Why is Niketalk Partnering with ISS?

Read his post history, check his join date.  What's the conclusion you get from all that?  
laugh.gif

How much $ is NT making from these ads?

Little, to none. The site only allows ads on here because the site costs money to run. The ads are barely paying for that. As I have come to understand, there have been instances where Meth has had to pay out of his own pocket for the site to keep going.

NT is quite selective when it comes to ads, and if something is to compromise how the ads look, then it's terminated. Example- a thread that would lead to related ads.

Do I never get these pop ups because I have a Mac?

You may just have Adblock turned on?

Dont know if its been discussed but is it possible to bring back the community chest and keep the ads going ??? 

Im sure theres a bunch of others that would like to donate money to the site if its going to help out.

Do you own this site? If not you don't know what they are getting paid for these ads

post the figures

What's your purpose? You are talking a lot about something you don't know anything about.

Exactly.

I've been here for a lot of talking about NT's financial state. The anti-pop up ad threads, the T shirt thread, etc.

All explained the importance of the ads, and what I had already said above.

Dont know if its been discussed but is it possible to bring back the community chest and keep the ads going ??? 

Im sure theres a bunch of others that would like to donate money to the site if its going to help out.

I feel like Meth would much rather have the donations go elsewhere.

I say Congrats. I havent read it all but if Steve L from UTA is involved and Meth made it worked Im all for it.

Steve L is a good dude and Meth's only ever put NT in a place to succeed since he and others created this after Nike Park.. or whatever that old site was called. Having been here since 2000 I appreciate all thats happened and the evolution. 

I dont have anything personal against Steve M.  but ND knows if he ever is in the same area as me hands will be put on him.  Not a good person at all. 

Congrats again Meth...

correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't ISS always been a shoe store alone and their forums switched to *************? So the current ************* forum was formerly ISS (forum)? So it should be NT>SC? Idk ahaha

Subliminals at eastbay? 
nthat.gif
No.  We're not  going that route and I don't want anyone else going down that route, either.

Obviously we have a sponsor list and anyone with a functional memory can see that some businesses listed as sponsors this summer are no longer represented.  There's no sense denying the obvious or pretending it didn't happen.  Some of those "missing" businesses were very large.  In terms of their budget, and the amount of money NikeTalk users have made for these companies, what we were requesting is pretty insignificant.  So, I think you should look at it this way:  the businesses currently on this list think that you're worth it.  They want to support the community and think that interacting with you is worth their time and money.  

If someone thinks differently, that's their right.  Maybe they would prefer to handle their CS on Twitter or Facebook.  Maybe they think that by using our forums to post release info they were doing you a favor and should be able to do so for free.  That's fine.  Reasonable people can disagree and there's no reason why ANY former sponsor can't rejoin the fold down the line.  There's no point in burning bridges there.  

I'd rather focus on the positive, and it IS worth acknowledging that a sponsorship represents a proportionally larger investment for a small, independent company.  

For them to think that highly about our community is a positive, and that support helps us stay online and donate to charity.  

That's all that needs to be said.
It'll be interesting to see if the people whining about the ads will be willing to pay for an ad-free site. I'm guessing most won't and the ads are just something to ***** about. I hope I'm wrong.
I use an AdBlocker and I love NT, been here since 2001 but honestly I would never pay to use this forum.

10 years ago NT used to provide information/content that other websites didn't, but now theres many places to go for the same info. I stay here for the General section anyways and really I could go to another forum with basically the same exact stuff if I wanted to but I choose to stay here because its familiar to me and NT is what I'm used to. Anyways, I wish NT nothing but the best as always.
NT's not going "subscription only."  We intend to keep the site free, as always, but you have to understand that the PRICE of the free site is still advertising, just like any other content-based website.  

We CAN'T offer the site for free if users don't support the ads.  That's just common sense.  

For users who have some problem with the ads, we'll provide a subscription-based alternative. 

Theft is not an option.  

Movies cost money to make.  If you want to watch a movie, you can pay to see it in the theater/on demand or you can watch it for free on TV, but the network will run ads.  Choose whichever option you want, a or b, but you don't have the right to make up option c: download off of a torrent and steal the whole thing.  That's not cool.  (And yes, I'm aware that you can fast forward commercials on a DVR - but those ads are paid whether they're viewed or not.  Ours aren't.  If the ad doesn't load, we don't get paid.  If the PAGE is loaded, that represents an expense.)

