Will I Find a Job?

How long have you been searching?

Posted by Rightguard in the DMV forum:

Graduation Day. Will
They Find Jobs?

Updated: Sunday, 10 May 2009, 8:24 PM EDT
Published : Saturday, 09 May 2009, 8:19 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) - It's that time of the year again. Students all over the country are walking across the stage to pick up their diploma.

They might have a degree, but what about a job? On Saturday morning, at American University in Washington, DC students seemed concerned, but optimistic about finding employment.

Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, was the guest speaker at the ceremony. He said he understands the concerns students have these days, but advised them to look long term.

The economy lost another 539,000 jobs in April, bumping the unemployment rate up to 8.9 percent, the highest in 26 years, according to the Labor Department report released Friday.

That figure already exceeds assumptions made by Obama's economic advisers when they pushed for a $787 billion stimulus package -- a measure that they said would be critical in reviving the slumping economy.

I've been looking for a year, for a good job at least. Same for others I know. Dont expect anything straight out the gate. Only until recently I startedgetting interviews and such.

Originally Posted by I Heart Brooklyn

work at UPS, if you are patient. and if you have a degree, you can be promoted alot quicker
ups aint hiring
indifferent.gif

but if you on your %!%+, you should be able to find a job rather quickly. i found a 14/hr job in two weeks and two 11/hr jobs 3 days later. if you on yourgrind it shouldnt be that hard

Originally Posted by eye see soles

^What are some things you did?

I've been hitting up monster and careerbuilder.
get yourself out there. make a resume, dress up and go sell yourself to the manager.

i had an interview and they say they dont accept people who have been terminated but i sold myself and got the job (the 14/hr)

i have alot of customer service experience and my city/surrounding is full of call centers. plus with alot of places they are looking to get rid of somebody.so sell yourself to the manager that you are a hard worker and you know what you are doing.

whenever i go to a spot i peep all the other employees and see who's slacking. than i hit the manager with (after i sold myself) "see the averageemployee gives you 85% like that one over there (points to the employee slacking) i give 120% each and every day"
pimp.gif

im stupid charming and i can sell salt to a slug (word to cassidy) so the females and sometimes males (nh) eat it up. plus just keep showing your face up totheir business, DO NOT CALL, and you will have a job in no time.

this is my experience, your results may vary

Spent a year looking for a internship/job for the summer to no avail. But thankfully Moms hooked me up with an job that pas 17/hour
pimp.gif

So basically in most cases its not what you know, but who you know.

i dont understand how individuals can go months hell even a year without a legit job. the longest ive been without a legit job is 3weeks. i guess its just theresponsibilities i have and the fact my parents never given me money and the lifestyle i live i have to keep money in my pockets at all times whether its alegal or illegal way. so i have to stay on my grind.

Originally Posted by doosta45

i dont understand how individuals can go months hell even a year without a legit job. the longest ive been without a legit job is 3weeks. i guess its just the responsibilities i have and the fact my parents never given me money and the lifestyle i live i have to keep money in my pockets at all times whether its a legal or illegal way. so i have to stay on my grind.
what do you mean by legit job? Its easy to find a job working at McDonald's, but for some one who is graduating/near graduation what can jobsthat have nothing to do with your field do for you?

not too many people will hire someone that will jump ship when they get a better offer

it is tough for a grad to find work

Well I don't have a job offer yet and I graduate on Saturday, but I got an interview with my last resort, and I am pretty sure I'll get that job.
I also have been accepted into grad school so if all else fails I'll at least be doing that.

Originally Posted by JustScoreda100

i dont understand how individuals can go months hell even a year without a legit job. the longest ive been without a legit job is 3weeks. i guess its just the
responsibilities i have and the fact my parents never given me money and the lifestyle i live i have to keep money in my pockets at all times whether its a
legal or illegal way. so i have to stay on my grind.
what do you mean by legit job? Its easy to find a job working at McDonald's, but for some one who is graduating/near graduation what can jobs that have nothing to do with your field do for you?
you werent networking while you were in school or working/interning at a job part time that has to do with your field/major while in school? iknow some dont work while in school to focus. but you cant expect jobs to fall in your lap coming straight out of college, unless you know somebody.

im majoring in kinesiology, i work part time/weekends/whenever they need me at a physical therapy that i went to when i got injuried my junior year of highschool. granted all im doing is getting ice, massaging legs, and setting machines up. but i got something set for me when i get out of school. im cool with allthe therapist in there, and the head therapist.

legit jobs means, to me, that you'll get a w2 come january.

Anyone try craigslist?

The site just seems fraudulent to me.
Nahh just dont mess with the "Informercial" like listings.

I got a handful of interviews from Craigslist, I wouldn't depend on that site alone though. I found better jobs from people I know/network.

Anyone try craigslist?

craigslist is cool. i had interviews from craigslist, but due to school i couldnt take the jobs.

i got played though, got hit with some MLM scams though

there are no jobs.
well, at least it seems that way. first thing is to forget about finding anything on monster, craigslist or career builder. i mean you can do those just to dothem but don't expect a damn thing on either of the three.

second, realize that everyone from 18-55 are competing for the same jobs. you have elderly ppl working in call centers alongside their younger counterparts.the economy is messed up right now. i strongly believe that bush set our generation back.

third, realize that wages are garbage right now as well.

Anyone try craigslist?

craigslist is cool. i had interviews from craigslist, but due to school i couldnt take the jobs.

i got played though, got hit with some MLM scams though.
Same here, I'm just going to remain persistent till I find a job that is suitable to me as an under-grad student.

Originally Posted by debs 168

there are no jobs.
well, at least it seems that way. first thing is to forget about finding anything on monster, craigslist or career builder. i mean you can do those just to do them but don't expect a damn thing on either of the three.

second, realize that everyone from 18-55 are competing for the same jobs. you have elderly ppl working in call centers alongside their younger counterparts. the economy is messed up right now. i strongly believe that bush set our generation back.

QFT except the part of the no jobs part. plenty of jobs are hiring, they stay hiring.

Originally Posted by debs 168

there are no jobs.
well, at least it seems that way. first thing is to forget about finding anything on monster, craigslist or career builder. i mean you can do those just to do them but don't expect a damn thing on either of the three.

second, realize that everyone from 18-55 are competing for the same jobs. you have elderly ppl working in call centers alongside their younger counterparts. the economy is messed up right now. i strongly believe that bush set our generation back.

QFT except the part of the no jobs part. plenty of jobs are hiring, they stay hiring.

Yea. I know Fry's is hiring around my way.

Not all MLM's are scams, I make some good income off the internet myself. Am I a millionaire? No. Do I make money that beats working 9-5? Yes Can I Do ItOn My Own Time? Yes Do I have residual income? Yes

It all depends where your shopping at, dot get discouraged so easily. Check out the ways I do it on my sig

Back
Top Bottom