Season's done.. At least we didn't get into the December with the season still on the line.
What we have left..
Maybe we squeak out 1 win versus Washington.. But don't see us beating the Packers.. Don't think we can come remotely close against the Jets defense to put up points, even if our defense holds. Bills likely score well against us...
So 4-12. That was Tied for 5th worst record last year.
1. Let Romo get healthy..
2. Cut Brandon Carr. Salary is too much for what he provides even if he has been much better. It's only $7.4mil of dead cap if we cut him, but we save $6.38mil if we cut him regardless of pre or post June 1st.
3. Make Ron Leary a RFA. If no big offers for him keep him. If he gets an offer, let him go, and get the compensation pick.
4. Jeff Heath same thing for RFA. He's a quality backup.
5. Re-sign Lance Dunbar. He's a quality 2nd RB and pass catching back.
6. Re-sign Rolando McClain.. Doubt his market is any good again, made another mistake that cost him 4 games.
7. Greg Hardy.. If he becomes a social pariah in FA, he's too good to not sign long term for far under market value. If he gets offered the money he is worth (as a football player), have to let him go.
8. Letting Carr go, means that you can re-sign Mo Claiborne who even though he was injured, had a good season. Would play great as a 3rd DB.
9. Mincey, Bernadeau, Hayden & Wilbur all depends on if they get no offers, and how we're looking going into or out of the draft.
What we need...
QB - We need to draft someone to take over for Romo.. Doesn't have to be a guy ready now...Doesn't even need to be early in the draft. Do the due diligence, look for the "it" guy. Just someone we're high on. Let him learn the ropes under Romo for a couple years.
RB - We need a # 1 RB. I really like Dunbar & McFadden as backups. This IS the biggest need out of everything. While they were not bad piecing it together. The problem is that there was nothing good enough to make defense change their game plan, and open things up for us on offense.
WR- I'm indifferent about, do not think we actually need anybody here.. I just believe that if you get the run game working, it takes pressure off Romo, and opens up the field for Dez & TWill.. But as always, if there is somebody who slips, or in the late rounds you pick them up.
TE & OLine is relatively fine... Not as good as they were last year, but still think they are good going forward, just need to have the right guys to block for. I.e. Guys who can make plays.
Defense - Through 11 weeks, we are actually a yard per game from 8th best total defense in the league. Ignoring the Panthers game, even though 14 of the points are not even on the defense, they are right in the middle of the league for PPG. This season has been a huge problem due to lack of ability to put the ball in the end zone, and extend drives. Not the defense.
HOWEVER, the pass rush needs work. And may not even be the guys on the field's fault. We continuously run 4 man rushes when that keeps getting broken down. It also gasses the guys rushing the passer if our offense can't stay out there.
DE- If Hardy is back, and I think it's a good possibility, just based on what I think the market ends up for Hardy, and I think he would even take a little less money to stay here than to go to say TB just because 1. He likes the spotlight.. and 2. He knows he gets away with far more **** than he does anywhere else. That probably will sit in the back of his mind.
If no Hardy, not a huge need because of Gregory & Lawrence. Would still like one more guy behind those two to rotate in, if Hardy is gone. But I think you can actually dumpster dive and find that guy, as opposed to drafting it.
DT - More important than DE in my opinion under either Hardy scenario. Apparently Crawford has played injured all season, and has impacted his effectiveness. Who knows whether that is true, or how much it has actually made a difference. Would like to get someone who is pass rush oriented to help TCraw get pressure up the middle.
LB core - Really need just backup guys. Don't need to put it high on the draft needs. Hitchens - McClain - Lee if all on the field is very versatile.. Biggest thing is IF all on the field.
DB - Need a # 2 DB. Scandrick was a huge hit to us. I think Claiborne is good enough and has shown enough improvement to be a really good #3 on depth DB.
Move Byron Jones into a Safety Slot over the TEs because he's a damn monster on that.
Safety - Byron and bring back either Church or Wilcox. Don't care for either, but would be fine opposite of Byron with Heath as backup.
KR / PR - You either let Lucky Whithead try to be a KR/PR or you draft one. Because Cole Beasley being out there was horrendous, and think it's a decent contributor to our lack of offense. Because time after time he couldn't get the PR anywhere, and was sticking us inside the 20 to start drives.
RB, DB, QB, DT... Those are 4 things WE MUST draft. Can't get around it.
Edited by Essential1 - 11/26/15 at 6:25pm