Why is MSG considered the Mecca of basketball?

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by melomanfan, Sep 26, 2013.

1. melomanfan

melomanfan

I always hear people make this claim but have never knew why. I know New York as a city embraces the basketball culture and that there's courts all over the city, but that doesn't explain why Madison Square Garden is considered the Mecca of basketball. The franchise only has 2 championships, the last one being 40 years ago. The Knicks have been relevant for a brief stint in the 90's and are now rising back to relevance after more than a decade. So why does MSG get the title of being the Mecca of basketball instead of the TD Garden/Boston Garden, Staples Center/The Forum, United Centre, etc?

By the way, I'm not trying to bash the Knicks, I've just always been curious about this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. jdi23

jdi23

NY is like NT, everything started there so u must respect it.

Not srs.

imreallydirknowitzki likes this.
  3. 8pm at msg

8pm at msg

It extends beyond the Knicks, ranging from high school to the pros. Quite a few big games took place there on various levels. H.S. championships, The NIT back when it was the premier tournament and the Knicks. Now does that justify the name? Maybe, maybe not but that's what its known for.

4. harlemtothebronx

harlemtothebronx

I already know where this discussion is going.:lol:

5. melomanfan

melomanfan

I know where your coming from but I don't think playing high school basketball championships or an annual tournament should be the reason an arena is considered the Mecca of basketball, but that's just me. I think the phrase "Mecca of basketball" should go out to an arena where basketball was revolutionized like it was during the showtime era in LA or when winning was extremely prevalent like it was at the Boston Garden.

6. xbiker47

xbiker47

The Garden :pimp:

7. gllahone84

gllahone84 Banned

[​IMG]

8. jumpmanfromdabay

jumpmanfromdabay Banned

Because Basketball was invented there...........oh wait it wasn't

:lol:

9. JD617

JD617

#NeverForget

10. al3xis

al3xis

I am not from New York and to me there is no building like it that I've been to. It's just a different feeling in there and on the street. Being smack dab in Midtown helps it's appeal, for sure.

Regardless of recent history NYC is pretty rich in hoops history. And the building since it's opening has hosted more great players and teams than any other building that is still in place - considering Chicago Stadium and the Boston Garden no longer exist and the Forum doesn't house any basketball.

11. niketalker23

niketalker23

NYers would claim Jesus lived and died NY if they could.

imreallydirknowitzki and CJ616 like this.
  12. melomanfan

melomanfan

That post by OKB :wow: :rofl: Son went in

I would say this is only because the arena has been open for so long. The thing you should think about is regardless of the great players that played there, only 2 championships have been won in 60 years.

13. frshstunna

frshstunna

lol i think this how most ppl not from NYC feel

14. jus3

jus3

Gallo's tilted head :lol:

15. AZwildcats

AZwildcats

Holy **** :wow: dude left no stone unturned :rofl:

Staples Center >> MSG

16. T0INE

T0INE formerly toine2983

I remember that OKB's rant; comedy. [​IMG]

17. nychiphophippo

nychiphophippo

all you country folk love to hate on nyc

and by country i mean everywhere in America outside of NY/LA

edit: by the way, this threads happened before. but i think it was about why NYC in general was considered the Mecca of basketball.

18. cedric ceballos

cedric ceballos

MSG is a great arena. Been to about 30 knicks games or so over the past 20 years. Its the last old school NBA arena left imo. It was Boston garden, the forum, MSG and Chicago stadium and MSG is the last of a dying breed. A great stadium but when you consider the Knicks lack of success I just can't call it a Mecca.

The old Yankee stadium, regardless of how to feel about the Yankees was a Mecca. So much history took place there, so many legends played there, so many championships won there, monument park all that. That stadium was baseballs cathedral.

MSG, a great stadium, great knowledgable crowd even when the Knicks suck, has a good share of history in it but I just can't call it the Mecca of basketball.

19. rell826

rell826 Banned

Staples Center could never, ever compare to MSG. The fans suck and their general support for basketball as a whole sucks as well. The Pac 12 tournament moved to Vegas for a reason. Even when the Big East Tournament wasn't at its best, it was easily the best postseason conference tournament at times being better than the NCAA Tourney. Name a conference tournament that had anything as memorable as UConn's run or the Six OT game in the last decade. MSG made those moments larger than the game.

Ask every NBA player where they love to play and what it means to them when they step on that court.

Sebastian Telfair overhyped? Please. He was the best PG by far when high school basketball actually meant something and was good. Just because he didn't pan out in the NBA doesn't mean he was overhyped. He earned that adidas contract and that lottery pick.

This is going to turn into a NY vs the world thread like in Music and General [​IMG]