♔ ~~~~| Celebrites Rockin Heat (fly gear/Fly kicks) VOL. 3 | ~~~~ ♔

Status
Not open for further replies.
yall need to get off your high horses. This man Pac wore a leather corset and a bandana/headwrap like aunt jemima and nobody was trippin back then. Kanye wore a leather kilt and yall say he ruining hip hop culture?

sit down
Yeah, but the difference is nobody tried to rock it just cuz Pac did. Because we knew it looked ridiculous, regardless of who was rockin it. Now Ye wears a dress and it's "hot".
You don't know that . . . only difference between the stupid trends then and the stupid trends now is that we have Instagram and Tumblr, where people can document what they're wearing every day of their life and put it on the internet where it will never go away, whereas in 96 people might not have taken pictures of their outfit like that everyday, and in the case that they did take pics of themselves, you probably will never see them versus today, when all you have to do is go on tumblr and search a keyword for a certain trend and you see pages full of it.

yall need to get off your high horses. This man Pac wore a leather corset and a bandana/headwrap like aunt jemima and nobody was trippin back then. Kanye wore a leather kilt and yall say he ruining hip hop culture?

sit down
Yeah, but the difference is nobody tried to rock it just cuz Pac did. Because we knew it looked ridiculous, regardless of who was rockin it. Now Ye wears a dress and it's "hot".
exactly.

sit down

exactly.

lol true.

however, there was a pretty acceptable yet equally suspect alternative to dat der corset:

inb4 im reaching

im jk btw

id rock if i were yolked like da rock

plz respond

stay safe

sit down

exactly.

The brassiere top?

Last edited:
w/ the pac talk and vintage gear in the vids, i figured this has some relevancy in this thread.

never been the biggest pac fan, but seeing this boot camp click/one nation footage got me like :smh: **** could have been so different.

you couldn't loose w/ tarheels, miami or unlv gear in the 90s. :smokin

Last edited:
^ eh... he just sounds like some old guy trying to "keep it real", slightly homophobic, and wants "hip hop culture" to look the same forever (how he deems cool, which is obviously mostly 90's fashion)...

i see where he's coming from in some instances i guess, but there's holes all in his theories tho... like, for one, you can't credit run dmc for keeping it real and pioneering "drug dealer on the corner" street fashion in hip hop, but then act like they weren't wearing skinny leather pants (and pretty much all rappers then, and for a few years after that, were wearing skinny jeans), and somehow kanye is mad rainbow for doing it (or bringing it back, really... it's not like kanye's some super original trendsetter really, i think he prolly just got bored of typical american hip hop fashion and started looking to the 80's, hipsters, and europe for inspiration, and being one of the bigger artists now, he inevitably influenced the culture, and even his older peers, like hov):

today's hip hop fashion doesn't look much different than that ^^^ (it's obvious jamar thinks the often overly baggy looks of the 90's is more "true to the culture" tho)...

long tees layered underneath and long sleeves tied around the waist is aight in some cases imo... kilts on stage is one thing, kilts out on the town is a bit much, but still, that ain't that wild really... imagine how crazy hip hop fashion will be in another 10 - 20 years... if this stuff has got your panties in a wad now, you're gonna be really trippin' in 30 more years as a old man complaining about "kids these days"... who cares really? style and fashion evolve... music evolves... half this stuff ain't even really "hip hop" anymore anyways...

the basis of his whole argument on diamonds is there's a saying "diamonds are a girl's best friend"?... LOL! and because cats got both ears pierced means they're rainbow cuz that's what was kinda the unspoken rule 20 years ago?... :lol: dude sounds mad stuck in the past... sounds like he wants there to be some hip hop fashion police to keep things the same forever... and while i can understand, and in certain ways agree with the argument for "preserving the culture", it's a pipe dream... hip hop doesn't just belong to the pioneers of it from the 80's and 90's, now the entire world is on it, and therefore their fashion is gonna influence it (hence why european fashion is influencing american hip hop style right now)... people get bored easily nowadays, and want something different... they're gonna dress more and more outlandish... couple that with the world getting less and less homophobic, and cats are gonna do all kinds of wild stuff (it's becoming a more open-minded, "liberal" time in fashion again, like there was that whole era in the 60's and 70's where dudes wore short shorts, and jimi hendrix was wearing lace and stuff, shirt unbuttoned all the way down, it was prolly considered a sexy look by women, and dudes doing it were straight as an arrow and plenty comfortable in their sexuality)...

and as much of a cornball i think wiz is, the claim that he's dressing like that now to "appeal more to white people" is crazy talk... i think wiz sings them corny hooks sometimes to get a pop hit on the radio and get money, but i think he's genuinely dressing how he is now cuz he's turnt out from all the weed he smokes and culture he's been introduced to now having toured the world... i don't like his style really, but i don't think he dresses any certain way for white people...

and now this dude sampled his own interview and put out a song about this? trying to get his first fame since brand nubian's last hit almost 20 years ago, off dissing 'Ye? :lol:

eh, whatever... flame away, old heads... i grew up on brand nubian, got all their hits on vinyl, but just calling it like i see it (i wouldn't even say i'm open-minded, just logical to me)... i'm curious what BIP's gonna say about jamar's comments...

enter the rest of my fashion debate essay here: __________. :tongue:

P.S. i BEEN HAD the leather corset! :lol:

Last edited:
^ eh... he just sounds like some old guy trying to "keep it real", slightly homophobic, and wants "hip hop culture" to look the same forever (how he deems cool, which is obviously mostly 90's fashion)...

i see where he's coming from in some instances i guess, but there's holes all in his theories tho... like, for one, you can't credit run dmc for keeping it real and pioneering "drug dealer on the corner" street fashion in hip hop, but then act like they weren't wearing skinny leather pants (and pretty much all rappers then, and for a few years after that, were wearing skinny jeans), and somehow kanye is mad rainbow for doing it (or bringing it back, really... it's not like kanye's some super original trendsetter really, i think he prolly just got bored of typical american hip hop fashion and started looking to the 80's, hipsters, and europe for inspiration, and being one of the bigger artists now, he inevitably influenced the culture, and even his older peers, like hov):

today's hip hop fashion doesn't look much different than that ^^^ (it's obvious jamar thinks the often overly baggy looks of the 90's is more "true to the culture" tho)...

you really think them pics are close to whats going on today's w/ hip hop (and i use that term loosely) styles? aint nothing ***** about them dudes in them pics. they might have leather pants or slim jeans on but its w/ some tough adis, truck jewels and a masculine edge. now its blouses/skirts, costume jewelry, catty fashionista raps and staying moisturized.

Last edited:
You have to remember too that this was a sort of transitional phase of hip hop fashion. This was the era when Big, Jay, and Nas were bringing in that Versace style stuff. This was jumping off the "jiggy" era and dudes hadn't yet found their lane.

Personally, I also think this was one of the wacker fashion eras in hip hop history.

Basically, the distance between the fashion culture and "the people" is usually pretty closely related to the distance between the music itself and "the people."

When rappers were rocking fatigues and Timbs, their music was relate able to young people in any hood out there living the hip hop lifestyle. So was their fashion - rappers looked like their fans. As it evolved into pure decadence, the music went further away from the people too - I can't relate to pouring champagne on women on a yacht, or shopping at the Bentley dealership. The jersey era brought something of a return to the streets. The rappers looked like their fans again. Now, this couture stuff reflects the same trendiness and style-chasing, lack of core identity that pervades the music scene. ...We've seen this type of relationship throughout the history of the music, as the dookie rope gave way to the Africa medallion.

had to rep you for this.

makes complete sense.

and if jamar took this approach, perhaps it'd make more sense... but he just sounds homophobic (for the most part).

it is true tho that the european influence, designer / couture thing is making it hard for everyday fans (especially the young without much money, which is prolly making them live beyond their means, more than evar) to get on board, cuz it's so expensive... that being said tho, i'm sure cats used to break the bank to buy dookie ropes back in their day too...

it's a weird time now tho, cuz now you got the new school "underground" rappers even talking jiggy tho, rocking balmain, givenchy, etc...

anyone remember when the roots got knocked for being the backing band for jay's unplugged, cuz they were kinda "anti-jiggy" b4 that?

it's almost like, after that, the "anti-jiggy" underground movement in hip hop disappeared, and everyone just embraced flossing, across the board...

pouring champagne on women on a yacht tho... :rofl:

you really think them pics are close to whats going on today's w/ hip hop (and i use that term loosely) styles? aint nothing ***** about them dudes in them pics. they might have leather pants or slim jeans on but its w/ some tough adis, truck jewels and a masculine edge. now its blouses/skirts, costume jewelry, catty fashionista raps and staying moisturized.

that's reaching a bit tho, not many people in rap have done the whole "skirt" thing (kanye, rocky, cudi, but who else?)...

you've seen some dudes rock some deep v-necks/u-necks to have sex appeal for the ladies, and of course everyone slimmed up their jeans and clothes in general, but it ain't really that feminine (it is in comparison to mid to late 90's fashion tho i guess, which a lot of people are still stuck on, hence the hate)...

rocky talks a lil' about fashion and pretty boy $%#T, but he's also got some dark content on his album...

you're right tho, to an extent... like i said tho, with people getting bored so easily these days, looking to be different all the time now, and the world becoming less and less homophobic, and different fashion influences being welcomed more, cats are gonna be wearing some wild stuff (so i guess this thread will always be doomed for these debates, LOL)...

it'd be funny to come back and read this, and stuff like the skinny jeans debates, in 5, 10, 20 years... i think a lot of us would realize how closed minded we were... cuz we're gonna see some wild stuff in the coming years that makes skinny jeans look gully by comparison. :lol:

steve harvy suits... :rofl:

Last edited:
not defending anybody, just saying that everybody has their moments. and ye never wore any stage costume in everyday life. you're reaching

I didn't say he rocks the same stuff. I just said I'm critical of his fashion sense when he's just out and about more than I am when he performs.

If you don't read carefully, you always think people are reaching.

^ I'm curious what BIP's gonna say about jamar's comments...
l

I'll have to listen to the interview and respond later.

Knowing Jamar, it's probably on some homophobic steez. That's one thing I'm very adamant about - as much as I criticize any modern music or fashion, I don't call it "gay" or attack it's lack of masculinity. Masculinity is a meaningless social construct, and "gay" as an insult and homophobic epithets should be policed on this board as if they were the N-word. There's no place for that, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom