❌‼️ This Thread is now CLOSED. NEW THREAD link on last page, been a great Year ❌‼️

Would you spend €100+ on Paul Pogba??

• Yup, still very young and filled with potential...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, no CM could be worth that much...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

No one answered my question earlier, who TF was that dude Powell who came in for Mata? Can you answer it?

The weirdest thing I've seen all week.
Nick Powell was signed from Crewe Alexandra a few years ago, after a very bright season or two with them. He looked like he had the potential to grow into an amazing player. Got to United, got arrogant, didn't work as hard. Was sent out on loan, he had more ego issues and eventually got injured. Hence you've probably never seen him play for United before tonight (he has played before, but very briefly).
I actually spent a brief afternoon in Crewe on my way out of Liverpool.... saw the stadium and stuff etc

No one answered my question earlier, who TF was that dude Powell who came in for Mata? Can you answer it?

The weirdest thing I've seen all week.
i know you will like this, he was suppose to be the next english wonderboy and quit on heggsy fc. Going to end up as a defining moment in his tenure here, something that backfired on him. I think it was more Giggs making the call, I don't even know if LVG has ever seen Powell play. 

Oh okay, thanks.

But can you now tell me what your boy LvG was thinking/doing in taking out Mata for him tho? :lol:

LVG was signing his death warrant that's what he done. I said the tide was turning weeks ago but now it has gone full sail. Pretty much everyone wants him gone now. It's similar to Moyes now, when only the rose tinted fans have faith in him. The only question is will he see the season out, I say yes but he has to go in the Summer.

Last edited:
Last time he played for the reds was against MK Dons iirc...nuff said :lol: :smh:. Young and Pereira were chilling on the bench too :smh:

:smh: what does he need to do to get some game time...
Rooney and Herrera's out,Mata hasn't really hit top form lately(though he was better against Wolfsburg playing in the 10) and all LvG sent in was this bum who couldn't even get serious minutes at a smaller club... :x

honestly man, I really wanna see young Pereira shine at Utd but if he keeps getting benched at the expense of lesser players then Utd gonna lose him some day...word to Pogba.

So Mata really got subbed off for Nick ******* Powell last night? It wasn't just a nightmare? :x :smh: |I. I wouldn't blame Young or Mata at all if they were pissed after that,a dude that couldn't even get consistent playing time at smaller clubs was trusted more at the end of a big European elimination match than both of them with vastly more experience...

Like I said,if he wanted to bring in another youngster, Pereira who's twice the player Powell is was just twiddling his thumbs on the bench...He didn't reject PSG last summer and extend his contract to continue being a bench warmer when we're going through an injury crisis and multiple forwards are lacking form :smh:

LVG just made life infinitely tougher for himself because now he can't really point to results as an example that his "philosophy" works at OT. If we don't finish top 2/3 I wouldn't be surprised at all if this growing wave of dissatisfaction and unpopularity coming from the fans led to his sacking during the summer. especially with Carlo publicly admitting interest in the job and Pep possibly being available.

I read earlier in the week that the board was gonna have a sit down meeting with LVG to decide his future anyway in the new year,that report was talking about possible extending his contract but I doubt that's still on the table :lol:

Last edited:
LVG was signing his death warrant that's what he done. I said the tide was turning weeks ago but now it has gone full sail. Pretty much everyone wants him gone now. It's similar to Moyes now, when only the rose tinted fans have faith in him. The only question is will he see the season out, I say yes but he has to go in the Summer.

In addition to what Rolaholic just said above, and what your saying RY, it looks like LvG is done at United. I agree he'll make it thru the season, but as for next year - no way.

The EPL is just so godamn terrible right now that United will finish top 4, so I can't be that certain about LvG being dismissed next Summer. But just analyzing the way United plays, the decisions that have been made - I hope that doesn't stop the front office from dismissing LvG next summer just because they may get the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th spot (which really isn't that much of an accomplishment)

Interesting article that sums up United right now....

