"You're a well spoken guy"

Is this a compliment? What exactly does it mean to be well-spoken? Does that mean that I enunciate all my words? Does that mean that I have a clear speaking voice? 
NTrs weigh in.

well spoken to means having a pretty big vocabulary and knowing when to use the right words. just look at guys like bill gates and steve jobs. study how they talk. those people saying youre well spoken think of you as someone well educated.

I've always hated English because of stupid stuff like this. "You're such a good writer, you're such well spoken."

No, my writing is above average at best. I feel like it's an insult because when I open my mouth, as a black man, people expect slang and ebonics to pour out with the force of the Mississippi River.

What does "yns" mean?
laugh.gif

See it everyday.

Originally Posted by soltheman

I've always hated English because of stupid stuff like this. "You're such a good writer, you're such well spoken."

No, my writing is above average at best. I feel like it's an insult because when I open my mouth, as a black man, people expect slang and ebonics to pour out with the force of the Mississippi River.
Yea, thats kind of how I see it. I too, am a black male. So, it's kind of a bittersweet type thing when I hear it.

It probably translates to

"Wow one of you people actually know correct English. I never thought I would see the day."

So I don't know if it is good or bad.

Almost as much as an insult whenever someone uses the term, "Educated Black Person"

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Yea, thats kind of how I see it. I too, am a black male. So, it's kind of a bittersweet type thing when I hear it.
Exactly.

Is this supposed to be a racial topic because I am white and have had that phrase told to me also.

I think it also depends on how old you are. If you are 16 or something I would take it as a compliment. If you are 30, it could be an insult.

people didn't quite put it like that..i got the ignorant: why do you speak like a white person?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
@ being a minor and having to dumb down my vernacular in certain situations.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Is this supposed to be a racial topic because I am white and have had that phrase told to me also.

I think it also depends on how old you are. If you are 16 or something I would take it as a compliment. If you are 30, it could be an insult.

i'm guessing it's only a compliment if you're any other race other than black? 
eyes.gif
 otherwise it's seen as a sign of racism. 
grin.gif

Some of you act like its a bad thing to speak properly so people can understand you more clearly.

I take it as a compliment.... even though it's usually sent as a snide observation about racial expectations. I mean, I DO speak in the vernacular of my streets under most circumstances, but I can turn down the jargon and turn up the standardized English game when need be. MOST people can't. They never have to or feel they should. So yeah, compliment me when you notice that I can. I don't mind..
Some of you act like its a bad thing to speak properly so people can understand you more clearly.
  • MOST of ya'll act like it's that hard to learn a new phrase or word on the fly
  • MOST of ya'll act like its a bad thing to speak in a relaxed, familiar lingo..
  • MOST of ya'll act like words aren't just made up sounds wit ascribed meanings anyway.
  • MOST of ya'll don't even speak properly. Ya'll juSt speak common English.
  • MOIST IMPORTANTLY, MOST of ya'll would understand perfectly fine the %*+! that people say if it wasn't "cool"  to be facetious online

Obviously you're not speaking from experience.

Thats how i feel about it. Its like people are surprised and expect less from me because im black. Not saying that their racist its just small beliefs on their part i guess.

To anybody else around my age tho if I'm kind and quiet around them they see me as being an "Oreo"
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom