You Want Clutch?

T

trelvis tha thrilla

http://www.dallasbasketba...m/fullColumn.php?id=2891
I believe Dirk Nowitzki should be an MVP finalist for the umpteenth straight year. The UberMan is by far the best player on one of the NBA’s three most accomplished teams (finishing second in the West would be quite an accomplishment) … and if you believe “clutch’’ is a premier measurement of excellence …

Well, then maybe you believe Dirk Nowitzki should be the MVP winner.

At least that’s the view of one smart NBA media member who resides in … Utah.

David Locke covers the Utah Jazz for KJZZ in Salt Lake City. He knows his NBA. And he knows how to define “clutch’’ – by using Dirk numbers.

There are an assortment of storylines to tonight's Spurs-at-Mavs meeting (7 p.m. start at the AAC). But as Nowitzki readies for the 82nd and final game of this regular season, let's take a moment to appreciate his season-long-running storyline.

The UberMan is defining "clutch.

'
Notes Locke (using “clutch-situation’’ late-game/close-game stats as defined by Stats Inc thusly: [URL]http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM[/url] fourth quarter or overtime, less than five minutes left, neither team ahead by more than five points):

Free-Throwing "Clutch"

Dirk (62-of-64 97%) LeBron (74-of-91 81%) Kobe (46-of-55 84%) Durant (69-of-81 85%)

3-Point Shooting "Clutch"

Dirk (13-of-18 72%), LeBron (17-of-54 32%), Kobe (11-of-31 35%), Durant (10-of-31 32%)

Field-Goal Shooting "Clutch"

Dirk (64-of-137 47%), LeBron (68-of-147 46%), Kobe (48-of-111 43%), Durant (43-of-115 37%)

All of this, of course, is the primary reason the Mavs are 17-6 in games decided by five points or fewer. Carlisle designs it, Kidd triggers it, and Dirk? Dirk makes it – at a higher rate in each of the three departments – than LeBron, Kobe or Durant.

I know that all that will not be viewed by voters as enough to award Dirk Nowitzki with a bookend to his 2006-07 Most Valuable Player award. In fact, here are the ESPN columnists’ votes … and Nowitzki is a respectable honorable mention. 

I also am open to just how weighty “clutch’’ stats are and should be … and there is an excellent discussion of that here on DB.com Boards

But all things considered, Dirk is certainly in a class with any of the frequently mentioned candidates.

Low-key clutch.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

7f03393913e430497b1b510d1b4a0955-getty-90044432sf013_mavericks_blazers.jpg

I wish I could find a video of him telling the Portland crowd to sit down right after this.
dirk is one of my favorite players ever...i just think its funny how his hand gestures after hitting big 3's is never in question....dirk stays throwing gang signs
laugh.gif

Sadly he'll never win it all.

Dirk's the man though. For a 7 footer, that mid range and 3 point shooting is MONEY.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Sadly he'll never win it all.
I dont think you can say that yet. He still has a couple good years to try and lead a team to the Championship. Plus, his game ages nicely. He could play well into his late 30's/early 40's and just be one of those veterans they have to knock down shots off the bench. I dont know if he would accept a role like that, but his game would allow him to if he wanted.

Originally Posted by topherr

he is covered by the clouds we call kobe, lebron, and KD.

Your avy distracts me from this thread...and other threads I see you in. Chayse Evans
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

i'm not surprised at all....

Neither am I.  Dirk is very clutch.  Just won't win an MVP anytime soon because of Bron, Mamba, and KD he's White.

In an era where Nash has won 2 and Dirk has won 1? Really? Not to mention the award is voted on by mostly white dudes. If he's not getting the award, it's because they don't think he is the guy.

Early 40s? I know Dirk's game isnt really explosive and all, but i dont think his body would be able to take that. he's been in the league for quite a while already, plus i assume he's attending the 2012 olympics?

Thats a huge toll. and i cant imagine Dirk taking a bench role. That man has too much pride to do that, although he is a really loyal dude.

Early 40s? I know Dirk's game isnt really explosive and all, but i dont think his body would be able to take that. he's been in the league for quite a while already, plus i assume he's attending the 2012 olympics?

Thats a huge toll. and i cant imagine Dirk taking a bench role. That man has too much pride to do that, although he is a really loyal dude.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

After getting knocked out in the first round after winning, he'll never be voted for again
It has nothing at all to do with that. It has to do more so with the fact that the Mavs haven't won the West since then and other players such as LeBron and Kobe have had much better seasons than Dirk.

Back
Top Bottom