Wilt's 100 vs. Kobe's 81. Discuss

Originally Posted by RetroSan

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/35060192
In what world has 81 ever been better than 100? Maybe when you're talking about temperature, but not much after that. 

But here's a time that 81 was greater than 100: Kobe Bryant's epic scoring night matched against Wilt Chamberlain's all-time point barrage. 

Never would I imply that what Chamberlain did 50 years ago wasn't impressive. Scoring 100 points in a game isn't just impressive. It's drinking-a-gallon-of-milk impressive. It's something that's darn near impossible to do and takes a special, near superhuman individual to pull it off. 

Still, Kobe's 81 was better. 

Why? You could almost make a strong case that Chamberlain's hundred should include an asterisk. First, and this is unfair to Chamberlain, but none of us saw it happen. We don't know what it looked like, what it felt like, how that game went. There's no footage of it at all, only a little audio of him scoring the hundredth point. 

Actually, it might be a good thing we never saw it. Because from accounts of how it went down, the Warriors spent almost the entire fourth quarter fouling to get the ball back and force-feeding Chamberlain the ball. New York coach Eddie Donovan said, "The game was a farce. They would foul us and we would foul them." Chamberlain's shot attempts by quarter: 14, 12, 16, 21. You think in a blowout in today's game that a team would keeping feeding their star like that? 

Plus, the pace of the game in 1962 was far faster than was Kobe was playing with in 2006. Chamberlain had more possessions in the up-and-down game. There were 316 combined points in that game. It would take today'sLakers almost a month to score that many. (I kid, I kid.)

Then you have to consider that Chamberlain's points came easier. He was a post player that could be fed the ball and overwhelm his opponents. Kobe is a perimeter player that had to handle it and score by creating his own either off the dribble or with a jumper. Chamberlain overpowered smaller teams and smaller players. At times, it was like a college guy playing against middle school kids. Truly a man among boys. Chamberlain could just have his way. 

It's no coincidence that when you browse the top point totals in a game, Wilt's name litters the list. It was a long time coming that he'd finally top the century mark. He scored at will because there was only one other player in the game -- Bill Russell -- that could really stop him. The guy that played most of the night against him -- Darrall Imhoff -- stood no chance. Not to discredit the talent pool in the 60s, but Chamberlain wasn't exactly facing elite big men every night. 

Nobody will ever match what Chamberlain did though. Like DiMaggio's hit streak or Favre's consecutive games streak, it's one of those unbreakable records. The reason mainly is because nobody would have the gall to do what the Warriors did to get him there. Playing out the game in a blowout, blatantly running up the score, fouling to get the ball back -- can you imagine what would happen if someone did that today? 

Say LeBron was going off and had 75 points after three quarters. The Heat are up 30. Erik Spoelstra leaves LeBron out there to pound the opponent, all while Dwyane Wade and Shane Battier take fouls so LeBron gets more shots. There would be week long panels devoted to ripping the team that did it. I think the Hall of Fame might have to make room for a new exhibit honoring the most explosive media backlash in professional sport history. 

Kobe's 81 had everything going for it. It was a close game and Bryant just completely took over. The Lakers were down 71-53 and Kobe brought them back. He wasn't ever intentionally fouled, and he team didn't do much of anything other than give him the ball and get out of the wya. He played until the end, checking out with just a few seconds remaining. And despite playing a darn near perfect game with all the factors lining up, Kobe was still 19 points short. Consider this: After Kobe, the next highest total is 78 by Chamberlain, then 73 by David Thompson and Chamberlain. Even the greatest ever, Michael Jordan, topped out at 69. There's just no chance of anyone ever sniffing 100 points in a game again.

Still, Kobe's 81 was better. 

The Mamba took 17 fewer shots, 12 fewer free throws, didn't have his team fouling to get him the ball, had fewer possessions and still only came up 19 short of Wilt. He scored 55 points after halftime. That's only 14 short of Jordan's career-high. Forget what math and maybe common sense tells you. Eight-one is greater than 100. 

