Wilt's 100 vs. Kobe's 81. Discuss

Originally Posted by DTruth07

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Both amazing, I'd take 100 but both are good

Another great one is Jordan in 86 in the playoffs against an all time great team while surrounded with average players. That 63 was not an easy 63

MJ's 63 is way more impressive to me than Kobe's 81. 
laugh.gif
Man, I watch these regular season games and half the time these guys aren't even playing hard.  Playoffs>meaningless regular season game.

Guys there was some myths we need to dispel

1. There was offensive 3 seconds when Wilt scored 100 and the lane was 12 ft the same as the NCAA's is now.

2. They had both offensive and defensive goaltending rules when Wilt accomplished  the 100 point feat

3. Players could dunk but in that era, it was just considered showboating, so they didnt do it or practice it.

4. In his era, he played against other guys with comparable heights( 6'9 and above). There was 14 of them in a 9 team leauge. Not to mention Hall of Fame big men like Bill Russell, Walt Bellamy, Bob Pettit, Dolph Schayes and Tom Heinsohn. Anyways y'all act like height is everything! Were Yao Ming, Mark Eaton and Manute Bol scoring 30 PPG?  
laugh.gif
 And I guess Charles Barkley wasnt doing work as a power forward at 6'5?
Also dont act like yall havent seen those clips of Wilt dunking over Bill Russell and Old Laker Wilt dunking over a young Kareem Abdul Jabbar. 2 All time greats.

Also who the heck was guarding Kobe when scored 81 points? Morris Peterson ,Mike James, Jalen Rose. Those guys are of relative ilk to the guys guarding Wilt

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by S4L3

Height measures your physical attribute, not your skill level. I'm just saying, if I had Wilt's height and length in that era, 100 would be much easier than Kobe's 81.
You really have no clue how impressive that game was from Wilt.

Scoring 100 was tough enough, grabbing 25 boards to go along with it, is another. No matter how tall you are or whoever your playing against. Ya'll lucky they didn't keep track of blocks back then too...

I'd just like to say that there was no goal-tending back then. All of his rebounds and points were pretty much goal tends.

yea i didnt want to even mention that... imagine no goal tending, no lane violations, no 3 in the key calls, etc lol. The most impressive game to me was  92 dream team versus college all stars. They beat them 101 to 2. The dudes didnt even get the ball past half court until the end of the game.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

1. There was offensive 3 seconds when Wilt scored 100 and the lane was 12 ft the same as the NCAA's is now.

2. They had both offensive and defensive goaltending rules when Wilt accomplished  the 100 point feat

3. Players could dunk but in that era, it was just considered showboating, so they didnt do it or practice it.

4. In his era, he played against other guys with comparable heights( 6'9 and above). There was 14 of them in a 9 team leauge. Not to mention Hall of Fame big men like Bill Russell, Walt Bellamy, Bob Pettit, Dolph Schayes and Tom Heinsohn. Anyways y'all act like height is everything! Were Yao Ming, Mark Eaton and Manute Bol scoring 30 PPG?  
laugh.gif
Also dont act like yall havent seen those clips of Wilt dunking over Bill Russell and Old Laker Wilt dunking over a young Kareem Abdul Jabbar. 2 All time greats.

Also who the heck was guarding Kobe when scored 81 points? Morris Peterson ,Mike James, Jalen Rose. Those guys are of relative ilk to the guys guarding Wilt

um you do realize what a large advantage wilt had physically over the 2 guys guarding him one johnny green at 6'5. and willie naulls at 6'6. plus they gave up 65lbs that is a huge advantage. granted the raptors werent a great team but that is a huge advantage. And height isnt everything but it is a huge factor. I mean it be like orlando vs new orleans and they place jarrett jack on howard the entire game. i mean dude would, barring the ability to make free throws would kill him. Howard would be out there looking like akeem a something.

As far as barkley is concern his size wasnt that much of a difference plus he was more athletic and skilled then alot of the pf's. In wilt case he had a huge size advantage, was more skilled, was more athletic.

In history there hasnt been that disparring of an advantage that wilt had vs his opponents. We lack bigmen now but its not like howard is facing dudes like carlos delfino on a regular basis. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

laugh.gif

um you do realize what a large advantage wilt had physically over the 2 guys guarding him one johnny green at 6'5. and willie naulls at 6'6. plus they gave up 65lbs that is a huge advantage. granted the raptors werent a great team but that is a huge advantage. And height isnt everything but it is a huge factor. I mean it be like orlando vs new orleans and they place jarrett jack on howard the entire game. i mean dude would, barring the ability to make free throws would kill him. Howard would be out there looking like akeem a something.

As far as barkley is concern his size wasnt that much of a difference plus he was more athletic and skilled then alot of the pf's. In wilt case he had a huge size advantage, was more skilled, was more athletic.

In history there hasnt been that disparring of an advantage that wilt had vs his opponents. We lack bigmen now but its not like howard is facing dudes like carlos delfino on a regular basis. 

Those guys werent guarding him when he scored 100, they said it was Darrall Imhoff (6'10) Cleveland Buckner( a 6'9 Black guy for all you racial people) and Dave Budd( 6'6, which is too small) . Also how can hold Wilts athelticism and skill against him? He had the same training methods and oppurtunites as everybody else in his era, its not like he time traveled to get to play in 1960s. There were other 7 footers in his era, did they come close to putting up Wilts numbers?

