∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

:lol: sure fam.

I don't even care who wins what, politics exist.

We all know what the GOAT show is.

Safe move would have been entering in as a Mini-Series, but I don't think they would go for Drama if they didn't think it was possible to win.

When do the Emmy's air?

^ Huh...?

Dog, The Sopranos is widely considered the best drama ever.  On any channel.  In fact, if it wasn't for The Sopranos Primetime cable dramas probably wouldn't exist as they do currently -- structure, popularity, etc.

Don't mistake the criticism of the finale for the overarching view of the show.  Most people will tell you The Sopranos before everything.

I know a lot of folks who've seen The Sopranos and BB and none of them think The Sopranos is better, don't think it has much to do with the ending.

The Wire is better than The Sopranos too.

Last edited:
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/06/03/the-sopranos-named-best-written-tv-show-ever/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/03/the-sopranos-named-the-best-written-show-ever

"The Writer's Guild of America ranked the 101 top shows in television history, and the mob drama came out on top"

Breaking Bad was incredibly well written, and I have no problem with someone saying it's better than The Sopranos, but I think a big part of its appeal was the advent of social media.  That's definitely one of the biggest reasons True Detective is as popular as it is.

But saying The Sopranos isn't close to True Detective?  True Detective's 8 episodes isn't in The Sopranos or The Wire's stratosphere.

Last edited:
That's cool but that's them, you do know art is subjective right?

That's like saying BB has better ratings critically almost everywhere else so it's better. At the end of the day it comes down to opinion and taste. I personally felt that the writing/acting and especially the cinematography was better in BB than any other show. You're free to believe what you want but if you base what you feel is best on the opinions of others and think that I should concede to that. :lol:

I said TD has potential, do you understand that word? I didn't say it was better than either of those shows, it's only 8 episodes deep.

Last edited:
I know art is subjective.  

But to say The Sopranos -- a show that was consistent for 6 seasons and was voted by The Writer's Guild of America as the best written television program ever -- isn't close to True Detective, an 8 episode miniseries with cool visuals but completely undeveloped characters outside of the two protagonists, is just in my opinion wrong.

EDIT

I think the problem is I'm taking issue with you saying True Detective wasn't close to The Sopranos but now that I'm looking at what you said again I see that I misread your statement.

You weren't saying that TD was better than The Sopranos but that you thought BB is.  That's my bad. My apologies.

That said, saying The Sopranos isn't close to BB is kinda silly too 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'd rank Sopranos 3rd behind The Wire but Mad Men isn't in the conversation to me. I love that show too but it's not in the conversation with those 3.

I'm not trying to downplay The Sopranos though, it was a truly groundbreaking series that set the mold for all the great dramas that are on TV now, I just don't think it's the best ever but there is an argument to made for it, that's why I respect your opinion even though I disagree with a lot of that Writer's Guild list.

super off topic from this thread, but I find it amusing that she was supposed to be fat then just shed the baby weight quick like a boss, but they still wanted to do a chubby Betty storyline so they threw her in a fat suit 
laugh.gif

I know that it doesn't come close to the intensity,action and drama of BB,The Wire and The Sopranos but I'd say that MM still stacks up. It's had some of the finest acting and writing I've ever seen on TV. The only thing that set's it apart from those other shows is that the entire premise is a drastic departure from those other 3 shows. Other than that, I'd say it's up there in the upper echelon of TV dramas.

Can't stand Betty :smh:,I actually prefer Skyler by miles.

Last edited:
5 comedies...I respect this list, of course I'm not satisfied, Simpsons are number eleven, could have edged out Mad Men or something, does 20+ years of consistent laughs mean nothing?

5 comedies...I respect this list, of course I'm not satisfied, Simpsons are number eleven, could have edged out Mad Men or something, does 20+ years of consistent laughs mean nothing?

It would mean something if it was truly consistently funny for 20+ years.

But it wasn't...so there you go.

I disagree. I've seen roughly 80% of the episodes, and a solid 75% of them were entertaining. That's consistancy if you ask me.

Art is subjective but why you keep calling us out on saying BB isn't the best drama of all time. :lol:

Most of the people I know who put BB ahead of the rest are only doing it because they're action fanatics, the type of demographic that loves to watch things blow up and characters shoot guns. "The Walking Dead" type of crowd :lol:

Honestly tho, in my opinion. I put the Sopranos number 1a and the Wire 1b. Whatever one doesn't matter to me.

If I was on a deserted island with only one pick tho it'd be the Sopranos. It has everything - drama, action, psychology, fantasy, crime, but most of all; the thing people forget the most - it has so many comedic moments that people never catch on. I've watched the seasons 1-6 a good 5-7 times throughout the years and there are still things I still haven't noticed and comedic moments that still make me laugh out loud.

It was the blueprint for TV drama going forward. You really become Tony Soprano watching the show, but at the same time you become Dr. Melfi and you realize just how big of a psychopath Tony is. You get every angle of Tony from both perspectives.

Once again thats my honest opinion. It also one of the reasons why i loved True Detective because it was very similar in the "character" aspect but it was even darker and more mysterious. When it came to Breaking Bad, it got somewhat predictable and forced. All of a sudden Walter White goes from a humble Biology teacher to a mass murderer within a year? :lol: I don't buy it, it got to extreme.

Thats just me tho, BB is still top 5 in my book. True Detective tho, best cinematography I've ever seen on a TV series, hands down. I'm sure David Chase would have loved to do the same but he had many more episodes/seasons HBO needed to finance and couldn't pay for it.

Like dude said tho, it's all subjective.

1. Sopranos best show all around, the whole way through was awesome.

2. Breaking Bad with seasons season 3 & 5

3. The Wire (although I wish there was more with Wood Harris "Avon Barksdale")

4. True Detective, I wanted more twists and thought this could have been a lot better down the stretch.

5. Mad Men, not a lot of action, but extremely intriguing. Different times and types of people. 

Didn't know michael pitt was being a problem on the Boardwalk set. I liked his character though.

I'm just tired of all the talk like bb and walter white are the greatest things ever on tv like it's absolute. By the final season people would've liked anything that the show did because they loved it so much.

Back
Top Bottom