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...istracting-man-united-fans-from-deeper-proble

Manchester United are poor at the back, acceptable in the middle, and poor upfront. The club's squad isn't fit for the purpose of challenging to win the Premier League and also the Champions League, and it's only a ridiculously poor quality season which sees Man United close to the top of the domestic pile with a chance of winning the title.
That, and Louis van Gaal playing defensively.
Criticised for producing some of the most boring football in living memory, Van Gaal hasn't been doing it because he's a masochist, but out of what he sees as necessity.
The Dutchman loves being loved, that's been evident throughout his career and since arriving at Old Trafford. Van Gaal may have an outward persona of not caring one jot, but he'd much rather be adored by his own fans than mocked.
The press? He probably doesn't care. The fans? It's different.

Therefore it has to be considered that he's not simply clinging to a philosophy of miserable football because he quite likes it. Van Gaal's natural style may be more possession and control based than previous Man United managers, but it's not before been quite this miserable.
Van Gaal's first year at Bayern Munich saw the German club win the league and score 72 goals, only 8 less than Pep Guardiola's wonderful side managed last season. They won the cup too, scoring an average of 4 goals a game in that competition, and reached the Champions League final.
The next season brought trouble, but Bayern weren't playing with a misery philosophy and had scored 51 goals in 25 matches by the time, in March, that it was announced the manager's contract wouldn't be renewed. The team went on to score 10 goals in the next four league matches before Van Gaal was removed early.
At the World Cup, Van Gaal's Dutch side scored more than 2 goals a game, pretty good going for such a tournament and, on 15 goals, putting the side just a single goal behind world champions Germany.
The current perception of Louis van Gaal being an enemy of football and happy to suck the joy, and goals, out of the game simply doesn't sit well with his record.

Philosophy and process fit with the circumstance and it would appear Van Gaal believes Manchester United's defence is so fragile it needs protecting by the whole team. A looser approach against Arsenal resulted in three goals being shipped, as did the same against Wolfsburg.
Conceding three goals in each of those games didn't tell the full story, with Man United's defence a calamity. It was glaringly obvious in each of those games that the quality of players on show simply wasn't high enough.

Chris Smalling has proven himself to be better than many thought but is a long way from the level some have pushed him to, he could probably progress more with a senior partner. Daley Blind lives a charmed life and a couple of nice contributions a game often help the utility man avoid much criticism.
Ask a supporter of another top club if they'd want Blind as a central defender and you'd struggle to get many positive answers. That's not tribalism, Blind is an intelligent footballer, and a very nice man with wonderful hair, but he hasn't yet shown he's a top level central defender.

Losing Luke Shaw was an underestimated blow to the season and Matteo Darmian failing to build on early promise is disappointing, but perhaps also a symptom of the middle of the defence being jelly-like when genuinely under pressure. It spreads.
That's why Van Gaal has been playing a football-god-forsaken brand of the game.
Boring football, the form of Wayne FFS Rooney and the very existence of Marouane Fellaini are distractions from a more widespread problem. Man United's squad isn't up to task and needs improvement and, yes, much more investment.

Despite the perception of Edward Woodward spending like a drunken sailor, Manchester United haven't broken any banks. Claims of £300m being spent are de rigueur, but misleading.
Van Gaal's first summer saw £135.52m spent and £33.87m brought in, making a net spend of £101.65m. Hefty, but not the ground-shaking, game changing spend which it's often perceived as.
The summer window just gone saw £97.65m spent (counting Martial at £35m and so without all the bonuses) and £69.63m brought in, making a net spend of £28m.
The total of £129.65m net is hardly a drop in the ocean, but it's not redefining how clubs spend. As an example, Manchester City, starting the period as champions, spent £157.88m net over the same period.

Van Gaal took over a squad which had finished 7th, was old and lacking in several places. With the exit of David Moyes also came the exits of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, both way past their best but both not replaced in advance or since. Smalling has progressed but, with all due respect to the England international, he's hardly Ferdinand, and Vidic's decline and exit has never been tackled.
Man United need quality additions throughout, but especially in defence. Smalling could then have the chance to progress further and live up to the accolades placed on him this season.
Additions are also needed in wide areas as Adnan Januzaj's curious loan becomes stranger by the month and even the loss of Luis Nani looks like a mistake in hindsight, as does the sale of sulky Robin van Persie.