Kobe's 81 points required the most skill 
and for the 3 point argument, shooting the ball 25 feet away and going 7-13 isn't exactly easy
rock gif clap

For all the Kobe fanatics in here, I say don't stop at discrediting Wilt's accomplishment of 100 points, I say go all the way.  Don't settle for silver, go for the gold.  Meaning let's just say that any and everything in the NBA that didn't occur during this era, or during the "Kobe era" as you lobbyists would like to say should be forgotten about or not held in high regard because as you dudes have said players are bigger and better in this day and age than before.  For example Bill Russell's 11 championships mean nothing or pale in comparison to Kobe's 5 championships that he has because the NBA wasn't as tough back then as it is now.  As Kobe fanatics would say "Magic Johnson thanks for bringing those 5 championships and Showtime to LA, thanks but no thanks because you didn't do it during the Kobe era as the athleticism is better now than what it back in the 80's".  Another great example, even though Kareem currently leads the NBA in most points scored with 38,387 his scoring accomplishment means next to nothing or nothing at all because during Kareems's era the players weren't as fast or as strong as they are now.  So Kobe's current total point count of 28,958>38,387........just crown Kobe as the all-time scoring champ now because his era is better than Kareem's or even the next NBA player in line after Kareem which is Karl Malone.

Anything that happened in the past simply isn't going to cut it or be good enough for some of the Kobe lovers in here because they feel like Kobe's era is the end all be all of competitive play in the NBA.  This applies across the board to other sports as well if we let some of these Kobe loyalists have their way.  Meaning Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth home run records and accomplishments mean nothing because they didn't do it in the Albert Pujols era.  Do you hear that dmxfury, the Chuck Noll and Steel Curtain era means nothing or pales in comparison to the Bill Belichick era because football players and skill levels got bigger and better throughtout time and our better now than then.

I'm not worried though, you dudes can have your fun for now.  Those who are cheering up and down about Kobe's 81 points while trying to downplay Wilt's 100 points, with the key phrase in that sentence being "trying to downplay" you dudes are going to see in a few years when somebody does the same thing to your guy Kobe.  Even though right now there is a thread in S&T that asks the question of John Wall being a bust, if John Wall manages to score 70 points in a game a few years down the road a John Wall fan would then have the "right" to say that John Wall's 70 points>Kobe's 81 points.  Reason being is because each era gets better or improves from the past era, in size, weight, speed and in other areas according to you dudes.     

Originally Posted by Deuce King

For all the Kobe fanatics in here, I say don't stop at discrediting Wilt's accomplishment of 100 points, I say go all the way.  Don't settle for silver, go for the gold.  Meaning let's just say that any and everything in the NBA that didn't occur during this era, or during the "Kobe era" as you lobbyists would like to say should be forgotten about or not held in high regard because as you dudes have said players are bigger and better in this day and age than before.  For example Bill Russell's 11 championships mean nothing or pale in comparison to Kobe's 5 championships that he has because the NBA wasn't as tough back then as it is now.  As Kobe fanatics would say "Magic Johnson thanks for bringing those 5 championships and Showtime to LA, thanks but no thanks because you didn't do it during the Kobe era as the athleticism is better now than what it back in the 80's".  Another great example, even though Kareem currently leads the NBA in most points scored with 38,387 his scoring accomplishment means next to nothing or nothing at all because during Kareems's era the players weren't as fast or as strong as they are now.  So Kobe's current total point count of 28,958>38,387........just crown Kobe as the all-time scoring champ now because his era is better than Kareem's or even the next NBA player in line after Kareem which is Karl Malone.

Anything that happened in the past simply isn't going to cut it or be good enough for some of the Kobe lovers in here because they feel like Kobe's era is the end all be all of competitive play in the NBA.  This applies across the board to other sports as well if we let some of these Kobe loyalists have their way.  Meaning Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth home run records and accomplishments mean nothing because they didn't do it in the Albert Pujols era.  Do you hear that dmxfury, the Chuck Noll and Steel Curtain era means nothing or pales in comparison to the Bill Belichick era because football players and skill levels got bigger and better throughtout time and our better now than then.

