Your Gov't installing GPS devices to track where YOU travel. It's coming...

3,668
11
Joined Oct 5, 2007
[h1]Administration: Highway fund to go broke in August[/h1] Featured Topics:
AP - Motorcyclists to take on the stretch of re-opened California Highway 2 near Wrightwood, Calif., in the …


By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer Joan Lowy, Associated Press Writer - Tue Jun 2, 3:56 pm ET

WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is warning lawmakers that the trust fund that pays for highway construction will go broke in August unless Congress approves an infusion of as much as $7 billion.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said at a hearing Tuesday that the administration has told senators the Federal Highway Trust Fund will need an estimated $5 billion to $7 billion to keep current construction projects going.

The California Democrat said another $8 billion to $10 billion will be needed to keep the fund solvent through the year ending Sept. 30, 2010.

Transportation Department spokeswoman Jill Zuckman confirmed those figures.

"The administration is working closely with Congress to solve this difficult problem and ensure that states have the resources they need to maintain our roads and highways," Zuckman said.

A decline in driving that began in late 2007 has reduced federal gas tax revenue, the primary source of trust fund dollars.

The trust fund is separate from the $48 billion in transportation projects included in the economic recovery law enacted by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama earlier this year.

Congress approved an emergency transfer of $8 billion in general treasury dollars last fall to make up a projected shortfall - the first time in the program's history that had happened. The fund dates back to creation of the federal interstate highway program in 1956.

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, said it's clear that Congress must raise the federal gas tax, which is now 18.4 cents per gallon.

"I know that doesn't go down so well with some folks," but it's "the reality of the situation," Voinovich said at the hearing, which was on Obama's nomination of former Arizona highways director Victor Mendez to head the Federal Highway Administration.

"That will be one of my highest priorities, to get on that very quickly," Mendez said of the trust fund.

The law that authorizes federal highway programs is due to expire at the end of September, but the issue hasn't been on Congress' front burner. There is a consensus among transportation experts and lawmakers that there will have to be some form of a tax increase - always unpopular, but especially so in a recession - to make up for the lower gas tax revenues and to address a backlog of crumbling and congested highways, bridges and public transit systems.

Two congressionally mandated commissions have called for an immediate increase in the gas tax. The first commission, which issued its report in early 2008, recommended a 40-cent per gallon hike. The second panel, which issued its report earlier this year, recommended the tax be increased 10 cents per gallon for gas and 15 cents per gallon for diesel, and that both be indexed to inflation.

The two panels also said fuel taxes are not a sustainable source of revenue over the long term as drivers shift to more fuel efficient vehicles. Both panels recommended Congress find a new revenue source to pay for highway and transit programs.

Their top recommendation was to tax motorists based on how many miles they drive. That would require equipping cars and trucks with devices that use GPS technology to record not only how many miles the vehicle was driven, but whether the driving occurred on interstate highways or secondary roads and whether it was during peak travel periods. The device would calculate the amount of tax owed and the bill could be downloaded.

A mileage-based tax system would take about 10 years to implement.



Individual rights being taken away on a weekly bases. First they tell the kind of cars you are going to drive, then they are going to know where you drive andon top of it TAX you for it. Orwell is looking like a prophet right now.

Reconfigure the With-holdings so it looks like a "Tax-cut for 95% of Americans" and tax them other places. Genius, Obama is a genius.
 
1,987
10
Joined May 3, 2009
Why are you blaming this on Obama? "Congressionally mandated commissions"

I don't know why yall have so much against the man.

But yea, this is terrible. We're headed in a direction I'm not exactly excited for.
 
1,386
10
Joined May 9, 2009
Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

Why are you blaming this on Obama? "Congressionally mandated commissions"

I don't know why yall have so much against the man.

But yea, this is terrible. We're headed in a direction I'm not exactly excited for.
come on now ... obama has the power to veto anyand everything ... he simply wont because he is a puppet to pelosi and the rest of those congressional baffoons ... its like saying the mother isnt responsiblefor a teenagers alcohol poisoning that took place in her own house because she didnt buy the alcohol ...
 
3,668
11
Joined Oct 5, 2007
Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

You are one of the most paranoid people out there. Anti-this anti-that


Just chill dude...

I'm paranoid? I'm sorry I love having Individual rights and Gov't is threatening to take them away.
 