You guys act like he wasnt regularly doubled or triple teamed and with no 3 point shot to serve as a detterent why wouldnt teams just double Wilt and leave the 20 ft pereimeter shot open after all its still only worth 2 points and its a lower percentage shot.

And again guys there was 3 seconds, offensive and defensive goaltending back then.

The only valid argument against Wilts 100 is pace of the game by then.

Both were very impressive in their own right. You can find reasons for both that might make it seem more impressive than the other, but nothing definitive. Just appreciate it and move on.

yall outta yall damb minds...

kobe could go back in time and score 81...

wilt would not HAVE A CHANCE at scoring 100... or 81... or 60 in todays game...

lettuce be cereal here...

Originally Posted by ricky409

in todays state of centers lol iuno about 100 but hed have a damn field day against the likes of a kaman, mcgee

wow watching this documentary on nba tv about wilts 100 point game. did i hear right? he was the only dude who could dunk at that time?
laugh.gif

you guys see the footage of dudes playing at that time?? the wnba play tougher defense
laugh.gif
omg no damns were given on defense back then lol

100 points take a lot of stamina but kobe's 81 was definately tougher. you can agree to disagree but please dont say wilts 100 was better just because you hate kobe bryant...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

101 (in a half) > 100

Simple math, right?
But Lisa Leslie has nothing to do with this current discussion and yes Lisa Leslies 101 >>>>>>
If scoring 100 in a game (or 101 in a half) was so "easy" then someone else should have surely accomplished these tasks once again. Don't knock the era they occurred in and just appreciate the performances for what they were.

This @**% has gone on long enough, as the saying goes enough is enough and too much stinks.  Since when has 81 of anything ever been better than 100 of the same thing.............it hasn't before and now's not the time to begin that trend now.  $100>$81, 100 kilos>81 kilos, 100 pairs of concords>81 pairs of concords, getting 100% on a test>getting 81% on a test, 100 clear face masks>81 clear face masks, so on and so forth. 

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Here is how stupid the statement of MJ's 63 point game against the Celtics in the playoffs is better than Kobe's 81 point game.

-First off MJ needed overtime in that game just to get 63 points.
-Second the Bulls lost that game and were bounced out of the 1st round that year.

*Looks at avy, laughs and leaves thread*

Oh. so Raptors defense in a regular season game > Boston Celtic Defense in the playoffs... OH. ALRIGHT.

Originally Posted by Mr Cashfl0w

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

101 (in a half) > 100

Simple math, right?
But Lisa Leslie has nothing to do with this current discussion and yes Lisa Leslies 101 >>>>>>
If scoring 100 in a game (or 101 in a half) was so "easy" then someone else should have surely accomplished these tasks once again. Don't knock the era they occurred in and just appreciate the performances for what they were.
lolwut? i think ska was being sarcastic with that statement (i think 
nerd.gif
)
and the fact that it was the Raptors shouldn't make a difference, once dude hit 60-70 you would think you would try to stop him to preserve your integrity
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ricky409

This.

and dudes still don't understand.
30t6p3b.gif

sick.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
@ Bringing Lisa to this discussion.

I'm going to go back to the the simple fact that NO ONE SAW WILT'S GAME!!! He could've been hitting the Dream Shake and shooting fallaway jumpers for all we know.

What we do know is dude scored 100 points in a game with NBA level competition.

I mean what's next...Kobe's 5 championships > Bill Russell's 11 championships. I hate when dudes discredit the past when it's convenient. Scott Skiles broke the single game assist record in 1990. According to y'all logic, shouldn't Bob Cousy have gotten 50 assists because of the "inferior competition"?

100 > 81. No matter the era.

^ So you would also agree that 101 (in a half) > 100, right?

All other factors are meaningless, and the ONLY thing that matters... is the raw numbers, right?

The level of competition, the era, the setting... all meaningless. Throw everything out the window EXCEPT for the actual numbers, right?

If it's that easy:
105 (Cheryl Miller)
101 in a half (Lisa Leslie)

Both trump Wilt's accomplishment.

And Dajuan Wagner's 100 is right there w/ Wilt, since 100 = 100.

Right?

Wrong. Other factors definitely matter.

As far as the NBA goes 100>81. Simple math.

We talking about the NBA. Not basketball as a whole. Make another thread for that topic please. Thanks.

See? If you're going to factor in that 'this league is different than that league', then you also have to factor in that 'this level of competition is different than that level of competition', and 'this era is different than that era', and a bunch of other '_____ is different than _____' factors.

No, it's not just about simple math.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

This @**% has gone on long enough, as the saying goes enough is enough and too much stinks.  Since when has 81 of anything ever been better than 100 of the same thing.............it hasn't before and now's not the time to begin that trend now.  $100>$81, 100 kilos>81 kilos, 100 pairs of concords>81 pairs of concords, getting 100% on a test>getting 81% on a test, 100 clear face masks>81 clear face masks, so on and so forth. 
Are we talkin OG Concords or retros?

Because of the different varibles (NBA eras in particular), this is one of those "chicken-or-the-egg" questions that could be argued forever and neither side would be 100% right or wrong.
All I know is, as a Raptors fan, watching the entire game from start to finish I wanted to puke my guts out. I swear, once the Raps went up big in the 3rd Q, our tv guy Chuck Swirsky basically called the ball game in Toronto's favour...which was when Kobe completely went off.
Now a great, GREAT feat regardless of whose side you're watching this from, but how many times did you see a double team on him?!?!? Terrible, terrible coaching (unless I missed something. I try to avoid watching anything related to that game whenever I can).

Back
Top Bottom