Would you feel slighted if someone said you were a "natural athlete"?

My girlfriend called me all happy the other day talking about "my mom finally said something positive about you ( 
laugh.gif
)". "She said you're such a good athlete, it just comes natural to you." Wait a minute.. I'm a 5'7, 155lb white dude who was previously "that chubby kid" that got picked last in dodgeball every time in grade school. Ya I'm ok at basketball but that's because I spent almost every day at the courts in rain or 100 degree weather practicing BY MYSELF for years as a teenager. Ya I made my JuCo baseball team having never played organized baseball before but that's cuz I had more heart than anyone out there and had to sit through a season of riding the pine. Ya I ran 13 miles the other day, but that's cuz I suffered through the blood, sweat, blisters, fatigue, and cramps to cross the finish line. I've always prided myself on working harder than everybody else out there and being the undersize, gritty, scrappy player. When people see athletic prowess as a result of some sort of favorable genetic predisposition I feel super slighted.

Anybody else feel this way or am I being overly sensitive?

Women (the vast majority) cannot an athlete from a non athlete.
Their opinion is void.

In some cases it's warranted...yours appears to fall in that category. Ray Allen was upset when people credited his God-given talents instead of his countless hours of practice for his shooting ability. I can understand why some people would get upset, but it's not one thing or the other; it's a combination of talent and practice/will/competitiveness etc.

In other words, the whole world could practice shooting like Ray Allen, but it's a pre-req to have some athleticism/talent to pull it off as seamlessly as he does. If it were so easy to just practice harder than everybody else, there would be hundreds of Ray Ray's.

Let me get this straight. You are offended because your girlfriends MOTHER, someone who odds are knows little to nothing about sports, called you a "natural athlete?"
laugh.gif

Come on now. Take the compliment.

if anything you should be proud. she's basically looking past the fact that you're a "5'7, 155lb white dude" and thinks it comes naturally for you. the only reason to be offended would be if she were to say you don't have to work hard for anything because you're a "natural athlete"

Originally Posted by dland24

Let me get this straight. You are offended because your girlfriends MOTHER, someone who odds are knows little to nothing about sports, called you a "natural athlete?"
laugh.gif

Come on now. Take the compliment.
OP can't comprehend common sense

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Your whole post is one big humblebrag

This. And it's 100% situational. If it does come easy to you then you don't feel slighted, if you had to work hard for it then obviously you want the recognition.

For those of you that have a hard time of understanding, OP is disrespected because to claim someone is a natural indirectly pokes at their work ethic. There is an invisible sliding scale between the naturally gifted and the hard workers. He doesn't want people to believe he just has "it" and didn't work for it. He wants credit for the work put in.

OP, I understand your pain man.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

For those of you that have a hard time of understanding, OP is disrespected because to claim someone is a natural indirectly pokes at their work ethic. There is an invisible sliding scale between the naturally gifted and the hard workers. He doesn't want people to believe he just has "it" and didn't work for it. He wants credit for the work put in.

What are you good at DC?

Originally Posted by Fig Neutonn

What are you good at DC?
Grave digging and assigning dunk packages in NBA 2K............

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Fig Neutonn

What are you good at DC?
Grave digging and assigning dunk packages in NBA 2K............
watching luchador wrestling by himself

Back
Top Bottom