Why the shoe game is dying…?

Growing up, I used to buy multiples and sell the extras to be able to afford my pair.
Received these text messages today from a friend:
"What Jordans are coming out on Thursday? My sister wants to "invest" like you do sometimes."

I let them know that there's a little bit more to flipping jays than buying them and tossing on eBay. IMO, you have to at least know the game a bit and it definitely helps to be respected on boards like NT. Also, things like double boxing is a MUST and there's things people like to know/hear when bidding on an eBay auction. Nowadays, the fees are so ridiculous on eBay and PayPal that it would minimize profits anyway.

I explained this and basically guaranteed them they would make nothing to which I receive:

"I got mad respek man. Pretty sure [name]'s bf has sold a ton of +*%$ on eBay and she was gonna do it with him. And I saw what you did. You just took some photos and them b****es sold like beanie babies!"

indifferent.gif

I couldn't do much but shake my head. I think it's reasons like this, in addition to other factors such as the economy and frequent releases, that we're seeing things like the Powder IXs and AJKOs on sale racks. It's pushing people that respected the game out of it. The originals of these sneakers are among the most rare and sought after Jordans and you'd think that people would like to get their hands on the retros since the originals are unattainable for most.

Thoughts?

Growing up, I used to buy multiples and sell the extras to be able to afford my pair.
Received these text messages today from a friend:
"What Jordans are coming out on Thursday? My sister wants to "invest" like you do sometimes."

I let them know that there's a little bit more to flipping jays than buying them and tossing on eBay. IMO, you have to at least know the game a bit and it definitely helps to be respected on boards like NT. Also, things like double boxing is a MUST and there's things people like to know/hear when bidding on an eBay auction. Nowadays, the fees are so ridiculous on eBay and PayPal that it would minimize profits anyway.

I explained this and basically guaranteed them they would make nothing to which I receive:

"I got mad respek man. Pretty sure [name]'s bf has sold a ton of +*%$ on eBay and she was gonna do it with him. And I saw what you did. You just took some photos and them b****es sold like beanie babies!"

indifferent.gif

I couldn't do much but shake my head. I think it's reasons like this, in addition to other factors such as the economy and frequent releases, that we're seeing things like the Powder IXs and AJKOs on sale racks. It's pushing people that respected the game out of it. The originals of these sneakers are among the most rare and sought after Jordans and you'd think that people would like to get their hands on the retros since the originals are unattainable for most.

Thoughts?

I made a similar thread to this last week, talking about the abundance of sought after shoes being Retroed. Check it out.

I made a similar thread to this last week, talking about the abundance of sought after shoes being Retroed. Check it out.

To me, its just simple economics:
1)A market is created and begins to generate profit
2)A signal is sent to potential investors, who begin to pour capital into that market (your friend's sister)
3)The increase in investors equals less profit to be made by each individual investor
4)Decrease in potential profit sends a message (opportunity cost) to investors to leave the market

It seems that we're hitting the later part of stage 3 in this market right now.

To me, its just simple economics:
1)A market is created and begins to generate profit
2)A signal is sent to potential investors, who begin to pour capital into that market (your friend's sister)
3)The increase in investors equals less profit to be made by each individual investor
4)Decrease in potential profit sends a message (opportunity cost) to investors to leave the market

It seems that we're hitting the later part of stage 3 in this market right now.

the shoe game is dead because jordan brand is killing it. its simply a morality question and JB has no morals, giving us what we want with crappy quality and charging a crap ton more than what they should and being the monopoly that we have indulged ourselves in we cant get them anywhere else so we have to buy and cry but it will never not be dead until the day that we get good quality for a decent price and that my friend will never happen so enjoy a dead game with crap quality and JB makin millions. greedy JB shame on you.

the shoe game is dead because jordan brand is killing it. its simply a morality question and JB has no morals, giving us what we want with crappy quality and charging a crap ton more than what they should and being the monopoly that we have indulged ourselves in we cant get them anywhere else so we have to buy and cry but it will never not be dead until the day that we get good quality for a decent price and that my friend will never happen so enjoy a dead game with crap quality and JB makin millions. greedy JB shame on you.

The OG heads are growing out of the scene and unfortunately we have the newest generation that doesn't have the background on a lot of what's going down right now...they do what they are told which is to buy the newest anything out. They are the accelerated version of what a lot of us were going through in 1999-2005 hype wise. Jordan brand had on thing right....they determined if people are willing to buy fakes with lesser quality....if they made a lot more production of their more coveted models in these "alternated" colorways they would make more money....thus where we are today

The OG heads are growing out of the scene and unfortunately we have the newest generation that doesn't have the background on a lot of what's going down right now...they do what they are told which is to buy the newest anything out. They are the accelerated version of what a lot of us were going through in 1999-2005 hype wise. Jordan brand had on thing right....they determined if people are willing to buy fakes with lesser quality....if they made a lot more production of their more coveted models in these "alternated" colorways they would make more money....thus where we are today

Originally Posted by LaceLocka

QFT.

QFT.

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

QFT.

Yeah I'm kinda drunk.....and off topic. LOL 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

QFT.

Yeah I'm kinda drunk.....and off topic. LOL 
eek.gif

I have to quote you, because you're speaking the truth !

I can also make a bold statement saying that neither Nike/Jordan Brand OR sneakerheads know where this is going.  This is such a HUGE evolution that we only see certain segment of it at a time.  What triggered the "accelerated version" and hype of shoes was the internet, mainly Niketalk, blogs and ebay.  This was like a movement where OG collectors made a huge contribution. 

If you read old Slam magazines and KICKS, when selling shoes on ebay was just starting (and yes there are articles on this).  It was a trend when honest people discovered 1985 Jordan's and listed them on ebay without discovering their true value.  People caught on and starting listing OG XI from 1995 so on and so forth.  Nike saw this and capitalized in people who were still interested in their older models, to say hey we can re-issue old shoes, hence retros became hot.  So instead of each new owner making a small profit from the SAME circulating pair of OG's, Nike decided to saturate the market with their own stuff.  This became so boring to the point that it forced real collectors to 'leave' because "the brand isn't the same anymore"

There's no substance behind the brand anymore, everything is built on hype and these "unveiling" launches.  Sneakerheads grew smarter, we know the lifecycle of shoes from production to outlet; when to shop, at which sites; where to get discounts and share outlet information. 

Like you already know some lucky few will find the Cool Grey XI at Nike outlets.  B-grades or whatever, for $90+ as long as you have them, you don't really care.  (See what happened with CDP XI and SJ XI)

Mind you, retros are only a copy of the original thing, but people are willing to wait in line and camp out in the cold; and select accounts are willing to hold midnight releases- what does this tell Nike?

Nike doesn't even know what is 'hot' anymore, they can't even design the next Jordan properly, but one thing's for sure retros that resemble the 3's (cement/elephant print), 11's (patent leather), 13's (silhouette) will sell.  So aside from re-re-re-releasing these shoes again, they fuse it up with something else.  Because they don't know where this is going...

Back
Top Bottom