Yo... This Album DESERVES An Appreciation Thread

Spoiler [+]
backofmylaccover.jpg

From start to finish this album is a BANGER...

I know he doesn't get the NT hype that other R&B artists do (Trey, Dream, sometimes NeYo & Raheem Devaugh etc)...

But IMO this is DEFFINETLY one of the10 best R&B debuts of the past decade, it offers a lil bit of everything you want in an album...

The Hood $+#%... The tryin to get the girl record... The GOT the girl record... Keepin the girl happy record... The Gettin a *@@%+ high for the first time record
pimp.gif

Dream hooked him up REAL nice with "Bed" & "Suffocate" 2 of the BEST R&B singles of the decade...

Glad he's over @ Def Jam now and workin with Dream & company again... Expect MANY more hits in the near future...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Spoiler [+]
backofmylaccover.jpg

But IMO this is DEFFINETLY one of the10 best R&B debuts of the past decade, it offers a lil bit of everything you want in an album...

Dream hooked him up REAL nice with "Bed" & "Suffocate" 2 of the BEST R&B singles of the decade...
the album was ok and all but you are really reaching (wildin) with this one especially with those two quotes...maybe 2 of the best R&B singles of that year...but decade....stop it...and to say top ten R&B debuts of the decade doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot

You can't possibly be serious. 

indifferent.gif

Devin the dude > J.holiday.

Jaheim - Put That Women First >
Musiq - Love >
Maxwell - Pretty Wings >
Jagged Edge - Promise >
Usher - You Got It Bad & Burn >
Anthony Hamilton - Charlene >

Originally Posted by Sloane Kettering

Spoiler [+]
backofmylaccover.jpg

the album was ok and all but you are really reaching (wildin) with this one especially with those two quotes...maybe 2 of the best R&B singles of that year...but decade....stop it...and to say top ten R&B debuts of the decade doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot

Why not the decade??

If you took the 10 best R&B songs of each year of the 2000s (=100 songs) "Bed" & "Suffocate" wouldn't be on there??
eyes.gif

As far as one of the BEST debut of the decade, how is that a bad thing?? Why wouldn't it "mean a whole hell of a lot"?? Being one of the best in a 10 year period should mean somethin...

Devin the dude > J.holiday.
@ singing??

You can't possibly be serious.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Musiq - Love >
Maxwell - Pretty Wings >
Jagged Edge - Promise >

"Bed" went to #1 on the R&B Charts just like those records... (with the exception of "Charlene" #3 & "Put That Woman 1st" #5)

"Suffocate" went to #2...

So what you sayin??

Why not the decade??

If you took the 10 best R&B songs of each year of the 2000s (=100 songs) "Bed" & "Suffocate" wouldn't be on there??
eyes.gif

As far as one of the BEST debut of the decade, how is that a bad thing?? Why wouldn't it "mean a whole hell of a lot"?? Being one of the best in a 10 year period should mean somethin...
First off No, Neither Bed, nor Suffocate are not in the top, hell they aren't even in my top 25 there are sooo many great R&B singles that decade that you are skipping over its not even funny ...and it is something to be top 10 for a decade, but the 2000's was by no means a golden age for new R&B...

my list of dudes debuts ahead of J's in no particular order are:

Aijuswanaseing, Love Hate, In My Own Words, So Blu, Songs in A Minor,  The Introduction of Marcus Cooper, Get Lifted

And that's just off the top of my head...i bet there are probably one or two others i could name that I've liked more  

and btw chart position doesn't make it top 10 status for the decade..

cmon.gif

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Musiq - Love >
Maxwell - Pretty Wings >
Jagged Edge - Promise >

"Bed" went to #1 on the R&B Charts just like those records... (with the exception of "Charlene" #3 & "Put That Woman 1st" #5)

"Suffocate" went to #2...

So what you sayin??

The hell chart position gotta do with the content of the track.
laugh.gif
Promise is a certified "Wedding song" now.

Why not the decade??

eyes.gif

First off No, Neither Bed, nor Suffocate are not in the top, hell they aren't even in my top 25 there are sooo many great R&B singles that decade that you are skipping over its not even funny ...and it is something to be top 10 for a decade, but the 2000's was by no means a golden age for new R&B...

Aijuswanaseing, Love Hate, In My Own Words, So Blu, Songs in A Minor,  The Introduction of Marcus Cooper, Get Lifted

And that's just off the top of my head...i bet there are probably one or two others i could name that I've liked more  

But that's YOUR opinion...

And IMO Back Of My Lac is better than ALL the albums you listed except Songs In A Minor & Get Lifted...

Wheather or not "Bed" or "Suffocate" are in YOUR top 25, doesn't change the fact that they were BOTH hits peaking @ #1 &#2 on the R&B charts...

How am I skipping over other songs from the decade?? I know this is NT and everything eventually becomes a > b and who's willing to argue longer for either side... I'm not takin ANYthing away from anyone elses work, I'm appreciating J Holiday's Back Of My Lac... 

Why not the decade??

eyes.gif

But that's YOUR opinion...

And IMO Back Of My Lac is better than ALL the albums you listed except Songs In A Minor & Get Lifted...

Wheather or not "Bed" or "Suffocate" are in YOUR top 25, doesn't change the fact that they were BOTH hits peaking @ #1 &#2 on the R&B charts...

How am I skipping over other songs from the decade?? I know this is NT and everything eventually becomes a > b and who's willing to argue longer for either side... I'm not takin ANYthing away from anyone elses work, I'm appreciating J Holiday's Back Of My Lac... 

then if that's the case there doesn't need to be an appreciation thread if you are most likely the only one drinking that tainted kool-aid...its always opinion and you are entitled to it, but c'mon top 10? of the decade? i would really like to kno what else is in your top 10....and like i said before chart position/success means nothing really...i mean tha carter 3 sold a mil in a week, would you say that is one of the best of the decade?