Rather than leaking stories about moves for Ballon d'Or contenders, Woodward needs to get real and work on fixing the huge broken window before buying fancy curtains for it. Van Gaal needs to make sure Woodward does, the Dutchman deserves heavy criticism for not having solved the problems which were there when he arrived, and perhaps for having too much faith in some players.
Next time Manchester United play too defensively, it may be worth considering the manager is doing it because the club's so called best defence in England is anything but.

View media item 1820647
kobe.gif

Last edited:
In addition to what Rolaholic just said above, and what your saying RY, it looks like LvG is done at United. I agree he'll make it thru the season, but as for next year - no way.

The EPL is just so godamn terrible right now that United will finish top 4, so I can't be that certain about LvG being dismissed next Summer. But just analyzing the way United plays, the decisions that have been made - I hope that doesn't stop the front office from dismissing LvG next summer just because they may get the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th spot (which really isn't that much of an accomplishment)

Yep, and that's the thing with Van Gaal, He has always done just 'enough' to keep his head above water when it looked like he may of been in trouble, but now all of the factors have added up and there is no excuse for not getting through that group considering the amount of money he has spent.

Yep, and that's the thing with Van Gaal, He has always done just 'enough' to keep his head above water when it looked like he may of been in trouble, but now all of the factors have added up and there is no excuse for not getting through that group considering the amount of money he has spent.

peep this from the article eiddy just posted:

Despite the perception of Edward Woodward spending like a drunken sailor, Manchester United haven't broken any banks. Claims of £300m being spent are de rigueur, but misleading.
Van Gaal's first summer saw £135.52m spent and £33.87m brought in, making a net spend of £101.65m. Hefty, but not the ground-shaking, game changing spend which it's often perceived as.
The summer window just gone saw £97.65m spent (counting Martial at £35m and so without all the bonuses) and £69.63m brought in, making a net spend of £28m.
The total of £129.65m net is hardly a drop in the ocean, but it's not redefining how clubs spend. As an example, Manchester City, starting the period as champions, spent £157.88m net over the same period.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...istracting-man-united-fans-from-deeper-proble

Manchester United are poor at the back, acceptable in the middle, and poor upfront. The club's squad isn't fit for the purpose of challenging to win the Premier League and also the Champions League, and it's only a ridiculously poor quality season which sees Man United close to the top of the domestic pile with a chance of winning the title.
Criticised for producing some of the most boring football in living memory, Van Gaal hasn't been doing it because he's a masochist, but out of what he sees as necessity.
The Dutchman loves being loved, that's been evident throughout his career and since arriving at Old Trafford. Van Gaal may have an outward persona of not caring one jot, but he'd much rather be adored by his own fans than mocked.

Therefore it has to be considered that he's not simply clinging to a philosophy of miserable football because he quite likes it. Van Gaal's natural style may be more possession and control based than previous Man United managers, but it's not before been quite this miserable.
Van Gaal's first year at Bayern Munich saw the German club win the league and score 72 goals, only 8 less than Pep Guardiola's wonderful side managed last season. They won the cup too, scoring an average of 4 goals a game in that competition, and reached the Champions League final.
The next season brought trouble, but Bayern weren't playing with a misery philosophy and had scored 51 goals in 25 matches by the time, in March, that it was announced the manager's contract wouldn't be renewed. The team went on to score 10 goals in the next four league matches before Van Gaal was removed early.
At the World Cup, Van Gaal's Dutch side scored more than 2 goals a game, pretty good going for such a tournament and, on 15 goals, putting the side just a single goal behind world champions Germany.
The current perception of Louis van Gaal being an enemy of football and happy to suck the joy, and goals, out of the game simply doesn't sit well with his record.

