Why is it Okay for non African American Studios to Produce, Write & Profit off of slave films & narratives?

We are all aware of some of the big conversations going on right now regarding antisemitism, there's been enough comments on it. the Jewish community takes huge issue with any form of media that they feel is disrespectful or shows them in a negative light, as this could lead to real life consequences & judgements passed on them.

If everyone understands that & could empathize with that community, why are there no demands & apologies for all the slave narratives, TV shows, Movies that are overwhelmingly produced by European led studios? we've all been around the past few years, we've watched as racist cops have kneeled on, shot, tasered, ran over, beaten etc etc black people to death & it's spread all around social Media. There's clearly dangerous tropes about Black Americans about being uneducated, violent, subhuman etc etc. So could someone explain to me how rehashing all of these old tropes & reliving the trauma of slavery doesn't pose a threat to the black community?

and given that threat why is it that certain communities are allowed to profit off of it without any apologies or explanation to the black community?

1) What power do we have stop them?

2) Most so called black people embrace the slave narrative and victimhood in order to garner love and validation from caucasians, so they support these works and don't ask questions.

Commented a while ago in the movie thread

I can respect when an individual gets uncomfortable watching "black trauma" movies, especially those with slavery. However, I personally feel that the (social media?) trend of black people speaking against such movies is dangerous.

Even in 2021, I think it's safe to say that the general population (myself included) does not read as much as we should. Imo, shutting the door on movies about the painful history Black people have had in America is one step closer to forgetting about it...and that is the last thing that needs to happen.

**Not saying this is right or wrong, just my opinion as a Black man**

Commented a while ago in the movie thread

**Not saying this is right or wrong, just my opinion as a Black man**

A counter point, anybody learning this history from a tainted, white dominated perspective is at best equally dangerous.

Because we are too divided.

I could see that in a sense, but i will say that over the years (especially with the younger generation) it's been a pretty large convo online & in person. While all this talk of antisemitism going on & many of our big celebs being asked to speak on it & gracefully acknowledging the danger of that rhetoric.... i'm also disappointed (not surprised) nobody took the time to speak on the effects in the black community.

A counter point, anybody learning this history from a tainted, white dominated perspective is at best equally dangerous.

Seeking knowledge is a domino effect. One may become aware of an event/name/place etc. from one of these "white" Slave movies, and seek to learn about it on their own. That is if one truly wants to be informed.

We are all aware of some of the big conversations going on right now regarding antisemitism, there's been enough comments on it. the Jewish community takes huge issue with any form of media that they feel is disrespectful or shows them in a negative light, as this could lead to real life consequences & judgements passed on them.

If everyone understands that & could empathize with that community, why are there no demands & apologies for all the slave narratives, TV shows, Movies that are overwhelmingly produced by European led studios? we've all been around the past few years, we've watched as racist cops have kneeled on, shot, tasered, ran over, beaten etc etc black people to death & it's spread all around social Media. There's clearly dangerous tropes about Black Americans about being uneducated, violent, subhuman etc etc. So could someone explain to me how rehashing all of these old tropes & reliving the trauma of slavery doesn't pose a threat to the black community?

and given that threat why is it that certain communities are allowed to profit off of it without any apologies or explanation to the black community?
Cuz tv shows and movies are entertainment and sometimes informative.

Every movie about the Holocaust was not made by a Jewish owned studio or even ran by Jewish producers.

Same for the indigenous ppl of the Americas.

Besides that, I’m not sure what you mean by European studios. Why not just name the black American studios you think should be making those movies?

Also I’m not sure I agree with the notion that these movies would be any less “disrespectful” or have us shown in less of a “negative light” if they were made by black studios.

In fact I could name a few movies and series created and ran by black ppl that many black viewers consider just another couple hours of black trauma so I’m not sure why you think things would be significantly better. Black ppl aren’t a monolith.

Norman Lear stole all his shows from black people…. Sanford and Son, Good times, the Jeffersons…

He knew it was jugg

In for "because of jews".

Its ok white trash people dont think slavery is real anyways.

Last edited:
If they do a good job portraying the atrociousness behind it and emphasizing how inhumane it was, than I'm all for them showing the audience this dark part of history so we can continue to learn from it. Gotta be knowledgeable about the past so history doesn't repeat itself. Steven Spielberg did a great job with Amistad. We watched that in school and it opened alot of students eyes, especially seeing it in motion rather than a picture in the history books.

But I get what you're saying. Not every movie revolving around black people should be about "struggle", but if someone wants to show the world our history or current injustices correctly, than I'm all for spreading knowledge. After all, too many people write off institutional racism as "victimhood", especially those who don't interact with black people. Telling a story through media might be one of the most effective ways to reach places to get the message across far and wide, and I don't give a damn if it is a white person who wants to bat for us, as long as they have the right intentions.

Last edited:
If they do a good job portraying the atrociousness behind it and emphasizing how inhumane it was, than I'm all for them showing the audience this dark part of history so we can continue to learn from it. Gotta be knowledgeable about the past so history doesn't repeat itself. Steven Spielberg did a great job with Amistad. We watched that in school and it opened alot of students eyes, especially seeing it in motion rather than a picture in the history books.

But I get what you're saying. Not every movie revolving around black people should be about "struggle", but if someone wants to show the world our history or current injustices correctly, than I'm all for spreading knowledge. After all, too many people write off institutional racism as "victimhood", especially those who don't interact with black people. Telling a story through media might be one of the most effective ways to reach places to get the message across far and wide, and I don't give a damn if it is a white person who wants to bat for us, as long as they have the right intentions.

Yea as long as the brutality of slavery is portrayed accurately, who cares who made it.

2) Most so called black people embrace the slave narrative and victimhood in order to garner love and validation from caucasians, so they support these works and don't ask questions.

“So called black people”?

I see what time you on.

Goofy ***.

kanye-west-kanye.gif

Thank that good white brother for preserving our history, how would we ever do it without them :lol:

1) What power do we have stop them?

What do you mean by #2?

Most though?

What do you mean by #2?

Most though?
Bruh, I saw my post quoted and I don’t even remember what the topic was :lol:

But reading my post, maybe I should’ve said many instead of most. But my position that our people seek out validation from yt people? I stand on that. We should have a ruling class mentality to have our own, not look for THEM to include us in their stuff.

forgot all about this thread :smh:

Dudes were really caping for white people writing narratives on our history :lol:

Back
Top Bottom