Wrestling Thread Feb 22-28 | 2/26 Smackdown - Money In The Bank Qualifying Matches

We're 34 days away from WrestleMania, and after last night's Elimination Chamber PPV and tonight's Raw, things should become pretty clear for the top of the card.  Last night's show had it's highs and lows.  There was some good foundations set for WrestleMania, but some also very questionable decisions.  Let's start with the bad.  Why exactly did John Cena win the Raw Elimination Chamber?  It's clear that we will be getting John Cena vs Batista at WrestleMania.  Is the title needed to sell that match?  That feud has already been established.  They are two of the biggest stars in the WWE.  There is already a program with Batista being Mr. McMahon's hitman (no pun intended).  So what is the need to throw in the WWE Title?  It doesn't enhance the match, and it only takes away from another match on the card.  Going along with Cena winning the Elimination Chamber also means that Sheamus lost the match and the WWE Title.  I guess the WWE's new philosophy is to push younger talent until WrestleMania gets here.  Then it's back to putting the same five or six guys in the main event.  Do they still go forward with the planned HHH vs Sheamus match at WrestleMania?  I don't see anyone getting excited for that match or giving Sheamus a shot in Hell at winning.  And it's a strong possibility that HHH vs Sheamus doesn't even happen now.  Then for for Sheamus?  Does he become the next Jack Swagger?  Or maybe a Kofi Kingston?  I don't know.  He doesn't have the mic skills or talent to break through like CM Punk.  For putting so many eggs in the basket of Sheamus so early and quickly, it sure seems to me that they threw it out the window.  Of course, we've seen that plenty of times before.

The Undertaker was about to defeat Chris Jericho, despite first and second degree burns, when Shawn Michaels appears from under the chamber and superkicks The Undertaker allowing Chris Jericho to make the cover and become the new World Champion.  It was a simple angle that most everyone saw coming, but sometimes it's the simplest angles that are most effective.  The show didn't end by focusing on Jericho winning the World Title, but instead, the last thing we saw was Shawn Michaels standing over a lifeless body of The Undertaker.  The build to their rematch has already been great, and now you know The Undertaker will be out for blood (at least until the WWE cut man gets involved) from Shawn Michaels.  There are rumors of a possible gimmick match (I would hope Casket as I think Buried Alive is a bit cheesy).  I think adding a gimmick would be a good idea and take some heat off both men to match the performance they had in last year's singles match.

And now that we know Batista and Chris Jericho are the heavyweight champions, Edge has announced that he will make his decision on who he will face at WrestleMania tonight.  I'm sure the WWE will try to swerve us, but we know it will end up being Edge challenging Chris Jericho for the World Title.  It should be a great match and has been building since Edge's injury.

Legacy once again cost Randy Orton a chance at the WWE Title.  Cody Rhodes brought a steel pipe to the chamber and threw it in.  Ted Dibiase got the pipe and either purposely or inadvertently hit Randy with it and subsequently pinned and eliminated him.  So it's now clear that Orton and Dibiase are split, but there are still a lot of questions.  Who does Cody side with?  He has seemed to always have Orton's best interest in mind, but like a bumbling sidekick, the plan always goes wrong.  And who plays the face and who plays the heel?  Fans are dying to treat Orton as a face, but I don't know if the WWE will go that way.

The Miz beat MVP once again last night in an impromptu match for the United States Title.  MVP has been buried beyond repair in my opinion.  He wins meaningless tag team matches, but he never wins a singles match of importance.  They focused more on The Miz's student on NXT, Daniel Brian.  I still hate the name, but an eventual Miz vs Brian feud is very compelling.  I'm actually very excited for tomorrow night's NXT show.

I have no idea what is going on with the Divas Title anymore.  I wish they would just do away with the belt.  There's no need for two women's titles, not to mention the belt is hideous.  Just put Maryse on screen for a few minutes, and I think we'll all be happy.

And I almost forgot.  The WWE will follow up on last week's shocking angle where Bret Hart had his leg broken in a car door.  Ugh.  I had such high hopes for the program before last week's segment.  It made me lose all interest.

Oh yeah... A country singer and bull rider host Raw tonight.  Can't wait for that.

I posted this in the older thread earlier today, if anyone missed it...

[h1]
[h1]Bret Hart Set to Win the WWE Title at WrestleMania?[/h1]By Marc Middleton on February 22, 2010
Partial source: PWTorch.com

- Multiple WWE sources are reporting that Vince McMahon has decided to go a different direction with the Bret Hart storyline and WrestleMania. Believe it or not, the plan as of this weekend was for Bret to win the WWE Title at WrestleMania.

The plan as of Sunday morning was to have either Batista or John Cena walk out of Elimination Chamber with the WWE Title, which obviously Batista won. This should lead to Bret Hart & John Cena vs. Vince McMahon & Batista at WrestleMania with the person who gets the winning pinfall will be new WWE Champion.

The angle has been described as something that would be a “feel-good title win
[/h1]

Ill be at the RAW before wrestlemania, tickets better be worth it. On paper is looks like the WWE is going in the right direction.

Money In The Bank Qualifying Matches Confirmed For RAW
WWE issued the following on their Twitter account moments ago:
Just announced: MONEY IN THE BANK Qualifying Matches will begin TONIGHT on Raw. Watch LIVE at 9/8 CT on @USA_Network!!

This will make a bunch of guys happy as many were worried about thatWrestleMania payoff. This also doesn't make much sense with an entirePPV event based around Money in the Bank in several months.

WWE Official Addresses Undertaker's Health After Fire Incident
World Wrestling Entertainment spokesman Robert Zimmerman told the St.Louis based Riverfront Times newspaper that Undertaker's fire accidentat last night's Elimination Chamber pay-per-view was due to "a mistiming with the pyrotechnics."
He added that Undertaker was only allowed to perform after being cleared by a ringside physician.

"Thank God he was fine," Zimmerman said. "It basically amounted to asunburn. It wasn't over a large area of his body, just a short area,just a little bit on his chest."

When asked if the incident will cause WWEto review or change their procedures for having flamethrowers as partof their productions, Zimmerman replied, "I don't know. I haven'tspoken to anyone to find out what was the cause, if it was timing, ifthere was something wrong with whatever. We have to go back andinvestigate and make a final determination."

Via Twitter, Jim Ross also commented on Taker's fiery mishap.

"Undertaker is ok from what I understand but "lucky." He's a tuf as they come w/o question."

WWE is pulling YouTube videos of the incident.

Y2J Takes Shot At Bischoff
After winning the World Title last night, Chris Jericho took the time to post a little something for Eric Bischoff,who previously said Jericho was talented, but shouldn't be top of thecard… "Wow, World Champion for the sixth time. This could never happenin TNA!"
Bret Hart Will Not Appear On RAW Tonight
WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart posted a blog update on his Facebook.com page stating that he will not be on tonight's WWE RAW following last week's backstage car crash storyline. He wrote:
"It was really great seeing so many of the WWE wrestlers backstage inthe last couple of months. I would've loved to have spent more timewith many of them,. I won't be at Raw in Indianapolis but it would'vebeen great to have gone back there another great city where I've hadmany great matches."

Hart stays "in character" throughout the blog, referencing the scriptedleg injury that is keeping him away from WWE television for now. "It'sbeen hard getting around with my leg but, all things considered, theweather's been really nice and, with the Olympics on, it's worthpropping your leg up and getting lost in the excitement of it all."

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Y2J Takes Shot At Bischoff
After winning the World Title last night, Chris Jericho took the time to post a little something for Eric Bischoff,who previously said Jericho was talented, but shouldn't be top of thecard… "Wow, World Champion for the sixth time. This could never happenin TNA!"

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Take notes Bischoff.

Some thoughts from Elimination Chamber last night:

First off, I don't know what WWE's stance is on where to sell their t-shirts, but it took me about 30 minutes just to get to my seat after getting into Scottrade thanks to the t-shirt lines cutting the concourse walkway basically in half. Once we got settled in, the dark match was up - Christian vs. Ezekiel. Besides the 2 Chamber matches, this match had the biggest pop of the night. The two had a very good match, then Christian hit the killswitch (another awful name for a finisher) and got the pin.

I love the fact that St. Louis stands behind Randy Orton STRONG. Those RKO chants were great.

Miz making fun of the Rams was GOLD.

I posted this in the last thread, but I saw the Undertaker get engulfed in that flame and looked at my cousin like
eek.gif
. I thought it was part of the HBK storyline, but obviously it wasn't.

Finally, for whatever it's worth, I was repping the GWO last night with the sign. Not like you can see it, but here it is.
laugh.gif

kanye_shrug.png

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Money In The Bank Qualifying Matches Confirmed For RAW
WWE issued the following on their Twitter account moments ago:
Just announced: MONEY IN THE BANK Qualifying Matches will begin TONIGHT on Raw. Watch LIVE at 9/8 CT on @USA_Network!!

This will make a bunch of guys happy as many were worried about thatWrestleMania payoff. This also doesn't make much sense with an entirePPV event based around Money in the Bank in several months.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

[h1]
[h1]Bret Hart Set to Win the WWE Title at WrestleMania?[/h1]By Marc Middleton on February 22, 2010

- Multiple WWE sources are reporting that Vince McMahon has decided to go a different direction with the Bret Hart storyline and WrestleMania. Believe it or not, the plan as of this weekend was for Bret to win the WWE Title at WrestleMania.

The plan as of Sunday morning was to have either Batista or John Cena walk out of Elimination Chamber with the WWE Title, which obviously Batista won. This should lead to Bret Hart & John Cena vs. Vince McMahon & Batista at WrestleMania with the person who gets the winning pinfall will be new WWE Champion.

[/h1]

I have to say after last night..i'm finally used to the PG era and know what to expect from it. With that being said..Chris Jericho, The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio and CM Punk are gold in this era.

They play it to their advantage. Alright, I know that provided no insight but I just had to get that out there.

Looking forward to Raw. Can't wait to see who might be in the MITB qualifiers.

JCH3, How well could you see the match through the chamber?

Actually, it sucked.
laugh.gif

My sight line was right through one of the pods. The one that Mysterio and Cena were in. So any action in the middle of the ring I usually had to look up at the Jumbotron. Seats were real good for all of the non-EC matches, though.

I'll post a few pics whenever my girlfriend dumps them off her camera. She hates wrestling, but in her words, "It was entertaining."
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CHICHAN

So.... morrison's "injury" played almost no part in last night's EC.

What now?

Don't know what the point of that angle is. But JoMo needs a serious push and needs to win MITB

I haven't watched wrestling in months, but I'll be tuning in casually leading up to Wrestlemania. Mostly because I'm really looking forward to Edge v Jericho and HBK v Taker II.

Yo..I think with MITB...whoever wins at WM will cash it in that night and lose...and then whoever wins at the MITB PPV will actually win the title by SS.

[h1]

[/h1]

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I haven't watched wrestling in months, but I'll be tuning in casually leading up to Wrestlemania. Mostly because I'm really looking forward to Edge v Jericho and HBK v Taker II.
Nah you can keep fist pumping somewhere else, Frank.
alien.gif

Y2J starting off RAW.
pimp.gif

I don't know what led me to look this up but there have been 11 Elimination Chamber matches in WWE history.

Triple H has been in 6 including last night and has won 4 of them.
smh.gif

The only other wrestler to win more than 1 chamber match is John Cena, who has been in 3 of them.

Combined, when Triple H or Cena is in the chamber, they have won the title 75% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom