∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

let me make it real simple...

People wanting every little detail accounted for are completely missing the message of the show; a lot of that stuff is made for the viewer to make their own determination hence Marty talking about them getting their bad guy. When you start trying to answer every detail then you end up creating plot holes and the show turns towards mediocrity.

This show is much deeper than some Fox show which tries to shock the viewer every episode or make unrealistic connections which only weakens the core of the story.

Last edited:
People wanting every little detail accounted for are completely missing the message of the show; a lot of that stuff is made for the viewer to make their own determination hence Marty talking about them getting their bad guy. When you start trying to answer every detail then you end up creating plot holes and the show turns towards mediocrity.
I don't have a problem with ambiguous. I loved Martha Marcy May Marlene....American Psycho...There Will Be Blood...Mulholland Drive. You're trying to tell me there was less to those films than True Detective? None of those accounted for every detail or spelled out their message literally.

I just thought, given the way it played out, the 7th episode was just as uneven a setup for the finale as it felt like it was. And down the stretch they missed some opportunities to stress where the real resolution of the show lied. It felt like the show was over the case of the Yellow King cult, 2 episodes ago, but had to go through the paces. And like the procedural part of the show was a hurdle short in the end. I don't think Rust and Marty earned all of that ending, so much as I could feel Nic and Cary giving it to them.

I understand the decisions they made. I respect that the sum of this journey is existential nihilism and apathetic narcissism finding hope in life again. It just felt like the show thought it earned that ending more than I think it did. You need only look at the 5th episode to understand that. THAT was an episode that really earned, suddenly dispatching its big bad guy early, to take a step back and show that this story isn't about the villains. It's about these heroes and the lives they've lead, and what staring into that kind of bottomless black can do you.

I'm not comparing the finale to anything unreasonable, like reddit theories or how I think I would've done it. I'm comparing it to itself. A lot of the last 2 episodes, becomes a little hollow and passive, and too procedural when you take the ending into account. It just got too easy to see the strings, and that wasn't because, before I was clinging to the hope that some theory could be true. It was because the show never found a structure to tell its story that was as strong as when it was going back forth between interrogations made up of half-truths with existential interpretations, and the flashbacks of reality with those voiceovers on them.

I really liked the ending. I don't think I breathed for a minute there in the caves, and I had to walk around the room for a second when that was done. Even with all the same narrative decisions made, I just don't think it was everything it could've been. But as a whole, that was a really, really good miniseries.

All in all the show was a great experience and Rust had the makings of a great character but that's it. I'm not putting this next to the likes of Breaking Bad and Walter "Heisenberg" White.
let me make it real simple...

This show is much deeper than some Fox show which tries to shock the viewer every episode or make unrealistic connections which only weakens the core of the story.
The show isn't that deep at all.

You can't in one breath say the show wasn't that deep for ppl who wanted every detail explained and then say the show was too deep and say it's deeper than some show on Fox and Saw. Who brought that up besides you? Who was expecting that level of quality in this thread? It's almost like you weren't reading posts in here.

Anybody that can speak eloquently and has taken a few quantum physics and philosophy courses can talk the way Rust does word to Errol @ the beginning of the final ep. That's not what makes Rust, Rust.

On another note, Errol should've spent his time training for 2016 Brazil; dat dash.

Last edited:
I needed more background on Errol, like how do you turn out like that? Son was evil incarnate.

"They were just witness to my journey"

"Do you know what they did to me? I'll murder everyone of their son's and daughters"

"Come die with me little priest"

:x :x :x

Dude was getting off on fingering his sister telling him about how their grandfather raped her

I don't even...........

I'll give them the credit for the last episode being so unbelievably suspenseful... this literally feels like a movie it had me on edge despite not having any ridiculous twists. with that said Based off the way Rust was stabbed up i honestly believe that he should of died. Dude had a knife daggered in him for a few minutes before marty got in.

but i think the last scene is pretty much reason as to why they didn't kill him. Rust explained in the beginning of the show just how much death can be a blessing to most and how they feel that feeling of relief and peace as they die. His mindset during that was one in a dark place. When he claims he felt his daughters energy in the dark, he then claims that there was something underneath that still kept him close to his daughter... hence why he says the light is winning, because he felt the light after the darkness he'd become so enamored with.

I needed more background on Errol, like how do you turn out like that? Son was evil incarnate.

"They were just witness to my journey"

"Do you know what they did to me? I'll murder everyone of their son's and daughters"

"Come die with me little priest"

:x :x :x

Dude was getting off on fingering his sister telling him about how their grandfather raped her

I don't even...........

He was abused by members in his family and probably saw horrible things as a kid and he is a psychopath

He was abused by members in his family and probably saw horrible things as a kid and he is a psychopath
Yeah, that's what I figured too. I mean look at the girl Rust and Marty saved from Reggie Ledoux. Or that girl with Munchausen by proxy who was almost definitely violated at Light of the Way.

He just wore his scars on the outside.

Didn't you wanna see the full rape and murder video? That's pretty deep.
See. :lol: This is why you're the wrong one to be trying to tell...anyone, that they just didn't get it. Maybe stick to generic indirects instead of trying to really respond to anyone.

Just cuz you watched something smart, don't make you smart, or smarter than anyone who watched the same damn thing.

Last edited:
watched it twice and i absolutely CANNOT watch that guy finger his sister

nope.

i ffwrd every time

i dont gross out easy
but thay was the nastiest thing ive ever seen on tv

Didn't you wanna see the full rape and murder video? That's pretty deep.
:lol: No I never did. Ironically, this shows your ignorance and proves me right about you not reading and actually understanding any posts in this thread.

You keep using the word deep. I'm beginning to think you don't know what it means especially if you thought anything I was talking about with the tape had to do with the show being "deep".

That's why I didn't even want to get in to you telling ONeg he lets other ppl change his opinion. Like what? What posts are you reading?

Last edited:
When they started the episode off with Errol doing that, I thought it was going to be one of the grimiest endings. Like I thought he was killing Rust & Marty and Tuttles' were going to sweep their investigation under the rug

but why call Rust "little priest"? I was waiting for that to be answered.
That was strange, just like Ledoux alluded to Russ being some kind of prophetic figure
LkObprm.png

I haven't been in here in a few a few days... 404 new posts... 
nerd.gif

I'll be back in a bit, I guess. 

I thought when Rust was walking through the tunnels and Errol was talking that it was like in his head or something and that he was going to have a flashback to when he heard him talk before or some crazy tie in like he had been there before as a kid or something.

The talking seemed to ominous to me at the time

I thought when Rust was walking through the tunnels and Errol was talking that it was like in his head or something and that he was going to have a flashback to when he heard him talk before or some crazy tie in like he had been there before as a kid or something.

The talking seemed to ominous to me at the time

Rust isn't from Louisiana so he wouldn't have been around the Tuttle or Childress family as a child.

Rust only met Errol one time; Marty was in the car and they got a call so he didn't spend more than a minute or so with him.

Noticed this shot as well. Taking this as a light (hospital room) vs. dark (skyline) contrast.

And in film, any time a mirrored reflection is shown on screen, something is definitely up with that shown character. Just a tidbit.

Noticed this shot as well. Taking this as a light (hospital room) vs. dark (skyline) contrast.

And in film, any time a mirrored reflection is shown on screen, something is definitely up with that shown character. Just a tidbit.

I think this is supposed to be the point where Rust saw his daughter and pop then accepting the darkness but saw the light.

Back
Top Bottom