You know you live in the hood when....vol lemme git some kool aid on dat dere pickle

When someone pulls up to the house, everyone stops what their doing, looks out the window and ask, "Who is that?"

If you always lock the door behind you. Even if you're not at home.

If you've ever been walking down the street, a raggedy car pulls up on you, the driver stares at you, you stare back (or shake your head no), and said driver peels off.

Kool-Aid on a pickle???

Anywho... you know you grew up in (East) Flatbush when:

• you wouldn't mind taking dolla vans over the bus
  • you wouldn't hesitate to buy jerk chicken from a dude grilling on his stoop/porch/sidewalk
  • girls don't twerk, they wine & bubble
  • your just likely to buy top up as you are to buy a phone card
  • 8 key businesses: asian liquor store, arab corner store, black barbershop, korean beauty store, mexican/hispanic green grocer, chinese food store, black caribbean restaurants

This last part about the businesses is so incredibly accurate. Salute sir.
Also possibly an Italian owned pizza shop ran by Mexican folk. But I'm from the BX so this nigh vary

When someone pulls up to the house, everyone stops what their doing, looks out the window and ask, "Who is that?"

If you've ever been walking down the street, a raggedy car pulls up on you, the driver stares at you, you stare back (or shake your head no), and said driver peels off.
Ain't that the best time?

That's just common sense
laugh.gif
ESPECIALLY when you're not home.

When there's a check cashing place, chinese food place, bodega, barbershop, hair care and laundromat all within 5 mins of each other while walking.

Also possibly an Italian owned pizza shop ran by Mexican folk. But I'm from the BX so this nigh vary
Lotta Mexicans in NY now eh? Which borough got the biggest population?

It's like in CA, all the Yoshinoya's are run by Mexicans.

Last edited:

Lotta Mexicans in NY now eh? Which borough got the biggest population?
NOW? Bruh they been here for years along with everyone else. I just can't think of a neighborhood that's pretty much theirs though.

This ones for Cali. If you see a post office type truck with blasting Mexican horns (don't know how to type out the melody) all hours of the day and night that sell snacks, pastries and even fresh vegetables and fruit.

Ain't that the best time?

That's just common sense :lol: ESPECIALLY when you're not home.

When there's a check cashing place, chinese food place, bodega, barbershop, hair care and laundromat all within 5 mins of each other while walking.

Yall would be suprised how many people DONT practice this.

"You aint gotta lock doors around here..."

the guy on the bus tries to sell you weed that was already crushed on afive dollar bill

When even the schoolboys wore khakis and chucks or cortez not because it's become a fashion statement for LA gangsters, but because we couldn't afford nothing else. This is for the older generations.

papi got a dominoe table with flashing lights, like its club

Ya barber got a hookah next to his clipppers

babys having babys

pull-ups on the monkey bars.

I for one am ready to get all the businesses owned by people who only come to the hood to make money (Koreans and Arabs specifically) up out of there. Those communities would never let someone black just come in and build a corner store where they live, you'd be out of business in months. To me it's insanity that blacks have their own texture of hair and non-blacks own all the black focused hair supply stores.

I for one am ready to get all the businesses owned by people who only come to the hood to make money (Koreans and Arabs specifically) up out of there. Those communities would never let someone black just come in and build a corner store where they live, you'd be out of business in months. To me it's insanity that blacks have their own texture of hair and non-blacks own all the black focused hair supply stores.
What do you mean let? You can do whatever you want. You got the funds, the license, the lease, have at it. Take this racist rant to a race rant thread. It's none of nobodys business where business owners live. They can go wherever they want and set up shop and make money, after all that's what business is for, no? You sound like the cat that cries racism but does the same thing to others.

When you go to the liquor/restaurant pay with credit and they don't ask for id.

When cats let you pet them.

When all the girls are fleeked out with Avon.

When you and your friends can just chill outside and have fun watching everything going down.

When you learn more from the OG's on the block than at school/parents.

Last edited:

What do you mean let? You can do whatever you want. You got the funds, the license, the lease, have at it. Take this racist rant to a race rant thread. It's none of nobodys business where business owners live. They can go wherever they want and set up shop and make money, after all that's what business is for, no? You sound like the cat that cries racism but does the same thing to others.
Let, as in they wouldn't patronize that business if they know it's black owned in their area.  I have seen this firsthand, people in non-black communities support their own first and foremost and will get on your head for not doing  the same.  But with black folks we let everyone else take up shop in our neighborhoods and drain our money into theirs.  No disrespect but you're speaking on an issue you don't fully understand.

Coppin Freezing Cups from the candy lady.

View media item 1594449

Used to have me like

View media item 1594450

--when at least one of your people is locked up
--when someone in your immediate family is locked up
--when your Pops has extra kids you don't really consider your siblings
--when your grandma, aunt or uncle will smoke sum'n with you
--when your grandpa has a gold tooth in the front of his mouth
--when the baby sitter is tryna let you hit
--when you see a bunch of kids out and not one adult supervising
--when there's a family with a bunch of kids in like every damn grade from elementary to high school
--when the nicknames are so outlandish and weird, you don't bother to ask how they got them
--when folks have cars parked on the lawn and a lot of them don't run
--when you see pink houses
--when you hear guns going off on 4th of July or NYE
--when there are random dogs just living like they belong to the whole neighborhood

It's a mom and pop hood version

By my old school there was one called crown fried chicken

Back
Top Bottom