Windows 7 opinions?

idk if i should install the beta or not. i'm happy with Vista atm.
i'll probably just wait or install it on my other PC that's running XP

^ that's exactly what I'm doing.

I'm leaving my Vista one alone for now but testing RC out on my old XP laptop which should run W7 fine.

BTW RC will expire June 1st 2010. But starting March 1st 2010 it will shutoff the computer automatically every 2 hours. And you can't just upgrade to fullversion when you buy it, you have to install a whole new clean copy, meaning you lose everything you have installed. There's an alleged workaround butit's not recommended/approved by Microsoft. For me it's not a big deal to reboot everything when you finally get the full version, it's months fromnow anyway.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

http://www.microsoft.com/...s/...s-7/default.aspx

When more programs and whatnot become more compatible with it, I'll def get it. Until then....XP FTW
Pretty much anything that is Vista/XP compatible right now, is compatible with 7.
eek.gif
Oh word? I need to invest in a copy then.
It's free man. You can download the release candidate now and use it for a year.

OH..damn I'm slow.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

how do i go about downloading the RC??? also, if i do it and install it (i have a laptop with vista right now), will i lose everything that's on mycomputer?

http://www.microsoft.com/...s/...s-7/default.aspx

When more programs and whatnot become more compatible with it, I'll def get it. Until then....XP FTW
Pretty much anything that is Vista/XP compatible right now, is compatible with 7.
You think? Because one of my concerns would be protecting it and being able to install an AV product on it. What product are you using(antivirus)? I'm going to install this on my entertainment PC.

i just wanna make sure i wouldn't lose all my music in itunes and stuff...i guess i'll just wait until i can put it on my friends external hard drive.

also, i asked this question in another thread, but it never got answered. i have a dell studio laptop that i bought mid-late last year from best buy. ididn't get a warranty or anything, but the other day i dropped it. it ran absoltely perfectly up until that point. now it'll freeze up from time totime and i'll have to wait up to a minute for something to respond like switching windows or closing programs. it doesn't happen everytime, but onlyonce in a while. also, if i try to shut down, it'll say it's shutting down for the longest time. i left it on for over an hour once and it still saidit was shutting down. i always end up just manually holding the power button down and turning it off that way. does anyone know what could be wrong with it andhow to fix it? i would really hate to have to pay to get it fixed, but i think that might be the only option. would a system restore somehow magically fix ithaha? i know it's not likely, but i'm hopeful...

do i need to burn it on a disc to install it or would running it in virtual drive be okay?

Originally Posted by SheryarYO

how do i go about downloading the RC??? also, if i do it and install it (i have a laptop with vista right now), will i lose everything that's on my computer?

REposting..
You can dual boot dude (2 different OS's on the same system / hard drive).

Something like this should do. I have a secondary drive where I just play around with new OS's randomly but the instructions below should be for 1 harddrive partitioned.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

do i need to burn it on a disc to install it or would running it in virtual drive be okay?
I wanted to install this but read you have to install on a disc
frown.gif
I have no clue how to do that
laugh.gif

It's not out yet. The release candidate just came out today the 5th. Not the retail version. I had the Beta as a second OS, liked it, now I'm downloading the RC and going to use it as my primary OS since its free until May 2010.
But the RC stops working after March. I don't want to be OS'less for 2 months.
laugh.gif
I'm gonna test it out on another PC.

i just wanna make sure i wouldn't lose all my music in itunes and stuff...i guess i'll just wait until i can put it on my friends external hard drive.

also, i asked this question in another thread, but it never got answered. i have a dell studio laptop that i bought mid-late last year from best buy. i didn't get a warranty or anything, but the other day i dropped it. it ran absoltely perfectly up until that point. now it'll freeze up from time to time and i'll have to wait up to a minute for something to respond like switching windows or closing programs. it doesn't happen everytime, but only once in a while. also, if i try to shut down, it'll say it's shutting down for the longest time. i left it on for over an hour once and it still said it was shutting down. i always end up just manually holding the power button down and turning it off that way. does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it? i would really hate to have to pay to get it fixed, but i think that might be the only option. would a system restore somehow magically fix it haha? i know it's not likely, but i'm hopeful...

if you're within 1 year try and take it back and say you have no idea why it's acting up (unless the outside is cracked). if that doesn't work tryreinstalling windows, or ubuntu worst case scenario. if that doesn't work it's time for a new computer.

Originally Posted by infamousod

also, i asked this question in another thread, but it never got answered. i have a dell studio laptop that i bought mid-late last year from best buy. i didn't get a warranty or anything, but the other day i dropped it. it ran absoltely perfectly up until that point. now it'll freeze up from time to time and i'll have to wait up to a minute for something to respond like switching windows or closing programs. it doesn't happen everytime, but only once in a while. also, if i try to shut down, it'll say it's shutting down for the longest time. i left it on for over an hour once and it still said it was shutting down. i always end up just manually holding the power button down and turning it off that way. does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it? i would really hate to have to pay to get it fixed, but i think that might be the only option. would a system restore somehow magically fix it haha? i know it's not likely, but i'm hopeful...
if you're within 1 year try and take it back and say you have no idea why it's acting up (unless the outside is cracked). if that doesn't work try reinstalling windows, or ubuntu worst case scenario. if that doesn't work it's time for a new computer.
I think you dropping the laptop and it going bonkers are just coincidental. Sounds like a software problem. OS just going crazy because of corruptfiles left and right, etc. I bet a System Restore will resolve things.

If you are going to use the beta, it's recommended to do a clean install. I didn't bother dual booting since I wanted to use it as primary. Just makesure you guys backup your music, pics, documents, videos, etc. I just backed everything up to my ipod with the "enable disk" option, the copiedeverything back to the new OS. I had to re-download all my programs, but that isn't a big deal to me.

The people that want to dual-boot, make sure you read up on how to do it. Don't just download the RC, burn it, and run it without making a new partitionetc cause it wont end well.

To burn the ISO file, just download PowerISO, double click the windows fileonce it's downloaded (It'll look like a CD/DVD if you already have PowerISO installed) Then just burn it at a slow speed. I burned it at 8x to be safe.

W7 is working great for me. A good upgrade from Vista. Loving the new taskbar and the new UI features. The wallpapers are beautiful. My RAM usage has been cutin half which in turn has made the GUI and other programs feel more snappier in performance. The only problem I'm having is with my Anti-Virus. It worksbut apparently Windows can't monitor it correctly.

Here's what I'm talking about.

26709425.png

I assume an update from my AV will correct this.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

does anyone know if this runs smoother than xp?

there are some who say that all the countless updates and patches put on XP (mostly for security reasons) bog it down, obviously there aren't any patchesor fixes for W7 yet. The minimum requirements are higher than XP but lower or equal to Vista in some cases.

SaNTi0321 wrote:
It's not out yet. The release candidate just came out today the 5th. Not the retail version. I had the Beta as a second OS, liked it, now I'm downloading the RC and going to use it as my primary OS since its free until May 2010.

I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about
laugh.gif

sounds like your supercharging ya computer

Originally Posted by OnlySomeJordans

W7 is working great for me. A good upgrade from Vista. Loving the new taskbar and the new UI features. The wallpapers are beautiful. My RAM usage has been cut in half which in turn has made the GUI and other programs feel more snappier in performance. The only problem I'm having is with my Anti-Virus. It works but apparently Windows can't monitor it correctly.

Here's what I'm talking about.

26709425.png

I assume an update from my AV will correct this.

What AV do you have?

Back
Top Bottom