The hell chart position gotta do with the content of the track.
laugh.gif
Promise is a certified "Wedding song" now.
Being a certified "wedding song" > Doin well on the Billboard charts...

There's these cats @ Billboard that do extensive work tracking the positioning on tracks... I guess their job isn't as important as wedding DJs tho...

It doesn't??

Wonder why they waste their time tracking that data...

It doesn't??

seriously tho?
smh.gif

So I guess The Massacre and Tha Carter III are 2 of the best albums of the 2000's
smh.gif

It doesn't??

seriously tho?
smh.gif

So I guess The Massacre and Tha Carter III are 2 of the best albums of the 2000's
smh.gif

Those are albums whose chart positioning was determined by SALES... (& they both sold VERY well)

& YES Massacre & Carter 3 were 2 of the best SELLING albums of the 2000s

Holiday's #s are determined by SALES & Airplay...

Billboard made a top 100 R&B songs of the decade, and surprise surprise... BOTH "Bed" & "Suffocate" appeared on the list...

But I'm sure they don't know what their talkin about either...

Billboard Top Hip Hop/R&B songs & Singles Charts...

It doesn't??

seriously tho?
smh.gif

smh.gif

Billboard made a top 100 R&B songs of the decade, and surprise surprise... BOTH "Bed" & "Suffocate" appeared on the list...

laugh.gif
thats different from what you were saying originally saying, you adding stuff now...you said those two are among the best of the decade...being number #73 and #79 of the decade is something totally different...and so now you are saying its not just sales, its airplay as well? i'm done trying to see what you are trying to get at now cause everything you are saying has nothing at all to do wit content, which i thought when you speak of Top anything, that was the #1 priority...

Unrelated to the current argument since I think the OP is off with this one (though his statement of "R&B debut top10 isnt too far off because there really isnt much competition), but damn, Alicia Keys murdered the charts this decade.

Devin the Dude is MOST DEFINITELY a better singer, song writer , performer all that than J. Holiday 
eyes.gif

Dude voice weaker than Trey...

It doesn't??

seriously tho?
smh.gif

smh.gif

laugh.gif
thats different from what you were saying originally saying, you adding stuff now...you said those two are among the best of the decade...being number #73 and #79 of the decade is something totally different...and so now you are saying its not just sales, its airplay as well? i'm done trying to see what you are trying to get at now cause everything you are saying has nothing at all to do wit content, which i thought when you speak of Top anything, that was the #1 priority...

You compared Massacre & Carter 3 to "Bed" & "Suffocate"...

A more appropriae comparison would've been "Candy Shop" & "Lollipop", instead of the ENTIRE album and their placement on the charts...

I would tell you to re-read the thread, but by your responses I'm pretty sure reading isn't too high on you're priority list (along with "making sense")

Both records were also in the 50s... Not sure where you got the #73 & #79... But then again reading OBVIOUSLY isn't one of your strong attributes...

I'm sayin the songs chart position is based on sales, radio airplay... (hope that isn't news to you or ANYone else)

It doesn't??

seriously tho?
smh.gif

smh.gif

laugh.gif

I would tell you to re-read the thread, but by your responses I'm pretty sure reading isn't too high on you're priority list (along with "making sense")

Both records were also in the 50s... Not sure where you got the #73 & #79... But then again reading OBVIOUSLY isn't one of your strong attributes...

I'm sayin the songs chart position is based on sales, radio airplay... (hope that isn't news to you or ANYone else)
it's funny you saying that when you obviously are the one with the deficiency, but not only reading, comprehension as well...i use your own logic, instead of applied to singles, to albums and you say i don't make sense ...
laugh.gif
....next, obviously when i listed those numbers that was sarcasm because i damn sure wasn't gonna waste my time looking for, then reading thru that list being as it is neither of those songs were going to appear near the top...but like i said ima leave it alone...obviously what i am saying is goin over your head which i can tell by most of your last two responses dealing with sales and numbers when i'm saying sales has nothing to do wit the content
laugh.gif
...this means i'm here and you are                                            over here...but once you tried to ridicule my lack of "reading" that's when i knew you had no other support for your baseless claims than "numbers"
smh.gif
but like i said before being in the 50's is not the same as being 2 of the best songs of the decade, you hurt your own case with that one

eyes.gif

but like i said before being in the 50's is not the same as being 2 of the best songs of the decade, you hurt your own case with that one
I did??...

Didn't know I was making a case for those 2 songs, according to Billboard Charts both records performance more than speak for themself...  

....next, obviously when i listed those numbers that was sarcasm because i damn sure wasn't gonna waste my time looking for, then reading thru that list being as it is neither of those songs were going to appear near the top...
Further proof reading isn't too high on your priority list... How much time does it take to go through 9 or 10 pages of songs with pictures of the arist next to them... Maybe 2 or 3 minutes... Judging by your response that's obviously a lil too much for you...

I never said either song was the BEST because it appeared on that list, I said they were both 2 of the BEST R&B records because they were... Then the guys and companies that get paid to track such data just reconfirmed my point...

laugh.gif
J. Holiday's first album was a wild dissapointment. Plus there was no real theme. It went from love making,being a thug, & then to black power.

Originally Posted by Quincy Powell

laugh.gif
J. Holiday's first album was a wild dissapointment. Plus there was no real theme. It went from love making,being a thug, & then to black power.

Is there somethin wrong with that??

laugh.gif
smh.gif
...I'm done...you right, I'm wrong...this guy here
smh.gif

Took long enuff for you to see it...

Back
Top Bottom