I'm not worried though, you dudes can have your fun for now.  Those who are cheering up and down about Kobe's 81 points while trying to downplay Wilt's 100 points, with the key phrase in that sentence being "trying to downplay" you dudes are going to see in a few years when somebody does the same thing to your guy Kobe.  Even though right now there is a thread in S&T that asks the question of John Wall being a bust, if John Wall manages to score 70 points in a game a few years down the road a John Wall fan would then have the "right" to say that John Wall's 70 points>Kobe's 81 points.  Reason being is because each era gets better or improves from the past era, in size, weight, speed and in other areas according to you dudes.     
2yllfzo.gif

pimp.gif

So if someone 'prefers' Wilt's accomplishment they are a 'Kobe hater'? Huh?
Yup. And if you look son has contribute nothing to this thread. Just has the saying "kobe haters" on repeat. Thats pathetic.
30t6p3b.gif

And hes also keeping tabs on what other men post on the internet? are you kidding me son?
How do you know people posted in the "kobe hater thread'? thread was made like 2 years ago.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

you guys are dumb

kobe>*

half of us would be more than willing to ____ just to be in his presence.
Notsureifserious
but
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Like I said before, it goes both ways.

If all you see is the large population of pro-Kobe loyalists and you can't see the large population of anti-Kobe loyalists, I suggest you open your eyes.

And the problem may not be that your eyes are closed; it may be that you're in the latter population.
wink.gif

i can say that Jordan's Era > Kobe's Era because Jordan single handedly revolutionized the sport. No questions asked.
Kobe scoring 81 points the way he did is more impressive then Wilts when his teammates were fouling to stop the clock, running up the score on a team that was missing their starting center, force feeding him the ball and just clogging the paint.
Kobe had Mihm, Parker, Brown, and Walton as starters and they losing (to the Raptors
laugh.gif
) so that *$+@@ genuinely had to let it fly. Sure they just gave him the ball but why wouldn't when the dude was on fire. No from just 2-5 feet but from all around. and he only made 18 free throws (went 18-20). 

Kareem 38,000 is better because if you put Kareem in any era he would the exact same thing with the virtually unblockable sky hook

The centers from the 80s-90s are better than todays generation because even though ideally big men now are suppose to be better, they're skill set isn't as impressive as Ewing (severely underrated), Olajuwon or Kareem.

Hank Aaron in any era would do the same thing he's done in his own and what he done in his era is better than Ruth yet Aaron is still better than Pujols

i ain't eem going to touch Belichick cause of spygate but you can't think a Mel Blount/**** LeBeau could cover a Jerry Rice or a Randy Moss like a Deion Sanders/Ronnie Lott did/could.  

i'm tired of typing so i'll just say that its all subjective but you can't make it seem all one dimension in terms the supposedly more "advanced" era. You have to calculate when its done, the level of competition, etc. Its to many factors to include to just make it Generation vs. Generation and in this particular case, it works for Kobe this time.

81>100

Nobody will ever score 100 again, no doubt.

But if you offered me free tickets to see

a. Kobe drop 81 as a 2 guard

b. Wilt drop 100 as a center

I would have to go with A since it's more of a PHYSICAL feat to create your own shot for 81 points as opposed to being fed the ball down low for 100 when you're the tallest player on the floor.

And from the article posted above, Wilt's team was PURPOSELY fouling to get the ball back to stop the clock and get more possessions. REALLY? What kind of nonsense is that? You guys would be LIVID with hate and point that out the first chance you get if it were kobe's team trying to get him more possessions by fouling. I would be mad as a fan if I saw my team do something like that... you would be too.

Overall I think kobe's 81 took more basketball skill, was necessary to win the game (it wasn't some gimmick by his team to feed him the ball, kobe actually had to score 81 in a close game to win the game), and just an overall more impressive accomplishment. Again, I'm not saying that 100 points isn't an impressive accomplishment in itself, I just don't think it was as big an accomplishment as 81.

Can we STOP talking about eras and career points and all that crap for one god damn second and focus on the games itself? NO ONE is " trying to downplay " (at least i dont) Wilt's 100. HELL... if i see a 5 min highlights of it on youtube.. i'll be like 100>>>>>>>>81. Unfortunately that's not the case now is it? 
laugh.gif

OK .. I'm just gonna say Wilt's 100 is better than Kobe's 81. The fact that 100 is better or greater than 81. Fine.. i don't have a problem with it. Wilt's was a freaking monster too..

Let's move on. happy?

Let me ask you this though, Can you tell me some of the best moments from Wilt's 100? ... because i can certainly tell you some from Kobe's 81 because all of us here watched the game or even the highlights of it.. 