Again, I don't think we're asking for a hell of a lot here.  It costs a LOT of money to maintain NikeTalk.  In the old days, we all chipped in by paying for hosting ourselves.  Now, the only thing you have to do is let some ads load on each page.  

Why hurt a site you like?  

To everyone who DOES support NikeTalk:  thank you!  We couldn't do it without you.  We owe the mobile site to you.  We owe our stable hosting to you.  We owe our modern feature set to you.  We owe our $250,000+ in donations to you.  We owe those schools and libraries to you.  All that's possible because you guys have chosen to support the community rather than leech off of it.  
I don't know if this is an oversight or not, but there are still links to eastbay:

I don't know if this is an oversight or not, but there are still links to eastbay:
That's separate.  In the future, we want to have price/inventory comparisons for multiple merchants to make it easier to find items of interest (imaging clicking on a sneaker model and seeing a list of all sites where the item is currently available, along with all the classified listings for the item in our buy/sell area), but for now only the Eastbay feed is in the system.

You can get a better idea of how the system works on other Huddler sites like head-fi.org, styleforum.net, and overlock.net.

Exactly.

And ISS now has nothing to do with Sole Collector... and Sole Collector's owned by Complex.  The "ISS forums" have been the "sole collector forums" for years now.  It's a completely separate entity.

Why should we be so petty as to prohibit a LEGITIMATE sneaker seller from sponsoring the site simply because the name is the same as a site that was once run in an objectionable way?  Where's the logic in that?

Also on the SC side.

The current owner of ISS is a NIKETALK member.  He grew up on our forums and was excited to give back and demonstrate the social responsibility so sorely lacking in the OLD incarnation of ISS.  

How?  Because the person he SOLD the site to managed to secure a NON-EXCLUSIVE sponsorship with NikeTalk?  That's silly.   The original "cool offer" would've been hosting ONLY (no donations) in exchange for becoming ISS' mascot.  It would've been ISS presents: NikeTalk.  Fast forward to 2013, ISS is run by a completely different person - who was a NikeTalk member - and Steve's working for Complex.  

Meanwhile, NikeTalk remains independent and has raised over a quarter of a million dollars for charity and has built or refurbished schools and libraries in four different countries.  

I'm pretty satisfied with that outcome.  

The community chest couldn't support NikeTalk when we were 1/4 of our current size and on a MUCH cheaper platform.  We're all proud of what we accomplished together in raising money for disaster relief efforts in Japan and Somalia.  That took a concerted effort from MANY of our forum regulars, and you guys were incredibly generous and inspiring.  It would take
more
than that EVERY SINGLE MONTH to even attempt to run the site without ads.  

With the ads, the donation drives go ENTIRELY to charity and the amount we receive from sponsors can help us raise even more money.  I'm very much looking forward to sponsoring the construction of another school this year, and it's thanks to sponsorships like this one that we'll be able to accomplish that.  Previously, we've only been able to support big projects like that on a bi-annual basis.  Now, we can do it every year.  That's worth it. 
View media item 473269

View media item 473269[/quote

Instyleshoes.com is an independent site that is on basically every single legit list there is. We also show our track record via our eBay store "ivehademall" (since 2001) which is a top rated plus account with 99.6% positive feedbacks. In addition, we are here, on niketalk, with the backing of Meth & and several other NT'ers, we are highly visible and have no room for any "missteps", especially here in this forum. We only run a 100% legit business, and have for 12 plus years now , feel free to see our resume which is posted in our "legit check" section on instyleshoes.com.

This post is actually helpful, as it brings up one of the main reasons why we are here on NT as a sponsor, we believe this forum is one of the best "checks & balances" that you can have. If we ever do something "wrong", it will get posted here & bring instyleshoes right back to where it was before our team began running it in 2010. We are fully aware of that & have made a promise to be a positive example of how an independent site like ours can be run.

Thank you to all of those who have welcomed us & are giving us a chance here on NT. For those who assume we are just another resell site, please give us some time to prove otherwise.

Best
Tom
Instyleshoes Team Lead

I can also vouch 100% for instyleshoes.

People may know my name from the blogs/forums more than "Ivehademall" who runs instyleshoes.com but I have been working with him for years and assisting him/iss with product purchased by myself personally.

Instyleshoes.com does not have one fake/variant/counterfeit/early release shoe in the entire inventory....

You can ask nike.com about any website thats basically not supplied by them and they will give you the same response.

Back
Top Bottom