♔ ~~~~| Celebrites Rockin Heat (fly gear/Fly kicks) VOL. 3 | ~~~~ ♔

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't doubt kanye's artistic abilities, I'm actually really eager to see his designs for Adidas since he's been on his "I'm Walt Disney" soapbox and I'm cheering for him to succeed from a fan perspective...but Nike runs the sneaker world and always will. Kanye might have the designs and the fashion insight that he claims people want but it's the marketing aspect that gonna have him saying "if you can't beat them, join them"
while i agree nike is a giant, it only runs american sports. though they are establishing themselves with certain soccer teams overseas now but 

adidas and puma are still huge in europe 

nobody is rocking leather shirts because of papoose tho... :lol:

you're not a ye fan, so i get it. you're gonna down play his influence. i just find it funny how the kanye haters, in one breath clown the fact that so many people dress like kanye these days, but in the next, in an attempt to slate kanye, try to imply he's not that influential.

i remember seeing pharrell was wearing slimmer clothes back in the day, b4 everyone else, cuz he was a skater... but it wasn't him that really made hip hop culture jump on it. it wasn't him everyone was calling ayo for skinny jeans initially (only to end up rocking them later), it was kanye.

regardless of me being a fan of the dude, it's true, kanye has been the most influential person in hip hop culture (and beyond), in terms of fashion, for the last 6 years.

more so than pharrell, papoose (lol), or anyone else you wanna mention. that's why it's more nike's L to take in the break up, because he's not just another eminem, or an artist that just simply got a dunk (doom, nerd, etc)... he was the FIRST non athlete to have his very own nike shoe, and even had the majority of design input on it.

like pharrell, i think ye realized he needs a big name behind him to make it work best, cuz even pharrell had bape behind him (was actually reebok originally)...

oh, and btw, nobody is saying nike NEEDS mr. west... not me at least... they'll be just fine. i'm just saying, the profits to be made off of him far outweigh the lil' bit of royalties they woulda had to cough up. financially doesn't make sense (and I'm sure he's offended cuz they prolly always give athletes their royalties).

nike prolly doubted his potential and influence, and thought anything ye related had to be limited to do well (cuz they prolly thought the hype would be bigger if it was limited, which ultimately is better for the brand, so they wanted to just keep him in this little box, just to help add hype to their brand, and that's it), but i think he's about to prove otherwise with adidas.

all nike had to do was give him his own little line within NSW, or something, and give him his royalties, and at least give it a shot...

kanye confirmed tho, that they offered him what he wanted finally, at the end, which was all the creative freedom, and larger quantities, but they wouldn't cough up royalties, and adidas did... so he went there.

makes sense.

he wins in this break up, cuz he gets his royalties, gets to walk away from nike with a much bigger and better reputation from the success of the yeezy 1 and 2, so he used them just like they used him... but the major L nike takes is, now he's going to their only true competitor, to make them the money instead, and most likely pull away some die hard nike fans that never considered wearing adidas b4 (and that will potentially hurt the worst)... All of the sudden adidas will be a little bit cooler in the street wear and hip hop scene, and that sucks for nike, cuz they obviously put a lot of stock and advertising in the street wear market.

cats acting like ye went to sketchers or something, and he screwed up so bad by leaving nike... :lol:

adidas are HUGE, especially in the soccer world, which is way bigger globally than any US sport... as said earlier, if big sean and 2 chainz can sell out an adidas shoe, what do you think is gonna happen with ye's joints?

Last edited:
nobody is rocking leather shirts because of papoose tho... :lol:

you're not a ye fan, so i get it. you're gonna down play his influence. i just find it funny how the kanye haters, in one breath clown the fact that so many people dress like kanye these days, but in the next, in an attempt to slate kanye, try to imply he's not that influential.

i remember seeing pharrell was wearing slimmer clothes back in the day, b4 everyone else, cuz he was a skater... but it wasn't him that really made hip hop culture jump on it. it wasn't him everyone was calling ayo for skinny jeans initially (only to end up rocking them later), it was kanye.

regardless of me being a fan of the dude, it's true, kanye has been the most influential person in hip hop culture (and beyond), in terms of fashion, for the last 6 years.

more so than pharrell, papoose (lol), or anyone else you wanna mention. that's why it's more nike's L to take in the break up, because he's not just another eminem, or an artist that just simply got a dunk (doom, nerd, etc)... he was the FIRST non athlete to have his very own nike shoe, and even had the majority of design input on it.

like pharrell, i think ye realized he needs a big name behind him to make it work best, cuz even pharrell had bape behind him (was actually reebok originally)...

