YUKU UNAPPRECATION

MPLS612

formerly ame416
Jeez
30t6p3b.gif

It's been like on and off all day today. *@!@%+# piece of %++!
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

stop that devil talk. Yuku has been nothing but good to you ever since we moved.
Ungrateful people
30t6p3b.gif

Yeah, they're screwing with the servers again. Their goal is to improve efficiency, but they're putting us through a lot of frustration in the process.

If you think this is bad, try screening/processing ~400 new user applications when every other page load fails. Trust me, the staff feels your pain.

If we keep having problems and problems over and over again...why not make a change?...it seems like for the past 2 year Niketalk staff has just been making excuses saying "the only reason its not loading, or we keep getting blank pages its for improvement etc etc" but i have yet to see any great changes to improve this website...browsing wise

If we keep having problems and problems over and over again...why not make a change?...it seems like for the past 2 year Niketalk staff has just been making excuses saying "the only reason its not loading, or we keep getting blank pages its for improvement etc etc" but i have yet to see any great changes to improve this website...browsing wise
Easier said than done.  First of all, it's going to cost you thousands of dollars and, second, you're going to lose the entire user database.  IF posts can be migrated over, odds are you'll have formatting issues and you're looking at a patchwork solution.  So, basically, you're starting from scratch.  
Nobody's more frustrated by the poor performance than I am, but switching platforms is a very difficult and costly process.  If you valued the community as much as we do, you'd be very protective of it, too.  I won't rule out a move, but the barriers are significant enough that we've been willing to exercise patience.  

Yuku as a network has changed owners twice in the past 12 months.  To the end user, the cumulative effects of Yuku's mismanagement build up to the point where we can go 5-6 months without incident, but the second ANYTHING goes wrong people will blame Yuku for it, in the same way that conservatives would blame the president for bad weather.  Earlier this year, Yuku made the move from an outdated colo facility to Amazon EC2 cloud hosting and, once completed, that transition effectively solved the "time traveling" (server lag) issue and dramatically improved load times.  

When a new owner buys a sports team, usually the first thing that happens is that he or she will try to clean house, bring in their own management team, and make changes.  Last month, Yuku was sold and the new owners are making changes to try and streamline the hosting configuration to make it more efficient (read: cost effective.)  I'm not thrilled with it, but they've inherited a lot of problems and we'll give them a chance to show and prove before making a rash decision about the future of the community we care so much about. 

How many total users does NikeTalk have now Method Man?

As of this moment, 84,764.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
i do not enjoy the whitescreen

Neither do I.  It's horrendous.  That's basically a failed page load.  You're seeing the page without CSS applied.  

The systems admin is aware of the problem and they've told me they're working on it.  

Been MAAAAAD frustrated with the board today... but I wish y'all could have the same patience towards the issue and confidence in Meth that I do.

But you most likely don't have that confidence, because you're not on staff, which is why I wanted to reply. Whenever there's a problem on here, I can assure you, Meth has already taken steps towards resolving that issue with our servers, and he was most likely already on it weeks before you were even aware of the issue.

Me? I just roam around, warn a few people, lock some threads, ban a couple people here and there... but his contribution is a lot more involving and exhausting, and over the years, I've definitely developed a sense of confidence that he's 'on it' whenever NT has an issue for a day, or even a few hours.

Just wanted to throw that out there to anyone who might read this, even if you don't respond. For the price we're paying to enjoy this place (and yes, of course us staff still enjoy the hell out of this place), I hope you have some sense of confidence in Meth ALONG WITH your frustration with whatever server we may be with at any given time.

Method Man wrote:

lord. i don't know if it's been brought up, but another forum i admin at has an autoprune feature, where after 'x' amount of time, the username is deactivated for non-use. i don't know if that'd help with any issues, or with a potential move to another service in terms of migrating the user database.
i mention it because i went about 2-3 years between posting once and all my previous information was intact. so unless something's changed in regards to that, this is just throwing ideas out there.

Yea I figured something was going on, not one page has loaded on my iPhone for the past 4 days.

As long as Method Man keeps us updated I can stay patient.

Originally Posted by swishasweets

Yea I figured something was going on, not one page has loaded on my iPhone for the past 4 days.

ok good. i thought it was just me. i was gonna return my damn iphone.

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

Method Man wrote:

lord. i don't know if it's been brought up, but another forum i admin at has an autoprune feature, where after 'x' amount of time, the username is deactivated for non-use. i don't know if that'd help with any issues, or with a potential move to another service in terms of migrating the user database.
i mention it because i went about 2-3 years between posting once and all my previous information was intact. so unless something's changed in regards to that, this is just throwing ideas out there.

Basically if your account isn't used daily or monthly you'll get it revoked or deleted?
I mean, just 'cause some users don't check in everyday doesn't mean they mean less to Nike Talk as opposed to those who post every day.

nah, it's on a 3 year window. so if you haven't logged in since Oct. 2, 2008, your acct. would be deleted today.

people develop other interests, or start families or whatever so when we have to do a backup or migrate to a new host, it's less hassle.

Back
Top Bottom