WNBA might be gone soon...

owners are losing absolutely no money, i dont care what they say. no one sells their franchise for a loss and no one is hurt by investingowners are losing absolutely no money in a team. the WNBA will stick around for the mere potential of an uprise in the popularity of the women's game - period. considering how little they pay their players, i really, really doubt they're going to cut that off. it might not be clear now but the US needs a womens league.

Taken from article http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8097587/education-wnba :

Right now, three of the 12 WNBA franchises turn a profit: the Sun, Minnesota Lynx and San Antonio Silver Stars

3. Three teams. 25% of WNBA teams turned a profit.
Do you know how many, or how few to give you a hint, NBA teams turn a profit?

I'm for the WNBA. Not that I watch, but it's good for the girls who wanna take their game to the next level and be a professional. 
There are nowhere NEAR enough people with this mindset for me to fathom the WNBA being a long-term thing.

Yes, I know how long it's been around. I remember the inaugural season.

And I'm surprised with every new season.

It's still a man's world, and we (collectively) don't care about women's sports unless they feature a bunch of Playmates wearing as little as possible, or even decent bodies wearing spandex.

"Oh, it's because the actual athleticism is so terrible."

Miss me w/ that. What you want from women (in general)  is clouding your vision and justifying your excuse (speaking to a general audience, of course).

Last edited:
I don't care if WNBA was 10 Halle Berrys none of em got handles like J Cross or dunks like Lebron. If that's all it is then the Lingerie Football League would be selling out and not playing to 45 people

Not the WNBA!!!!

At least ill save cash buying the league pass I guess :/

Last edited:
I read that they average 7,000 fans per game. Yikes. You have to figure a lot of those are free tickets also.

This article is a few years old, but it sheds light on women hooping in Europe:

Is this the "new world order" the first President Bush described after the fall of communism? Bird, born and raised on Long Island, played under an Israeli passport this winter for a team in suburban Moscow where she earned almost four times her $93,000 annual salary with the WNBA. Taurasi, who grew up in California, played under an Italian passport and earned roughly 10 times as much as the $49,000 her WNBA Phoenix Mercury will pay her this season. From December to mid-May, the two former UConn teammates were back together, living in a rent-free, six-bedroom villa only slightly smaller than the Kremlin, so lavish it included an indoor swimming pool and a sauna. They had a part-time cook. They had an interpreter. They had personal drivers. They received three round-trip, business-class flights between the United States and Moscow during the season. They regularly flew business class or charter for road games. They played in a new arena with a photo mural of the team stretching across the entire back wall. von Kalmanovic phoned them several times a day, took them to dinner and shows, and flew them abroad on break.

Rest of Article in Link

For as good as Griner is, Diggins or Delle Donne will be the face(s) of the league for obvious reasons.
View media item 430652
Looks like Sky should be the sole face of the league to me.

Last edited:
There are nowhere NEAR enough people with this mindset for me to fathom the WNBA being a long-term thing.

Yes, I know how long it's been around. I remember the inaugural season.

And I'm surprised with every new season.

It's still a man's world, and we (collectively) don't care about women's sports unless they feature a bunch of Playmates wearing as little as possible, or even decent bodies wearing spandex.

"Oh, it's because the actual athleticism is so terrible."

Miss me w/ that. What you want from women (in general)  is clouding your vision and justifying your excuse (speaking to a general audience, of course).
Get out of here with that. I know you think you're the only person capable of discussing this topic without bias but you're not.

The level of athleticism is significantly lower relative to what's seen in the men's game, don't act like that's not legitimate reasoning.

The fact is that basketball derives a great deal of its entertainment value from the raw athleticism on display. You take that away and the entertainment value takes a bigger hit than others sports. 

For an example I find myself legitimately entertained by women's professional soccer. The drop off in athleticism doesn't hurt the entertainment value of the sport nearly as much as the drop off in athleticism hurts basketball.

Last edited:
I hope it sticks around cause it gives hope for girls playing college ball to one day make it to a pro league. If the WNBA shuts down only the few great college players will get contracts overseas.
For the rest there was no point playing ball in college. Except a free education.

Last edited:
I hope it sticks around cause it gives hope for girls playing college ball to one day make it to a pro league. If the WNBA shuts down only the few great college players will get contracts overseas.
For the rest there was no point playing ball in college. Except a free education.

That's a pretty major perk to brush off. It's not like the WNBA life would really set them up for the future much better than a working career would. The chance for a 60-80K salary from organizations that aren't the most stable doesn't make the WNBA very desirable. I guess the major perk for WNBA players is the fact that their season is so short and they can work elsewhere during the year.

The WNBA has had 5 dunks since it's inception in 1997. Griner had 2 of those 5 dunks last night. It's her league now. Regardless of her looks.

That's not to say that that sole factoid can sustain it's future, but it's to say that if the ship does go down, it won't for lack of effort.

they already said because she had those 2 dunks in game last night she's solidified a spot in the HOF. hahaha.

Last edited:
What happened to it being Candace Parker's league?

I don't get it. Girl had LeBron type hype coming into the league.

She had a baby with alien face Shelden and she faded into the oblivion? Such a weird story honestly.
She had endorsements and everything lined up for years to come. Now she's just forgotten?

Last edited:
I haven't followed women's basketball (and pretty much the only time) since Stanford's tourney run with Nicole Powell. So I'm a bit surprised when I read that there was only 5 dunks since 97. I thought it would be a lot more than that since Candace Parker "won" the HS dunk contest.

Back
Top Bottom