1,987
10
Joined May 3, 2009
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

come on now ... obama has the power to veto any and everything ... he simply wont because he is a puppet to pelosi and the rest of those congressional baffoons ... its like saying the mother isnt responsible for a teenagers alcohol poisoning that took place in her own house because she didnt buy the alcohol ...
A brilliant analogy. And yet even with your logic, yall are content blaming the puppet opposed to the puppet master?


Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy
A+ execution
 

tmukg21

Banned
4,017
10
Joined Apr 23, 2008
Originally Posted by Mangudai954

There's no way this thing could pass....no way...
I heard Congress didn't pass those GM/Chrysler bailout packages....way to have a backbone Congress
 
3,668
11
Joined Oct 5, 2007
Originally Posted by Mangudai954

There's no way this thing could pass....no way...

Hey why not? They passed $800 Billion dollars without reading the bill.
 
31,482
1,911
Joined Sep 16, 2003
Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

There's no way this thing could pass....no way...

Hey why not? They passed $800 Billion dollars without reading the bill.

True, didn't they just throw a number out too? Had to be big. This is crazy though. I still don't see this standing people will go crazy
 
87,731
27,820
Joined May 31, 2004
i really dont care. if they wanna track me from work, to home, to the gym, to the bars...whatever. i got nothing to hide
 
10,489
223
Joined May 2, 2001
Proposal =/= law

they proposed this in CA in 2004 and it got spanked b/c of the privacy concerns.
 
3,668
11
Joined Oct 5, 2007
Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Proposal =/= law

they proposed this in CA in 2004 and it got spanked b/c of the privacy concerns.

I'm sure the Gov't will create some sort "Crisis Situation" to push this through, just look what they did to the car industry. "Too bigtoo fail", huh? "It had to be done!". Look how that worked out.
 
11,821
6,421
Joined Dec 11, 2007
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

StarkyL0ve wrote:
[hr][/hr]
Why are you blaming this on Obama? "Congressionally mandated commissions"




I don't know why yall have so much against the man.




But yea, this is terrible. We're headed in a direction I'm not exactly excited for.


come on now ... obama has the power to veto any
and everything ... he simply wont because he is a puppet to pelosi and the rest of those congressional baffoons ... its like saying the mother isnt responsible
for a teenagers alcohol poisoning that took place in her own house because she didnt buy the alcohol ...







obama is actually a puppet to the international bankers, the special interest groups and the military industrial complex.
basically obama is just following orders from his masters, but that still doesn't mean he should be able to shed SOME blame.

we see that jfk was made an example of for attempting to go against the grain. that demonstration pretty much ensured that all the following puppets (oops, imean presidents) would do what they are told.

the seat of the presidency is nothing more than a puppet post. it is a diversion so that when things don't turn out the way they were promised to the ppl,the ppl will all direct their anger towards the president, as opposed to directing the anger where it should go.

this way, regardless of who sits in the president's seat, the same satanist tyrants are always still in control, pulling the strings from behind thescenes.
 
911
10
Joined Mar 19, 2009
Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

come on now ... obama has the power to veto any and everything ... he simply wont because he is a puppet to pelosi and the rest of those congressional baffoons ... its like saying the mother isnt responsible for a teenagers alcohol poisoning that took place in her own house because she didnt buy the alcohol ...
A brilliant analogy. And yet even with your logic, yall are content blaming the puppet opposed to the puppet master?
Yes, because Obama ALLOWS himself to be a puppet. He has the power to stop the madness, but he won't, because he is no different then thepeople pulling his strings.
 
911
10
Joined Mar 19, 2009
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

i really dont care. if they wanna track me from work, to home, to the gym, to the bars...whatever. i got nothing to hide
They aren't just tracking where you're going, THEY WANT TO TAX YOU FOR IT. Obama and his liberal dem buddies want you to PAY THEM for your drive tothe gym, and to work, and home...They want you to pay them when you put gas in your car, then they want you to pay them some more when you drive the same careyou just paid to fill up.
 
4,994
9,891
Joined Jun 28, 2004
Even by the standards of an article about the Democrats in Congress want to do, this article is jam packed withinfamous quotables.

"Sen. Barbara Boxer, chairman of the SenateEnvironment and Public Works Committee, said at a hearing Tuesday that the administration has toldsenators the Federal Highway Trust Fund will need an estimated $5 billion to $7 billion to keep currentconstruction projects going."

What about all of that stimulus money? If you are willing to blow 10's of billions on car companies that still go bankrupt, hundreds of billions to pay offyour campaign contributors on Wall Street and close to another trillion to stimulate the coffers of unions and to play Santa for every Democratic pet projectand trillions in debt over the next few years, you cannot spare a measly 5 billion in order to keep road construction on schedule?

This really shows where Democrats' priorities are, normal people use roads, their benefits are dispersed so it does not have a cohesive advocacy group inthe way unions and other favored political classes do, so while the government borrows and taxes and prints to pay for all sorts of goodies for theconnected,they are threatening us with a freeze on all federal highway projects if we do not cough up a huge gas tax hike.


" The trust fund is separate from the $48 billion in transportation projects included in the economic recovery law enacted by Congress and signed byPresident Barack Obama earlier this year.

Congress approved an emergency transfer of $8 billion in general treasury dollars last fall to make up aprojected shortfall - the first time in the program's history that had happened. The fund dates back to creation of the federal interstate highway programin 1956 "

They we go, transfer some more money, it is has not exactly been treated like something scarce in Washington, especially not in the last few months. Thishighway trust fund should be abolished and all high way construction should be part of the general budget. But then there would not the fig leaf needed toraise the gas tax.


"A decline in driving that began in late 2007 has reduced federal gas tax revenue, the primarysource of trust fund dollars."

I thought that gas taxes were meant to save the planet by reducing carbon emissions, just like the demand that cars be more fuel efficient. Both ideas havebeen in vogue among voters on the left but it looks like politicians do not care about saving the planet, they want more tax revenues. They need even moremoney so they can dole it out in ways that will help them politically. It looks like saving the planet is another fig leaf used by politicians and whenactually reducing pollution cost them money, then the planet can wait. Wall Street has some greedy people but the ends of Pennsylvania avenue out shine allwhen it comes to avariciousness.

All of you guys who place a very high value on reducing pollution and maintaining as clean of an environment as possible should not always assume that theanswer lies in left wing government. Remember that the Soviet Union and it Satellite States had deplorable pollution, the more things are owned and controlledby the state the less regard there is for this common property and the poorer government meddling makes people, the less regard there is for cleanliness in theenvironment.

In a better World we would have very low taxes and citizens who are concerned about the environment, would spend some of their income that they kept because oflow taxes and have it go to foundations that would be flush with cash (periods of economic growth and very low taxation like the late 19th century in the USled to a great deal of philanthropy on every front, vast sums of money went into parks, museums, humanitarian aid and almost every form of benevolence thatexisted at the time and this was in an America that was much poorer than it is today). Those now deep pocket pro environmental institutions could go out into aworld with well defined property rights and do a great deal of Coasianhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coasian_bargainingBargaining in the US and elsewhere and actually do an effective job of limiting pollution at a lower overall cost, in amethod that is harmonized with economic efficiency and in a way that would be allowed to continue year after year and not be stopped because it was reducingthe tax yields of Congressmen.


" recommended the tax be increased 10 cents per gallon for gas and 15 cents per gallon for diesel,and that both be indexed to inflation."

I wonder if the government would be willing to do inflation indexing when it defines marginal tax rates. I would not count on it. Governments are piggish, theyare greedy and they satisfy their greed by tricking and coercing people, they get a way with it by pitting groups against each other in a divide and conquerstrategy that is filling their coffers with more a bigger and bigger share of the productive efforts and fruits of the labor of all Americans.

Only when they have regressive tax, would they index it for inflation, but a progressive tax, forget about it, at least here in the US right now.


"Their top recommendation was to tax motorists based on how many miles they drive. That wouldrequire equipping cars and trucks with devices that use GPS technology to record not only how many miles the vehicle was driven, but whether the drivingoccurred on interstate highways or secondary roads and whether it was during peak travel periods. The device would calculate the amount of tax owed and thebill could be downloaded."

So how will the pro tax, pro Obama pro every thing the Democrats do crowd defend this one, especially after they were all directed by Nancy Pelosi and KeithOlbermann et al. to be outraged over wire tapping of phones calls and after eight years of criticizing the Patriot Act. I am not fan of the Patriot Act myselfbut if you say you dislike the Patriot act as amatter of privacy rights, how on Earth will it be that this acceptable.

I am sure that someone will find clever way to justify this inconsist line of "reasoning." I am sure that Keith Olbermann will have some smug, lameretort and he'll stare into the camera like "damn I'm good" and then it will crumble out his paper as the commercials come on the scene.

As the cherry on top of this steaming excrament sundae, GE will, on every commercial on MSNBC, run adds for "automagination" which will be like theirecomagination and healthymagination products, which are not really meant to please consumers but are what GE expects the Government to buy up at some very highprice at the cost of billions and billions of dollars, because GE used its media outlets to help Obama and the Dems get so much power.

General Electric is on the cutting edge of this emerging Fascism (the use of this term is not hyperbole or dramatic license,the relationship between GE, BigAuto and the major health care firms is the textbook definition of economic policies of Fascism) and will have the dubious distinction of building some of thefiendish, big-brother-is-watching device that will be icon of this dark period in our history. Our friends on the far left spent years decrying the corporatemedia" and telling us how the news could be manipulated for the benefit of the parents company, well it is happening but few on the left seem upset, atleast for now.




Cliff Notes:

- Government wants to raise taxes on everybody even if you behavior in the "right" way, like drivin gless and using less gasoline.
- Taxes on Gallons of gasoline or miles driven will be an inherantly regressive tax, the less you make generally the bigger bite it will take from your income.
-Government officially wants to spy on us and know where and when we drive at all times.
-General Electric, the American Equivalent of IBM in the 1930's Germany is likely to supply the technology, for which Obama and his friends will overpay sothe exectives at GE, parent company of NBC and CNBC and MSNBC, can further enrich themselves at our expense.
-Corruption will be a part of every government but in the last year and in the last few weeks the corruption has been expanding at an alarming pace.
 
3,251
10
Joined May 4, 2009
TOO BAD ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE STARTIN TO SEE THE TRUTH


AND ALL THAT ENEGRY GOING AT THE PRESIDENT

IS HEADING TO THE SOURCE

ITS LIKE A VIRUS

YOU CAN STOP IT BUT ITS GOING TO FIND A WAY TO EVOLVE & GET YOU ...


THEY LOSING POWER DAY BY DAY ....THEY SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK YALL
 
1,107
103
Joined Mar 3, 2004
Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Proposal =/= law

they proposed this in CA in 2004 and it got spanked b/c of the privacy concerns.

I'm sure the Gov't will create some sort "Crisis Situation" to push this through, just look what they did to the car industry. "Too big too fail", huh? "It had to be done!". Look how that worked out.

fede i agree with you on them creating a crisis. well hey its change everyone wanted. freedom to socialism.
 
3,668
11
Joined Oct 5, 2007
elgrenas wrote:

fede i agree with you on them creating a crisis. well hey its change everyone wanted. freedom to socialism.



People didn't know what they were voting for. I said in the election thread the "Majority of the base of the Obama voters are uneducated." and Iwas called a "Racist" for it. You think average Americans know what is going on? Hell naw.


You have a State Run Media outlets that will NEVER report this stuff because they want Gov't contracts.
 
911
10
Joined Mar 19, 2009
Originally Posted by Rexanglorum


What about all of that stimulus money? If you are willing to blow 10's of billions on car companies that still go bankrupt, hundreds of billions to pay off your campaign contributors on Wall Street and close to another trillion to stimulate the coffers of unions and to play Santa for every Democratic pet project and trillions in debt over the next few years, you cannot spare a measly 5 billion in order to keep road construction on schedule?
Excellent point. This administration and congress BLEW THROUGH $1.2 TRILLION in less than a 2 months without even blinking, now all of a sudden we can'tspend a measely 5 billion to avoid adding yet another burden on the taxpayers.
 
30,820
5,553
Joined Aug 2, 2008
Obama a puppet to Pelosi is kind of funny. Now if you said that they are both controlled by a higher puppeteer it would be an honest idea.


We have lost many bigger rights before..(check to see if your phone has been tapped, probably has, like everyone else.)

I am against the GPS thing because I know it won't pass and the government won't have the time to care.. Fede new cars have GPS in them, you do knowthe gov. can track you through that so whats your plan.. Also you do know they can track you if your cell phone has been used, and if it is on too. Hurry turnit off.

It won't pass and if they use the crisis situation guess who will vote for it also REPUBLICANS.. Because no way 60 democrats in senate vote for this. I amnot convinced 20 democrats in Senate will vote for this.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now