Working for Greedy Bastards FTMFL

So, I just got laid off from my a job a few weeks ago. I was working a retail job for this shoe store (not like a Footlocker, more of a dress shoes/boots place) and they decided they had to let me go because there weren't enough hours to go around for everyone.. My manager called me and in his words said "It's tough to find enough hours for everybody nowadays so we're gonna have to let you go. However, if we decide to start hiring within the upcoming months, I will definitely love to have you back".I started looking for a job for like 2-3 weeks and when I couldn't find one I filed for unemployment

Fast forward to today, I get a phone call from the unemployment office saying that when they contacted my former employer they told them I was fired for poor sales performance
indifferent.gif
..I was working there for over a year and I was always in the top 3 in sales everyday (Out of 8-10 sales people) So I told the lady my side of the story and what my manager said so let's hope they don't %#%@ me over.

Anybody have a similar experience with a previous employer? Does unemployment usually take your side or am I about to be involved in a 5 week period of sending 700 forms to the unemployment office? I'm
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
right now

That blows dude, best of luck getting that straightened out. I would call your old job and ask to talk to whomever talked to the unemployment people

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

So, I just got laid off from my a job a few weeks ago. I was working a retail job for this shoe store (not like a Footlocker, more of a dress shoes/boots place) and they decided they had to let me go because there weren't enough hours to go around for everyone.. My manager called me and in his words said "It's tough to find enough hours for everybody nowadays so we're gonna have to let you go. However, if we decide to start hiring within the upcoming months, I will definitely love to have you back".I started looking for a job for like 2-3 weeks and when I couldn't find one I filed for unemployment

Fast forward to today, I get a phone call from the unemployment office saying that when they contacted my former employer they told them I was fired for poor sales performance
indifferent.gif
..I was working there for over a year and I was always in the top 3 in sales everyday (Out of 8-10 sales people) So I told the lady my side of the story and what my manager said so let's hope they don't %#%@ me over.

Anybody have a similar experience with a previous employer? Does unemployment usually take your side or am I about to be involved in a 5 week period of sending 700 forms to the unemployment office? I'm
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
right now

If unemployment denies you,  appeal the decision and you'll go see an unemployment judge  and your former employeer will have to go as well. If you go and tell them the truth about how their wasn't enough hours you'll win.   If you didn't have any past disciplinary problems at your old job  your good, the burden of proof is on your job to show that they had a legit reason to fire you. If your old job said they fired you off of poor sales performance their only going to look stupider,   poor sales numbers isn't something you can get fired over,  you could be trying your best to get sales and if you aren't  you get fired, thats a load of b.s.

I'm saying the part about them not being able to fire you off of sales numbers from expierence. At my old job my manager was one of those numbers nazi's who wanted you to nag and nag and nag and harass customers about add on sales so your numbers could be good. i told him i would ask customers once but i wouldn't embarass myself begging customers to buy all that add on crap.  He told me if my numbers sucked he would fire me and I told him go ahead ill just get unemployment because firing someone over sales numbers isn't justifable cause for termination, i also told him if he drasticlly cut my hours i would file for unemployment as well. It was pretty rocky between me and him after that but he never harrased me about sales numbers again when i worked there.

Thanks a lot Ceballos..That was very helpful information that you posted

DavidisGodly..You're absolutely right but it wasn't that it was the best job I could get, it was just that I'm a full time student and I was busting my $$% at that store trying to not let my school work affect my work performance and vice versa...So I'd go to work everyday working my $$% off and this is the repayment I get? trying to deny me benefits w/o having the balls to say it to me directly? Things are tough nowadays with jobs and as a student, you constantly need to save money to pay for upcoming tuition, books, etc. so for me not to have a job or unemployment for weeks, or even months is a huge blow..I have money saved up but I don't need to be spending it

...this is why when you are laid off... you ask for a copy of your employment file/record before you leave.

Things are tough nowadays with jobs and as a student
U aint lyin here. It's harder for students to get gigs because of the schedule conflicts.

I hope everything works out for you OP, and go to the spot and ask for your records like Dirty mentioned that way if it goes to a judge, u will have documentation to reference

Me PERSONALLY..........if I found out that someone said that about me i'd go up there and confront him to see what the #+#* the deal is!He's just telling lies so the company won't have to come out the pocket.I cannot stand a person who will tell a blatant lie on someone else like that!

Thanks a lot Ceballos..That was very helpful information that you posted

DavidisGodly..You're absolutely right but it wasn't that it was the best job I could get, it was just that I'm a full time student and I was busting my $$% at that store trying to not let my school work affect my work performance and vice versa...So I'd go to work everyday working my $$% off and this is the repayment I get? trying to deny me benefits w/o having the balls to say it to me directly? Things are tough nowadays with jobs and as a student, you constantly need to save money to pay for upcoming tuition, books, etc. so for me not to have a job or unemployment for weeks, or even months is a huge blow..I have money saved up but I don't need to be spending it

no problem,  most employers especially corporate employers are greedy selfish bastards which is the reason why these jobs are pretty much a revolving door when it comes to employees.  they come and they go.  they either quit because the wages are crap or they realize that the job wants you to give your all to the company when the company doesn't give 1% of that loyalty back to you,  or they get fired over something stupid and pety.

when i managed in retail, i always told my employees to never get to close to any of the higher ups and to take those smiles in the face and kind words the higher ups would give them with a grain of salt because those people weren't their friends and weren't looking out for their best interest.

i would always tell my employees,  get your stuff done and look out for eachother rather then try to kiss butt and get a pat on the back from corporate.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

get your stuff done and look out for eachother rather then try to kiss butt and get a pat on the back from corporate.

this. by the way i'm in college and i work at finishline and i have one of those number crazy bosses. #!+# those corporate mother-@$!#%%@. i'm just glad that in 3 years i will be making more money than his sorry +!+ and have more authority.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by pricankid9

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

get your stuff done and look out for eachother rather then try to kiss butt and get a pat on the back from corporate.

this. by the way i work at finishline. %%++ those coporate mother-@$%@@$*.

and thats how it needs to be at alot of these retail jobs but so many employees are brainwashed into thinking   company > them

before i got promoted my old manager would work on his breaks and expected us to clock out and continue working. i refused to work for free but some of my old coworkers would actually do it,  stuff like that makes me sick because people in the past have fought for workers rights and your telling your employees to work on their breaks, its pretty much a slap in the face to those who scarificed and made the effort for employees to have more rights.

Back
Top Bottom