Wipe your mouth.

You don't get anything. I am a Kanye fan. Because Kanye is a musician. Nothing more, nothing less to me. And for the most part, I like his music.

I just don't have him on the pedestal you clearly place him on.

Here's what I find funny. You say "regardless of me being a fan.....kanye has been the most influential person in hip hop culture.....etc etc etc."

You don't get it. You believe this BECAUSE you are a fan. This is an opinion. Not a fact. We all know it's your opinion. You just need to look at WDYWT to see how "influenced" you are by Kanye West.

I, for one, am not clowning how "many" people dress like Kanye. Because I don't see that many people that dress like Kanye. But when cats post an outfit straight out the Kanye West starter kit, of course they'll get clowned.

Pharrell didn't set off Bape? Didn't have dudes wearing trucker hats? Didn't have a MASSIVE hand in moving Hip Hop fashion beyond your regular hood **** into Japanese brands, Louis **** etc.? Wasn't right there at the forefront of the sneaker boom rocking Dunks on stage? Wasn't an equally MASSIVE artist at the point in time that he did all that?

So yes, he did a Dunk. Then he moved on to do his own sneaker line. And clothing line. Something Kanye is doing now while still not being able to get a clothing line to connect.

All the **** you slurp Kanye for was done by Pharrell just a few short years earlier. So how can you be a leader when someone else kicked in the door before you? How is he not JUST, if not more, influential?

I'm not saying Kanye isn't "influential" (you are proof of that), since that means SO much to many of you, but when you say **** like Kanye "single handedly" had dudes wearing slim ****, you sound ridiculous. ****, even Jim and Juelz had a good hand in that **** (minus the bootcuts). For the most part, no ONE artist is responsible for any of this ****.

I don't like new jacks out there trying to re-write history because they're obsessed with one artist.

Damn, this dude got me out here on the brink of carpal tunnel now....

Last edited:
I'm a huge kanye fan and his impact on music and "fashion" is undeniable but this kanye worship is mad creepy. He was at his best making auto-tuned music that he liked and rocking Jordan's that hadn't been retroed in a while

Eh, I've just been watching stuff for years and def feel like Ye has been more influential than P, in terms of fashion... Just my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people agree (that don't even mess with everything he does, it's just obvious, from the skinny jeans, to leather pants, to kilts, to plaids around the waist, to having every rapper, celeb, and baller up on Givenchy, and Balmain, to GQ featuring him as the trend starter of bracelets, lol, the list can go on and on and on, none of which I ever saw P do b4 him)...

I got nothing but love for skateboard P, and def find him influential, just refuting your claims that he did everything Ye did b4 he did it. And again, he got a dunk. Nike gave kanye his own shoe entirely.

Ye needs a backer like P needed bape and reebok. P also got his foot in the door b4 Ye.

P and Ye should just get backers together and shut everything down. :lol:

No hate on dj proto j dj proto j I'm a big Kanye fan and have been for a long time. And I think proto's fits and posts are dope regardless of what the majority of NT thinks :lol: I just think the kanye "worship" in General is OD. Like it literally happened over night.

Last edited:
dj proto j dj proto j no hate or shots

But no matter how much sense you make( and I agree with you on most of that post)

People don't really like you man and they hate Kanye so no matter what you say it will fall on deaf hears man. So just save yourself the time

I know man, you're right, people love to find something to argue with me about, even if they don't even believe what they're saying themselves, lol. But I don't care if they like me. If that was the case I woulda been ghost from NT a long time ago, lol. Just killing spare time.

No hate on dj proto j dj proto j I'm a big Kanye fan and have been for a long time. And I think proto's fits and posts are dope regardless of what the majority of NT thinks :lol: I just think the kanye "worship" in General is OD. Like it literally happened over night.

I wasn't a big fan of him as an artist until recently. The Yeezus show blew me away. Watch the throne was dope, but visually Yeezus was a work of art.

B4 that I messed with his shoes and some of his fashion, and that was it.

Still haven't been on that KTT site, still listen mostly to all kinds of music other than hip hop, and very little of that is his. But I will gladly say I am a kanye west fan, now. All the way. I loved the last album cuz I'm into dark music like that, and the Yeezus show was the best concert I've ever seen, visually.

I'd admit if I was a complete Stan, but to me, a true Stan acts like they can do no wrong, and follow everything he does. But I've never even cared for, or listened to most of his music, never watched his interviews until recently, and have constantly disliked and ignored stuff he wears (Givenchy is ugly to me, I am not into leather pants and shirts, not into kilts, or the tall tee look unless layered right, etc).

I hope I don't like his Adidas efforts. I will gladly pass and be glad to save the money and time trying to get them. A true Stan would get them, no matter what. :lol:

Eh, I've just been watching stuff for years and def feel like Ye has been more influential than P, in terms of fashion... Just my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people agree (that don't even mess with everything he does, it's just obvious, from the skinny jeans, to leather pants, to kilts, to plaids around the waist, to having every rapper, celeb, and baller up on Givenchy, and Balmain, to GQ featuring him as the trend starter of bracelets, lol, the list can go on and on and on, none of which I ever saw P do b4 him)...

I got nothing but love for skateboard P, and def find him influential, just refuting your claims that he did everything Ye did b4 he did it. And again, he got a dunk. Nike gave kanye his own shoe entirely.

Ye needs a backer like P needed bape and reebok. P also got his foot in the door b4 Ye.

P and Ye should just get backers together and shut everything down. :lol:

The thing your not getting is that in reality very few people dress this way. Don't let instagram fool you. Aside from leather pants (skinny jeans wasn't due to Ye) none of that **** is something regular dudes are wearing now. I live around plenty of hypebeast and I've yet to see any of those things. Givenchy and Balmain are established brands, he might've made them "it" for a while but that doesn't take much. I just don't understand how you can even compare Pharrell's movement to Ye's. Pharrell broke down a barrier that wasn't there, Dipset had more to do with clothes slimming than Kanye, he wasn't a leader, he just did it better.

All I know is anytime the topic of Kanye West influencing other people comes up, it is comedy. Next thing you know, dudes are going to say Kanye is the reason people started wearing pants or shirts.

The thing is, I've always maintained Ye bites a lot of his styles. He's a leader in the sense that he will introduce something to the culture they ain't ready for yet, even if he gets roasted for it. It's proven they eventually follow him. But as I've said b4 in here, his DJ, A-Trak, was wearing skinnys b4 Ye was, cuz A-Trak was heavily involved in the LA indie electro hipster movement at the time, and that was what they had been on long b4 Ye. He just saw how fresh it looked and did it too.

I'm not even sure how this all spiraled out like this tho, cuz I specifically said Ye was the most influential in the last 6 or 7 years. Since about 2007 (with the damn shutter glasses, again, an 80's thing he just brought back).

If y'all can seriously name one artist more influential than Ye in the last several years, and it's not just some reach to disprove me, I'll give it to ya.

And not sure who phil was calling a "new jack" back there... :lol: I been collecting sneakers and Stussy product since the early 90's... Can't really pull that card on me, chief... :wink:

Proto you buggin with them walls of text man.
laugh.gif
I mean you learn in high school how to get your point across, but this guy just doesn't seem to get it. HE could get all that across in 5 sentences. I  know its just a forum but bruh, at this point you just ranting.

which is really sooooo a-trak (kanye's DJ). he was dressing like that well b4 kanye, and he bit it off all the indie electro hipsters in LA...

Quote:Originally Posted by DJ Proto J  

in 2008 when i first saw the yeezy 1 (here on niketalk), i didn't give a single crap about mr. west, never watched any of his fashion, wasn't a fan of his music really (i'm more of an EDM guy since the 90's), i had only played his club hits in my club DJ sets and that was it (tho i did respect him for having my boy A-Trak as his DJ, he's a DJ prodigy, been following him since he was like age 14 competing in the DMC's, then later he helped get the indie hipster electro scene in LA poppin' in '07, where kanye bit most of his whole style from, i.e. skinny jeans). but i LOVED the moon boot look of the shoe, and the straps, and then the Y2 is just a slimmed down version of the 1's to me, but also dope. i just love shoes with straps executed well... i'm one of those guys who loved sb dunk mids with the straps, even tho so many people hate them (never got into air forces with straps tho, cuz they come from the inside out, not into it, plus just don't like the over all shape and look of AF1's)... same reason i loved and copped the jaspers, but passed on the dons and then rest of his LV collection (and passed on tons of the trends he's made, including the ugly givenchy brand, these baggy t-shirts he's wearing now, leather pants, etc., etc.)...

but yeah, sure, you got me all figured out, lil' guy... keep thinking that... whatever makes ya feel better...
wink.gif

eh, sometimes they do something that sets a trend tho. LA indie electro hipsters definitely made skinny jeans and v-necks pop off, well b4 any rappers were up on it. kanye bit the style, then everyone else jumped on it (for proof, look how kanye's DJ, A-Trak, was dressing b4 kanye was, and he's a big time electro DJ).

those kids in that pic don't look anything like hipsters... they look like some frat boys who all wore jerseys for some reason to some concert.
word, well i was talking more about pants. i remember when jim jones came out wearing tighter fit shirts, and it was dope, cuz like you said, that was basically at the height of the night gown looking tall tee crap. i think jim jones did that cuz he used to play football, still works out, and that's the look most people go for that work out. like you said tho, he was still wearing bell bottom looking, OD baggy jeans with those slim tees (and i think he still does that)...

all i'm saying is kanye is definitely partly responsible for slimmer fit jeans in hip hop and the streets (not the red and turquoise pants he be wearing, just normal jeans that are slimmer fit). i can't think of any rapper large in the game going that route b4 him. even most cats who didn't go full on skinny, they at least slimmed down their jeans fit some (i never went full on skinny, it's not comfortable to me, i just slimmed down some cuz i realized how much better it makes your shoes look, they shine and pop more). that OD baggy look is just as bad as OD skinny imo. right in the middle is perfect, and that's where it's kinda ending up at right now for most people.

Originally Posted by DJ Proto J  

nah, they both influence each other.

kanye got some of the streets wearing skinny jeans now, or at least way more fitted.

but i agree with you, artists rarely start the trends, cuz kanye bit the whole style off LA indie electro hipsters, he just gets credit for having the balls to bring it to the rap game (for the first time since the early 90's, back then all rappers wore skinny jeans).

my boy is part of the electro group LA Riots, they're huge, tour all over the world, get serious paper. he came and played a gig for me back in 2007 wearing skinny jeans, a deep v-neck, and a cardigan, and everyone had jokes. 3 years later mad people are dressing like that now. he told me the style was hot in LA back then, but it didn't catch on through out the rest of the country for a hot, hot minute. LA and NYC are where the trendsetters reside for the most part, and they're mostly no name nobodies, just someone with a name picks up on it and gets it poppin'.

Over the course of 4 years.... dude been saying the same thing over..... and over.... when NOBODY ASKED OR CARED THE FIRST TIME SINCE 2010.

LOL... Mogulson putting in work on the search function. :lol:

Yeah, I been saying that, thanx for proving my point. And yet, they still insist I say stuff that I clearly never said. Never said Ye was this great originator, nor did I say he was the most influential evar, only the last few years.

And obviously people care, Mogulson, shun, shun, mug, mug... People LOVE to debate me. LOL! They stay replying to damn near anything I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom