YO! Can we discuss Black movies (or the lack thereof) ?...

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
If we still have a need for "black" movies there really isn't change either.
You're too hung up on the diction.

There is a DEFINITE need for there to be positive images of people of color on both the big screen and on television.

Be serious.

DF!!!

There are plenty of positive representations.
Every Will Smith Film?.....Spike Lee Movies?......Finding Forrester?.....Denzel Washington?....I still am not seeing what a "black" film is?
Denzel had to play a crooked cop to win an Oscar
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Its not just putting black people on screen more, its putting more positive images of blacks out there and studio executives allowing blacks that creativefreedom from the start of any and all projects.

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
If we still have a need for "black" movies there really isn't change either.
You're too hung up on the diction.

There is a DEFINITE need for there to be positive images of people of color on both the big screen and on television.

Be serious.

DF!!!

There are plenty of positive representations.
Every Will Smith Film?.....Spike Lee Movies?......Finding Forrester?.....Denzel Washington?....I still am not seeing what a "black" film is?
Denzel had to play a crooked cop to win an Oscar
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Its not just putting black people on screen more, its putting more positive images of blacks out there and studio executives allowing blacks that creative freedom from the start of any and all projects.

Hurricane?...I mean come on, I am all for equality, but entertainment is one of two fields where I don't think there is an issue. But that is my opinion.The biggest movie star in the world is BLACK...Despite what you believe that breeds a lot more power than you believe. The leader of one of the largestConglomerates in the world is black.(Time Warner)...I mean white directors don't even have any freedom really.

I keep hearing "black" film. Art belongs to people not races, what you consider a black film, I might not and vice versa.

YO!
Hurricane?...I mean come on, I am all for equality, but entertainment is one of two fields where I don't think there is an issue. But that is my opinion. The biggest movie star in the world is BLACK...Despite what you believe that breeds a lot more power than you believe. The leader of one of the largest Conglomerates in the world is black.(Time Warner)...I mean white directors don't even have any freedom really.

I keep hearing "black" film. Art belongs to people not races, what you consider a black film, I might not and vice versa.
First off, you're still hung up on the diction of the first post. I clearly explain that I specifically mean movies with more positive orrelateable images of Black people.

Beyond that... ol' boy from Time Warner; what's his name? Without Googling it (fyi: he's no longer there). In no way am I denying that there areBlack people in positions of power or that are aren't already "some" positive images. But, sir, the majority of the images we see do not reflectthose facts.

The skin color of an artist doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the work, however for Minorities it would affect self-image.

DF!!!

Originally Posted by Cubs Davinci

I dont support Tyler Perry at all son is a crispy crunchity crackity %#%+
I agree, except for that last part. He is doing him but I can't get into his movies for the life of me.

Great discussion ya'll. I had this conversation in my media studies classes before.
In my opinion, the entire media culture revolving around black people has been polluted to the point that the studio heads see that an out of the box moviewill not make them any money. It is sad. Aside from a handful of people like Spike Lee, Aaron McGruder, Dr. West (not Kanye) and a few others, I reallydon't see anyone who can make a movie with substance.

Maybe I am wrong but from my experiences I believe that it all starts with education. I taught and dealt with black youths and they don't care aboutanything else but what they see on t.v and music videos. So if the children are not being brought up with the proper knowledge then they can't make any"positive" impact in any field.

Bamboozled FTW

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Anyone see the movie Talk to me with Don Cheadle? It is a really good movie that chronicles the emergence of Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene around the late 60's and the era of the Black Panthers. I don't think it was in theatres, but I would recommend it. It's a good flick.

Yea it was in theaters. Pretty good movie.

Originally Posted by Uptempo kid

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Anyone see the movie Talk to me with Don Cheadle? It is a really good movie that chronicles the emergence of Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene around the late 60's and the era of the Black Panthers. I don't think it was in theatres, but I would recommend it. It's a good flick.

Yea it was in theaters. Pretty good movie.
Very good movie

when they played "a change going to come"
frown.gif
, MLK scene

you're right, once these movies are not profitable, they will stop making them.

but what i pose is this,

how will the "black movie" change ?

hopefully, it will become a visual neo-harlem renaissance.

but that is aiming for the fences.

Back
Top Bottom