why is it such a sin to say anyone will be better than Michael Jordan?

listening to sports talk the past few days upon jordan's birthday... and the talks of lebron and jordan one on one are baffling to me...

people right lebron off with no reasoning....

and to criticize jordan is like talking about someone's religion...

for the record... i'm 23 and didnt really watch jordan play in his prime... i also believe that lebron will be the best nba player of all time...

*flamesuit*

but why is it everyone says "well nobody is better than jordan".. even people younger than me who NEVER seen jordan play...

i'm not going to do a debate between jordan and lebron... but i JUST heard that mike was 1 and 9 in the playoffs before scotty showed up...

When you "attack" or something about the greats people grew up watching obviously your going to hit a nerve.

It's basically the old heads talking about the good ole days and the new guys saying well we don't see the old days but the new dudes are killing it.

KD is next.

Jordan comparable to Lebron isn't fair, he's more comparable to Magic.

Jordan to Kobe is comparable, Jordan was always the guy, Kobe wasn't for the first 3 chips.

Kind of what MMG said. I was watching Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN the other day and they were saying how comparing players today to Jordan is like comparing bands today to The Beatles. One came before and revolutionized what they did so they will always have that advantage over future greats, even if they are comparable. That's why most people dont like it when people say Kobe/Lebron will be or are better than Jordan.

Personally, I dont think either of them possess the skill set that Jordan had on both ends of the floor. If anything, I think a prime Kobe is "as good" a pure scorer as Jordan was, but not overall player. Lebron is a better play maker and rebounder but nothing else.

As for Legacy, no one in this generation of players is seeing MJ. 6 finals mvps, 5 regular season mvps, 10 time leading scorer, dpoy, etc. Jordan went above and beyond.

Last edited:
Did you ever think that people who watched both of them simply think lebron isn't as good, despite being physically better?

Worst finals for a superstar ever? 7 finals games before he got over 25 points? Too scared for a dunk contest? Joined up with a finals MVP? 2 other franchise players. Plus the best shooter ever

Those talking heads weren't 6 years old when they saw MJ

Last edited:
listening to sports talk the past few days upon jordan's birthday... and the talks of lebron and jordan one on one are baffling to me...

for the record... i'm 23 and didnt really watch jordan play in his prime... i also believe that lebron will be the best nba player of all time...

*flamesuit*

but why is it everyone says "well nobody is better than jordan".. even people younger than me who NEVER seen jordan play...

i'm not going to do a debate between jordan and lebron... but i JUST heard that mike was 1 and 9 in the playoffs before scotty showed up...

At least go watch the old videos of MJ before making that judgement. Could Lebron surpass MJ sure its possible but I say the chances are very very very very slim. He has a loooooooong way to go

There were constant debates that Kobe would surpass MJ but you see that most of those conversations have gone by the wayside now they chose to compare Lebron to MJ and Kobe definitely isnt getting better

Last edited:
Did you ever think that people who watched both of them simply think lebron isn't as good, despite being physically better?

Worst finals for a superstar ever? 7 finals games before he got over 25 points? Too scared for a dunk contest? Joined up with a finals MVP? 2 other franchise players. Plus the best shooter ever

Can't say it any better

The Dunk Contest :rolleyes

Its silly to compare legacies to begin with

Can Lebron finish his career first?

Because the accomplishments fall so far short

Take away all the explanations and excuses and reasonings and opinions and disclaimers and predictions, and the resumes of whoever is being stacked against Jordan just doesn't add up. Period.

QFT.

Sure I'm biased, and I do think ultimately LeBron may be the GOAT, but bottom line is he played horribly in his first two Finals series. Jordan was more dominant in the playoffs than the regular season and his 6 NBA Finals MVPs are a testament to his ability to step up in clutch situations. LeBron was clutch yes, but more often that not he was perceived to be a choker because of his inconsistency. You never saw that in Jordan - he stepped up when he needed to and dominated in the Finals. I give credit to the Spurs for their great defense (knowing that they could just key in on Lebron and ignore everyone else), but why did he fail against the Mavs (who played great D too) with Wade and Bosh as scoring options?

