Wizards/NBA Heads: What happens next year when Gilbert returns?

Just from the prespective of player movement, Andray Blatche's production, and who's drafted.  We know the Wizards will be terrible for the next couple of years, so let's just focus on next year....under the assumption that Gil is on the roster (hopefully he gets moved....but it's probably a long-shot)

1.  Player movement:  Shaun Livingston.  Dude has proved that his leg is a non-issue.  Gilbert is a player who needs the ball in his hands 80% of the time while on the floor, so how does this bode for Livingston and him possibly re-signing w. DC?  He's going to have a lot of suitors this off-season, but I'm sure Gilbert's return is in the back of his mind. 

2.  Andray Blatche.  He's been playing out of his mind in the absence of the big-3.  Of course he's had the green-light to shoot whenever but is Gilbert's return going to have a positive/negative effect on his production? 

3.  The Draft.  Let's say the Wizards end up w. the #1 overall.  John Wall is the consensus top selection.  Do the Wizards draft him, or select a guy like Evan Turner who may play better w. Gil in the backcourt?  Wall is like Livingston in the sense that they are both PG's, but with Gil on the roster that changes their role and their effectiveness IMO....

How can you say livingston knee is a non issue when he went throught the samething last year? Knee was just fine for most of the year and I'm pretty sure he had to have work on it in the offseason or right before the season started. His knee is never going to be a non issue

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

How can you say livingston knee is a non issue when he went throught the samething last year? Knee was just fine for most of the year and I'm pretty sure he had to have work on it in the offseason or right before the season started. His knee is never going to be a non issue
His knee is fine....he's just as explosive as he was pre-injury....

He'll be back in DC next season, I'm pretty confident in saying that. Unless you have a team willing to take that PR hit for trading for him and you'll still end up eating a big part of that contract. But people love a comeback story, I could see them trying to play it that way.

Mike you typed that on your phone? The most grammatically complete sentences with correct punctuation.

laugh.gif

I hope he comes back and brings that 05-07 excitement to the Wizards...it's not really fun kicking/going against a team when they are down/suck and the fanbase doesn't care...

IF they get the #1 pick in the draft, I think they'll draft Wall and bargain Arenas off to someone. They have a complete youth movement going on in DC right now, and we all know Grunfield doesn't want Gilbert around. I'm not sure who will take Arenas after this incident though, so this is probably the least likely scenario.

Who are they going to bargain him off to w/o having to pay a major portion of that contract?

John Wall for sure. GA can play the 2, granted that the Wizards cant trade away his contract.

They're positioned slightly well, although i really wish they could have gotten more within that Butler & Haywood trade.

Like David Aldridge said, make a move by dealing Gilbert to Orlando for VC (team option), picks, depth.

Keep their lottery pick and build up their youth for one more year before making a splash in free agency in 2011 to bring in a legit player. They could also trade their pick out of the no.1 pick for Michael Beasley.

That way you have Blatche / Beasley / Thornton / Young / Livingston / McGee to build around with a ton of capspace in 2011. Just my input.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Like David Aldridge said, make a move by dealing Gilbert to Orlando for VC (team option), picks, depth.

Keep their lottery pick and build up their youth for one more year before making a splash in free agency in 2011 to bring in a legit player. They could also trade their pick out of the no.1 pick for Michael Beasley.

That way you have Blatche / Beasley / Thornton / Young / Livingston / McGee to build around with a ton of capspace in 2011. Just my input.

Huh? No disrepspect but how does trading Gil for VC benefit Orlando?

Also, dont get me wrong I root for my local dudes like Beasley to do their thing in the league but trading our Lottery Pick for Michael Beasley? Naw, I'll pass on that. IMO Beasley has some issues and bringing him back home to the D.C. area to play for the Wiz would be bad news...

All I know is that Shaun livingston has CERTAINLY not looked like he has these past couple months at any time during his stint with OKC or Miami. Dude is out there moving like it NEVER happened. I can't believe it. He's trying to dunk on everyone.

And why the !%#@ would the magic do that? D12 would never see the ball then

and Nelson may not be better then Gil but I would take him in my team over him any day of the week

And why the !%#@ would the magic do that? D12 would never see the ball then

and Nelson may not be better then Gil but I would take him in my team over him any day of the week
It's no secret that Otis Smith had his eyes on Gil even before the whole gun mess.  Also, do you all really think Gil would be willing to slide over to the 2?  He's a guy who needs the ball in his hands (for better/worse) for the majority of the time he's on the floor.  This is the sole reason why I don't know if Livingston would re-sign or if Wall would be a good fit here in DC.  If Wall is brought in (and hopefully we do get the #1), he SHOULD be playing the 1.  In a perfect world, Gil would slide over to the 2....but that's easier said than done.  

No matter what yall may say or think, Andray Blatche is a guy who you can build around.  He has to mature, but that will hopefully come in due time.  I just think that Gil on the roster creates a variety of problems from minutes allocated to where certain players will play on the court.  It's in the team's best interest to move him.  I've got my fingers x'd that some team who misses out on one of the big FA's this summer makes a deal with the Wizards and gets Gil off this roster. 

Another thing....Shaun Livingston has proven that he can run a team.  He's shown that his knee isn't an issue on the court...he can hit the mid-range jumper with ease, and his explosion is disgusting.  Livingston knows that he'll have a bunch of teams wanting his services for next year and beyond.  He's taken this opportunity w. the Wizards and run with it.  He went from a 10-Day contract to potentially earning a multi-million dollar deal this summer.  In his case, what's the point of re-signing w. the Wizards if the ball is going to be taken out of his hands?  Like my dude INY said last night....Phil likes big PG's.  He'd be an interesting fit in LA. 

I would SERIOUSLY oppose any scenario that has Mike playing in this area. That would not be good AT all.

The whole point of the deal is for Orlando to get an upgrade over Carter. Its not like they play defense out on the perimeter with the exception of Dwight playing on the inside. Whoever thinks that Arenas wouldn't be an upgrade for Orlando need to be checked. The type of offense they run would be perfect for Arenas. Period. Of course, Washington may have to throw something else in there due to Orlando taking on his huge contract, but what other moves would Orlando make to put them over the top?

This is the team that gave Lewis a big deal. Don't put it past them to go after a guy like Gil.

Nelson / Arenas / Pietrus / Lewis / Howard or bring Nelson off the bench to have Arenas / Pietrus / Barnes / Lewis / Howard.

It won't really hurt their plans, its not like they trading away Dwight. They trading away a 33-year old guy out of his prime for a 26-year old guard heading into his prime.

Its just a smart all around decision for both teams. VC has a team option that the Wizards can decline after the 2010 season leaving them with a ton of money to build.

Maybe Beasley won't be a good fit there due to the surrounding area, but it was just an idea being thrown out there. IMO, its a lot better than holding on to Arenas contract. If they don't go for Beasley, they can go for someone else.

They have some nice young players on that team and I think the smart way to go is to get cap space.

Swap him for another terrible contract.

I'm just laughing at the possibility of a DeMarcus Cousins and Andray Blatche front court (to go along with Nick Young). Talented duo but they have the combined IQ and maturity of a newborn baby.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom