn used to wear Russell jerseys, and Nike cleats. UA comes in and said we will take the whole thing and suddenly the football program along with Maryland is a showcase brand. Its how Nike got its foothold too. 

I personally like it. I think as a coach you should be able to go with the brand of equipment you feel most comfortable with. To me that makes a coach job just that more attractive. ESP basketball and now football. 

Back
Top Bottom