Would it be possible to get a true classic games channel?

ESPN classic is a joke for the most part imo. More poker, more old lame shows, and maybe once a day they show an actual classic game.

Once a month or so they have a little mini marathon of like 4-5 games.
pimp.gif

Hell, most of the time when they show a classic game, it's the same game over and over. I think they should be able to show any game they want at any timeif it's "classic" worthy.

But rights wise, would there ever be a way to have 24 hours a day of nothing but classic games? Jordan 50 point games, Kobe 50 point games, Bron games,classic playoff games/series like the Bulls/Celts from last season, or we could even expand it to NFL or MLB games. Bonds 3 homer games and no hitters andstuff. OT NFL games, super bowls, huge record type games.

Would they have to be approved by the leagues and are all these games simply sitting in a vault somewhere doing nothing?

Any ideas?

I remember when it was Classic Sports Network
pimp.gif

Rights fees killed ESPN Classic. What's happening now is there are so many new channels, i.e. NBATV, NFL Network, MLB, Big Ten Network, etc and they nowkeep most their classic games.

You would think ESPN would still have a vault of junk to use....but I'm sure they have to go through loopholes just to air one game. I think it's onlya matter of time before it is rebranded and it's ESPN3 or even worse ESPN Reality or something.

NBA TV has been showing classic NBA games all summer

NFL Network has been showing classic NFL games all summer

and the MLB channel has done the same

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Yep...

MLB Channel especially... Seems like every time I turn that +*%+ on they've got some kinda classic game on...

Yea mike, Classic games are broadcast on numerous channels

Even ESPNU does college football games.

Anyone watchin the MLBTV classics notice how crappy the vid quality was back then (even replayed in HD and on a small screen)?
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Those old MLB all star games and announcers though
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

About 2 months ago, NFLTV showed a reply of the Jets/Dolphins monday night massacre.

Last week, guess what they showed? The exact same game.

It's a rotation dude. They have X amount of games in the rotation and they play THAT game over and over to fill time slots.

You got any idea how many times I saw Brett Favre first start vs the Bengals last season? Like 15 times.

I'm talkin a full lineup, of nothin but classics.

Wake up, Bo Jackson vs the Seahawks.
Bo Jackson, MLB all star game, lead off monster homerun game.
Michael Jordan double nickel vs the Knicks wearin 45.
Dan Marino fake spike game
Nolan Ryan 4th no hitter
Jerry Rice 5 TD game vs the Falcons
AP 280 yards vs the Chargers
Mark McGwire 3 home run game.
Kobe Bryant 65 vs Portland.

Look at that lineup. Would you even go to work if you woke up and saw that schedule, or would you simply press the record button on the DVR and soak all that@#$% in?

This is the channel we need in our lives. This is the world I wanna live in.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I remember when it was Classic Sports Network
pimp.gif

Rights fees killed ESPN Classic. What's happening now is there are so many new channels, i.e. NBATV, NFL Network, MLB, Big Ten Network, etc and they now keep most their classic games.

You would think ESPN would still have a vault of junk to use....but I'm sure they have to go through loopholes just to air one game. I think it's only a matter of time before it is rebranded and it's ESPN3 or even worse ESPN Reality or something.

Yup they don't hold the rights to a lot of stuff. Hell they just started showing old classic fights from Showtime they just purchased the rights to. Nowduring the commercials breaks they show all kinds of ads for Showtime TV shows. One network that is not budging is HBO.

They definitely need to do this but they won't because of all the right fees like RyGuy said....just keep track of what the NBA, NFL, and MLB networks allair.

I can't tell you how many times the NFL Network has replayed the Eagles/Cardinals NFC Championship game from this past year
smh.gif

You gotta pay for the NBA and NFL networks right? I know MLB stuff comes free on my cable.

Even better idea, what about an in demand type deal?

1,000 games to choose from, click on the one you want, boom, watch instantly.

Somebody give me like a billion dollars and I can make this all happen for us.

Even better idea, what about an in demand type deal?

1,000 games to choose from, click on the one you want, boom, watch instantly.

Somebody give me like a billion dollars and I can make this all happen for us.
That's coming.

We are moving towards the "get it now" way of living in all entertainment and technology. And it is only a matter of time before an in demand-typeprocess happens for old games. It's free money to these leagues....the games are over and done with and they can reap the additional money decades later.Brilliant.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Wake up, Bo Jackson vs the Seahawks.
Bo Jackson, MLB all star game, lead off monster homerun game.
Michael Jordan double nickel vs the Knicks wearin 45.
Dan Marino fake spike game
Nolan Ryan 4th no hitter
Jerry Rice 5 TD game vs the Falcons
AP 280 yards vs the Chargers
Mark McGwire 3 home run game.
Kobe Bryant 65 vs Portland.
6bb16e45287acea8dbe0e7748a81a8b92feb2bb4.gif

Good idea, though.

Back
Top Bottom