Will Smith in Independance Day 2? And 3?

http://iesb.net/index.php...e-features&Itemid=73
independence_day_large_032.jpg

20th Century Fox is still bathing in money from James Cameron's Avatar. At this point, we're talking dog toilet-paper bucks they've earned so much. So obviously a sequel is happening, right? Sure, but the waiting time for said follow-up looks to be a minimum of four years. Fox does have their fair share of comic-book properties getting the "Reboot" treatment and other sci-fi films such as the Predator and Alien franchises. But still the studio needs an honest-to-Christ event picture – something huge, something like.....wait for it......Independence Day.
They've made no qualms about wanting an ID4 sequel. Fox co-chairman Tom Rothman told as much to IESB a few years back. The problem is various nails in the road have stopped that from happening. For one, producers/writers Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich cooked up a story but at the time decided they weren't ready to return to that world just yet.

More recent, Emmerich told Latino Review Fox just wasn't willing to cut their teeth over the list price for one Will Smith. Being the only movie-star in the world (an actor who guarantees #$$!% in seats), Smith gets $20 million up front plus first dollar gross. That alone has stopped the studio cold from moving forward. Until now it seems.

IESB has received a tip that Will Smith is now locked for not only Independence Day 2, but also a third installment. The plan would be to shoot both films back-to-back. Whether the studio opts to go the Matrix route and release the two films six months apart or do like the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels and split them by a year remains to be seen. According to our sources, if all goes according to plan, the sequel(s) could shoot as early as 2011.

This would be Emmerich's next directorial endeavor after his William Shakespeare thriller Anonymous. This would also come after Will Smith's next (which will be either The City That Sailed or Men in Black 3). So this wouldn't interfere with those projects.

The original ID-4 brought in a total of $817,400,891in worldwide box office receipts and you can easily add another $200 million plus in DVD sales and TV rights.That's right, ID4 is a bona fide billion dollar franchise.

Keep in mind, folks, we're still awaiting confirmation from Fox and other sources - who as of now have not yet been able to confirm or deny our story. Even though this comes via a reliable source, we're going to put this in the "Rumor" catalog for the time being.

So it appears fourteen years after the fact (Yes, it has been that long!), we might finally be getting Independence Day sequels..

The IESB will keep you informed on any updates.
P.S. Memo to MTV....%$$@ off for what you are going to post after reading this

So...like...what?

Little Nicky is all grown up and gonna save the world from the aliens now?

laugh.gif

I remember being blown away by Independence Day, so much so I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about how I'd survive an alien invasion.
No successful plans ever came to mind.

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

I remember being blown away by Independence Day, so much so I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about how I'd survive an alien invasion.
No successful plans ever came to mind.

laugh.gif
, but 
eek.gif
 @ Will's price. 
pimp.gif

We need another big event movie. Since TDK every release has felt so lackluster...

I looked up "first dollar gross" but I still don't understand it... Can someone explain it better than this:

"FIRST DOLLAR GROSS - The participant receives a percentage of gross from the first
dollar received by the studio. Anyone with the power to make this kind of deal usually
receives significant compensation up front, which is considered an advance against later
participation. Therefore, this deal is really the same as gross after an artificial break,
where the artificial break-point is equal to the advance divided by the participation
percentage. For example, a $5 million advance against 10% of agr is the same as 10% of
agr starting at $50 million of agr; $5.0 million 1.1 = $50 million. Arnold
Schwarzenegger, for example, receives first dollar gross (and a hefty advance). "

That #!#* is confusing.

Originally Posted by stoneyjax

laugh.gif
 wow Nicky a grown +$# man
foreal... i was twice as old as dude when this movie dropped and now he looks 10yrs my senior 
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Emmerich should have gotten Will Smith to be in 2012, and should have written a better script for it.

I think he's OD'ing on these disaster movies.

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Little Nicky now...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 I prolly took a class with this dude and ain't even know it was buckwheat. I'm always saying "I got a dollah, I got a doller" too.
roll.gif

Was excited until I saw that Roland Emmerich would be directing this one as well
grin.gif
. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the original ID4 but the dude has had a losing record lately and I hope this will be better than 2012
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom