XXL's Top 30 Independent Artists in the Game

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

Mac Miller 
roll.gif

So lame 

You may think he is lame but his hustle can not denied.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by RedMan

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Disgusting how hard people sleep on Skyzoo.

Bronson HAS to be on there too. Close to the top of the list at that.

Get out of here with that. Bronson isn't even known like that. Everyone has built a little name for themselves.

Never heard a single musical note associated with:

Atmosphere
   Lacrae

Kid Ink

Chris Webby

Macklemore

Hopsin

And how is you gonna act like Bronson is so far-fetched when Statik Selektah (who's on the list) did a whole album with him recently?

Son is laying verses with every body in the industry from Cormega and Saigon to Coke Boys, Riff Raff and Ghostface. He's out there. Reebok sponsored his last mixtape.

Devin the Dude has laid a verse with every big name rap artist but he is not a household name.

Atmosphere is one of my favorite rappers, his story-telling is just amazing. And he can rap to literally anything.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

Mac Miller 
roll.gif

So lame 
He doin' more than most signed artists, tho.

You can't deny the kid is puttin' in that work 24/7/365.

Exactly. Love him or hate him dude is moving sales.
I agree with everyone else saying Bronson should have made the list. A lot of people on the list I have seen or heard the name but haven't listened to more than one or two songs. 
ohwell.gif

Tech N9ne should be first. Sure, Mac has a bigger buzz than him and is doing Mountain Dew commercials. But Tech has a whole label that has surprisingly been putting out good music for the past couple years. I'm not a fan of either, but you can't deny the hustle Tech puts forth to be where he's at right now.

No Spaceghostpurrp, Vince Staples, or Neako? Also some of the dudes they did put on this list suck like....
Kid Ink, Chris Webby, Macklemore & Hopsin
The 3 I named & Action Bronson could easily replace them
And I didnt know Styles P, Fat Joe, Juvenile, DJ Drama & E 40 are independent

Originally Posted by Dat Dude Chris

No Spaceghostpurrp, Vince Staples, or Neako? Also some of the dudes they did put on this list suck like....

and what kinda artist is DJ Drama anyways?

Originally Posted by solarius49

and what kinda artist is DJ Drama anyways?

Hes very instrumental to every song he does on, just like DJ Khaled lol

Wait, how does mac miller get clowned for being lame and corny and childish gambino doesn't?

son has the swag of a chess team captain

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

Wait, how does mac miller get clowned for being lame and corny and childish gambino doesn't?

because Gambino actually worked his way into the game. Mac is a white jew who came up right after Wiz from the same city. his success was damn near guaranteed. Gambino could have EASILY flopped and been unheard of.

I DO put Gambino & Mac in the same genre though, so i see where you are coming from.

Can't really argue Mac does move units....i don't like him but hey he is doing his thing.

How is El-P on the list honestly?  I love him but i didn't think he was a big indy artist.  Did anyone actually buy Cancer 4 cure?  I guess RAP music gives him the credit.

My favorite artists are indie and didn't make the list

Jedi Mind Tricks
Aesop Rock (new album out tomorrow
pimp.gif
)
P.O.S. (and Dessa from doomtree)
The Weeknd (would he even count? i think he is still independent and he is kinda hip hop)
La Coka Nostra (Ill Bill as a solo artist too)
Torae
Skyzoo
Sage Francis
Necro (production purposes basically lol)
Homeboy Sandman
Brother Ali
Murs

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

because Gambino actually worked his way into the game. Mac is a white jew who came up right after Wiz from the same city. his success was damn near guaranteed. Gambino could have EASILY flopped and been unheard of.

I DO put Gambino & Mac in the same genre though, so i see where you are coming from.
WHAT? wow one of the dumbest things ive ever read

What? You do know even if Gambino flopped it wouldnt have affected him nearly as much as it woulda for Mac since Gambino is also a TV writer AND a comedian under his real name Donald Glover. So in reality you got it twisted on who worked their way into the game

What? You do know even if Gambino flopped it wouldnt have affected him nearly as much as it woulda for Mac since Gambino is also a TV writer AND a comedian under his real name Donald Glover. So in reality you got it twisted on who worked their way into the game

I dont like that "white jew statement"...but being from Pittsburgh, I saw Wiz grind his way into the game since he was 16.  I had NEVER heard of Mac Miller before until that KIDS song came out

Only people that care about another man's swag are women. No man says " Ahh man I don't like that dude because his swag ain't up to par...".
PJ and Bompton wrote:
Checks McGee wrote:

I don't know about that. I'm not much of a fan of Mac Miller but dude put his work in. Maybe not as much as Wiz but he surely wasn't a overnight success. Dude put in just as much work as Childish Gambino did if not more.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Atmosphere is one of my favorite rappers, his story-telling is just amazing. And he can rap to literally anything.
i gotta correct this everytime i see it.
Atmosphere is the name of the group. Slug is the MC. Ant is the Producer/Dj.

So you mean Slug is one of your favorite rappers. 

Back
Top Bottom