Zion Joins Jordan Brand

https://news.nike.com/news/zion-williamson-jordan-brand

Zion Williamson, who grew up in Florence, South Carolina, was selected first overall in the 2019 NBA Draft. Joining a family of 50-plus athletes across multiple sports, the incoming professional is the latest member of Jordan Brand's hardwood roster.

“I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of the Jordan Brand family," says Williamson. "Since I was a kid, I dreamed of making it to the league and having the type of impact on the game Michael Jordan had and continues to have today. He was one of those special athletes I looked up to, and I really can’t express how happy and excited I am for this journey.”

Williamson's addition caps a summer full of new talent joining Jordan Brand, including Jayson Tatum, Rui Hachimura, WNBA players Asia Durr and Kia Nurse and NFL rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins.

“We’re excited to welcome Zion to the Jordan Brand,” says Craig Williams, Jordan Brand President. "It’s incredible to watch him play the game with unbridled passion and joy and we look forward to building our relationship with him for many years to come.”

Here’s what Michael Jordan and Howard White, VP Jordan Brand Affairs, have to say about Zion:

“Zion’s incredible determination, character and play are inspiring," says Jordan. "He’s an essential part of the new talent that will help lead the brand into the future. He told us he would ‘shock the world,’ and asked us to believe him. We do."

“Over the last 34 years we’ve built an incredible roster of talent with the same determination and greatness as MJ," adds White. "There is something special about Zion that reminds me of MJ when he was younger."

Surprised he didn’t sign with Nike Basketball instead of JB. No matter how good at basketball you are, MJ and his accomplishments will always be the most attractive thing about JB.

Agreed, move makes 0 sense, sign with Nike, create your own brand/legacy, you never topping MJ"s legacy when you on JB. Air Zion 1's sound way cooler than Jordan Shootaround Zion 1's.

Agreed, move makes 0 sense, sign with Nike, create your own brand/legacy, you never topping MJ"s legacy when you on JB. Air Zion 1's sound way cooler than Jordan Shootaround Zion 1's.

I was thinking the other day how Nike has a lot of basketball signatures for basketball sneakers not being in high demand.

PG, Kyrie, Giannis, KD, Lebron and they still throw Kobe's out there

All of JB's athletes are at least 30. Melo's gone and CP3 is on his way out.

tenor.gif

Didn’t expect this. I think the biggest get in their new signees in terms of potential for a signature within the Jordan brand is Jayson Tatum. Time will tell though.

JS”

Hopefully the designer that did the Why Not 2s does the design for his model if (when) they give him one. I definitely thinking Nike proper is the better move but congrats to him regardless.

Jordan Brand has had well performing signature and team performing shoes but they have never been able to find an athlete that could rival the popularity of a Kobe, KD or Lebron much less the man responsible for the Brand.

Really interested in what they do here. They need to go all in with his own model and not just make him wear the next sig.

Jb failed its stars for the most part. Cp and Melo had one good shoe. Wade has trash his whole career until the last shoe. Russ joints are decent.

Jb is basically the Simpsons. Iconic in the 90s, trash ever since.

Really interested in what they do here. They need to go all in with his own model and not just make him wear the next sig.

I think I read somewhere that they were going to put more effort in to the 34 and it wasn't going to follow the number theme they've been doing since the 31.

Signing Zion and Tatum maybe is proof.

I wouldn't mind gold and white with some red (Pelican colors) 11 highs. I'll reserve judgment on Zion's signature kicks, the track record for other Jordan athletes is NOT good however.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day how Nike has a lot of basketball signatures for basketball sneakers not being in high demand.

PG, Kyrie, Giannis, KD, Lebron and they still throw Kobe's out there

All of JB's athletes are at least 30. Melo's gone and CP3 is on his way out.

Jb failed its stars for the most part. Cp and Melo had one good shoe. Wade has trash his whole career until the last shoe. Russ joints are decent.

Jb is basically the Simpsons. Iconic in the 90s, trash ever since.

JB also somehow had arguably the best player in the league currently (Kawhi) and basically did absolutely nothing with him. I get he was never going to be as marketable as LeBron but they could have done more with him than simply releasing a pair of super limited AJ 1 mids and calling it a day.

Back
Top Bottom