Why is Philly So Overlooked when it comes to Rap ?

soooo much talent in philly..yet only chris gets the most shine due his previous roc affilations..but truth be told there are better rappers 

Originally Posted by haiti5

soooo much talent in philly..yet only chris gets the most shine due his previous roc affilations..but truth be told there are better rappers 

Dude philly has prolly THE most memorable line in hip hop...

...............IIIINNNN West Philadelphia born and raised....

Philly / Bmore has some nice underground / everyday joe, spitters
sick.gif
, seriously!!!!

one of the nicest regions ive ever heard

The talent is there...but the real problem with Philly rappers is they can't make a song. Lyrically, I think we are up towards the top as a region but lyrical abilities only get you so far in the game unfortunately. We'll win all the Fight Clubs and Grind Time battles but at the end of the day, that's about as far as we go. No real mainstream appeal, thus overlooked as a region.

Another thing, we lack range. Our content lacks depth and diversity sometimes. Like the emotion is there but if you're talking about the same things as every other rapper who's sold drugs or lived in the hood are talking about then it's hard to stand out.

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

The talent is there...but the real problem with Philly rappers is they can't make a song. Lyrically, I think we are up towards the top as a region but lyrical abilities only get you so far in the game unfortunately. We'll win all the Fight Clubs and Grind Time battles but at the end of the day, that's about as far as we go. No real mainstream appeal, thus overlooked as a region.

Another thing, we lack range. Our content lacks depth and diversity sometimes. Like the emotion is there but if you're talking about the same things as every other rapper who's sold drugs or lived in the hood are talking about then it's hard to stand out.
Yep.

Plus, everything that comes out is EXTRA gritty and the whole gangsta rap movement kinda died (for the better IMO)...

With time I see how stupid just utterly violent lyrics are...for the sake of just being utterly violent...its different when people are actually talking about stuff the average person deals with.

There's only 4 good rappers from philly though.

Ab-Liva, Beans, Chris, Free.

It's cuz they don't have that one successful commercial/mainstream rapper. Will Smith stopped rappin a decade ago man.

Seriously I don't see why certain areas with an abundance of talent play the crabs in the barrel game. Work together, choose one dude to get on, make sure he's official and certified in his position and then have him bring along every other rapper on some fam @%%%. It's worked on a smaller scale with plenty of crews just expand that group.

Back
Top Bottom