Last edited:
Kind of what MMG said. I was watching Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN the other day and they were saying how comparing players today to Jordan is like comparing bands today to The Beatles. One came before and revolutionized what they did so they will always have that advantage over future greats, even if they are comparable. That's why most people dont like it when people say Kobe/Lebron will be or are better than Jordan.

Personally, I dont think either of them possess the skill set that Jordan had on both ends of the floor. If anything, I think a prime Kobe is "as good" a pure scorer as Jordan was, but not overall player. Lebron is a better play maker and rebounder but nothing else.

As for Legacy, no one in this generation of players is seeing MJ. 6 finals mvps, 5 regular season mvps, 10 time leading scorer, dpoy, etc. Jordan went above and beyond.
you think bron can't get 6 rings, 5 mvps, and a defensive poy ...

And yeah, he played horribly the 2nd finals.

I just wonder why people act like its impossible.

If lebron has 6 championships 6 mvps, 2 defensive POYs and 3. Gold medals, he wouldn't be considered the best?

So many people already said so many valid points already.

Resumes just don't add up, consistency of being clutch, post season dominance, being the for your team, never losing in the NBA Finals and being so dominate on both ends of the floor.

MJ wins in every category listed above. Like someone else said, Lebron is just a better rebounder and passer than MJ. He needs to be compared to Magic. Not MJ.

Now as opposed to the whole Kobe vs. Lebron debate...

I think Kobe is the more comparable scorer to MJ. Lebron is early in his career, but most of what he does is all based off of pure athleticism. The bulk of Lebron's scoring is done under the basket. I think once Lebron develops a perimeter game with consistent scoring that way, he'll start to really win championships.

Lebron definitely has more potential to be better than MJ, more so than what Kobe had. But that is because of his natural physical gifts. He's bigger and stronger than anyone else in the league and scores at an incredible rate. But I just don't see the same intensity in Lebron as you see in Kobe's eyes. That fire and killer instinct just isn't there yet for Lebron.

here we go!!!!! lol if this doesnt get locked this might rival the kobe overrated thread.

Even though nobody will ever be better than MJ due to the heart and hunger, I think dude is ginuinely jealous or possibly irked by Lebron James and people saying he just might be better than MJ..

No way in hell if Im MJ I take Kobe Over lebron lol

*flamesuit*

see i respect that you reveal your age.

too many people front like they seen mj play

i remember when a couple guys would say kobe is the best ever. this board went insane. but for real guys like lebron, kobe, KD, for the younger generation these are their Jordan, Magic, and Bird

would you rather they lie and say jordan is the goat? or be real and say these current players are the best ever?

A lot of bullying on the board... You cannot expect the young basketball fan to say Michael Jordan...

here we go!!!!! lol if this doesnt get locked this might rival the kobe overrated thread.

Even though nobody will ever be better than MJ due to the heart and hunger, I think dude is ginuinely jealous or possibly irked by Lebron James and people saying he just might be better than MJ..

No way in hell if Im MJ I take Kobe Over lebron lol

Up until now with both of their collective bodies of work? You have to take Kobe.

And if you go by the past 10 years, it's still Kobe :lol:

If there's one common denominator between Kobe and MJ, it's that both of those guys are straight up killers. They don't play that whole "being your friend" **** with other players and has the smiles and giggles after a loss.

Lebron isn't a killer and won't go into a game and rip your heart out like MJ and Kobe set out to do.

I'd take Kobe in his prime over Lebron any day. Kobe's game in his prime is so fine-tuned and "complete". Closets to Jordan we'll ever see, really.

BTW, I'm old enough to watch BOTH MJ and Kobe in their primes. I've seen them do their damage and work in the league. Lebron isn't even CLOSE to these two guys. I think people are getting caught up in the moment with lebron for now.

Let me be clear though--I'm NOT saying what Lebron is doing now worth any recognition, because honestly I've never seen anything like this before. But to say he's better than MJ or will be is nuts :rofl:

Like I said earlier though, he has the potential to be better. More so than Kobe ever had.

Last edited:
Basically because Jordan led his team to 6 championships and no one else being compared has done that.... When winning is the ,ost important thing it just seems silly to say LeBron is better.

Steve Nash doesnt play for the Heat

Back
Top Bottom