I'll wait..

Tell me what's better .. Intentionally fouling and force- feeding the ball to Wilt to get to 100 ..this is based from the reports or even from the article posted above and don't get me wrong if you have size advantage, use it. 

or when a perimeter player caught on fire all game even after trailing almost 20 points at one point and to get them the W at the end.

I mean i give the credit where it's due .. i almost threw up after seeing Stuckey almost broke Kobe's ankle last night with that NASTY cross 
sick.gif
laugh.gif
.. To be honest i'm more impressed to Kobe's 62 compared to 81 just the fact that a regular superstar would need 2-3 games to reach 62 and he did it in 3 quarters. I mean whatever man, that's just me.

Also, I'm a Lakers fan.. not a Kobe fan. He's just plays for my team.

Why are people acting like he wouldn't normally be sitting when the Lakers are up 17 with 3:30 left?

Originally Posted by Goldmember

Can we STOP talking about eras and career points and all that crap for one god damn second and focus on the games itself? NO ONE is " trying to downplay " (at least i dont) Wilt's 100. HELL... if i see a 5 min highlights of it on youtube.. i'll be like 100>>>>>>>>81. Unfortunately that's not the case now is it? 
laugh.gif

OK .. I'm just gonna say Wilt's 100 is better than Kobe's 81. The fact that 100 is better or greater than 81. Fine.. i don't have a problem with it. Wilt's was a freaking monster too..

Let's move on. happy?

Let me ask you this though, Can you tell me some of the best moments from Wilt's 100? ... because i can certainly tell you some from Kobe's 81 because all of us here watched the game or even the highlights of it.. 

I'll wait..

Tell me what's better .. Intentionally fouling and force- feeding the ball to Wilt to get to 100 ..this is based from the reports or even from the article posted above and don't get me wrong if you have size advantage, use it. 

or when a perimeter player caught on fire all game even after trailing almost 20 points at one point and to get them the W at the end.

I mean i give the credit where it's due .. i almost threw up after seeing Stuckey almost broke Kobe's ankle last night with that NASTY cross 
sick.gif
laugh.gif
.. To be honest i'm more impressed to Kobe's 62 compared to 81 just the fact that a regular superstar would need 2-3 games to reach 62 and he did it in 3 quarters. I mean whatever man, that's just me.

This is why Wilt's 100 isn't as impressive to me as kobe's 81. If the lakers intentionally fouled the other team to force feed kobe the ball, the NT kobe haters would be LIVID. They would NEVER ever let kobe live that down and it would be the first point when discrediting him... but it happened to Wilt, so it's okay. hmmm I see.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ So you would also agree that 101 (in a half) > 100, right?

All other factors are meaningless, and the ONLY thing that matters... is the raw numbers, right?

The level of competition, the era, the setting... all meaningless. Throw everything out the window EXCEPT for the actual numbers, right?

If it's that easy:
105 (Cheryl Miller)
101 in a half (Lisa Leslie)

Both trump Wilt's accomplishment.

And Dajuan Wagner's 100 is right there w/ Wilt, since 100 = 100.

Right?

Wrong. Other factors definitely matter.
Where'd I say nothing else mattered.  I clearly wrote "against NBA level competition".

Originally Posted by Liquor Poker

laugh.gif

Let's move on. happy?

I'll wait..

sick.gif
laugh.gif

This is why Wilt's 100 isn't as impressive to me as kobe's 81. If the lakers intentionally fouled the other team to force feed kobe the ball, the NT kobe haters would be LIVID. They would NEVER ever let kobe live that down and it would be the first point when discrediting him... but it happened to Wilt, so it's okay. hmmm I see.
his feat is a tall tale like him sleeping with 25k women

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by Liquor Poker

laugh.gif

Let's move on. happy?

I'll wait..

sick.gif
laugh.gif

his feat is a tall tale like him sleeping with 25k women

100% agree.

Everyone in here trying to downplay 81 have no idea what happened during this game... Kobe shot a better percentage than Wilt, and didn't have to resort to despicable actions by intentionally fouling the other team to save clock.
laugh.gif

I like how all the haters refuse to touch this issue.
grin.gif

Mel Blount couldn't guard Rice or Moss

Oh my, let's take this to the NFL forum!

Back
Top Bottom