Philosophy and process fit with the circumstance and it would appear Van Gaal believes Manchester United's defence is so fragile it needs protecting by the whole team. A looser approach against Arsenal resulted in three goals being shipped, as did the same against Wolfsburg.
Conceding three goals in each of those games didn't tell the full story, with Man United's defence a calamity. It was glaringly obvious in each of those games that the quality of players on show simply wasn't high enough.

Chris Smalling has proven himself to be better than many thought but is a long way from the level some have pushed him to, he could probably progress more with a senior partner. Daley Blind lives a charmed life and a couple of nice contributions a game often help the utility man avoid much criticism.
Ask a supporter of another top club if they'd want Blind as a central defender and you'd struggle to get many positive answers. That's not tribalism, Blind is an intelligent footballer, and a very nice man with wonderful hair, but he hasn't yet shown he's a top level central defender.

Losing Luke Shaw was an underestimated blow to the season and Matteo Darmian failing to build on early promise is disappointing, but perhaps also a symptom of the middle of the defence being jelly-like when genuinely under pressure. It spreads.
Boring football, the form of Wayne FFS Rooney and the very existence of Marouane Fellaini are distractions from a more widespread problem. Man United's squad isn't up to task and needs improvement and, yes, much more investment.

Van Gaal took over a squad which had finished 7th, was old and lacking in several places. With the exit of David Moyes also came the exits of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, both way past their best but both not replaced in advance or since. Smalling has progressed but, with all due respect to the England international, he's hardly Ferdinand, and Vidic's decline and exit has never been tackled.
Man United need quality additions throughout, but especially in defence. Smalling could then have the chance to progress further and live up to the accolades placed on him this season.
Additions are also needed in wide areas as Adnan Januzaj's curious loan becomes stranger by the month and even the loss of Luis Nani looks like a mistake in hindsight, as does the sale of sulky Robin van Persie.

Rather than leaking stories about moves for Ballon d'Or contenders, Woodward needs to get real and work on fixing the huge broken window before buying fancy curtains for it. Van Gaal needs to make sure Woodward does, the Dutchman deserves heavy criticism for not having solved the problems which were there when he arrived, and perhaps for having too much faith in some players.
Next time Manchester United play too defensively, it may be worth considering the manager is doing it because the club's so called best defence in England is anything but.

This is a great article and it makes good points, I understand the argument "United defense is so bad that they have to sit back an compensate - evidently making their offense stagnate .." Very valid and solid argument, I'm not going to dismiss it...

But there are more issues to LvG than those -

The relentless amount of arrogance when it comes to having Rooney on the field, the way he's treating or managing Memphis progression (which I thought he would have done a fine job with, considering he's a countryman), the fact he let veterans like RvP and Nani go (I know, I know...) but they've could've actually been needed this season even if they rode the bench but he still brought it Shweinnn, the absurd fact he got rid of Mata yesterday for Powell, idk man. The Di Maria situation...

That type of stuff is concerning......No?

Plus he's old man, he's from a different era, it may just not be a good fit, United need a more progressive manager.

Last edited:
Yea let's just say Man management isn't LVG's strong suit :lol: :smh:

I like how they cleared up the actual amount that was spent,people always love throwing out enormous numbers like 200m without taking into account all the departures. The net spend ended up looking pretty reasonable. Also spending more isn't really "throwing money at your problems" :lol:,have you seen how thin this squad is on top of all the injuries? That explains why theres always a few u-20's on the bench,were literally running out of healthy first team players :lol: :smh:

Last edited:

This is a great article and it makes good points, I understand the argument "United defense is so bad that they have to sit back an compensate - evidently making their offense stagnate .." Very valid and solid argument, I'm not going to dismiss it...

But there are more issues to LvG than those -

The relentless amount of arrogance when it comes to having Rooney on the field, the way he's treating or managing Memphis progression (which I thought he would have done a fine job with, considering he's a countryman), the fact he let veterans like RvP and Nani go (I know, I know...) but they've could've actually been needed this season even if they rode the bench but he still brought it Shweinnn, the absurd fact he got rid of Mata yesterday for Powell, idk man. The Di Maria situation...

That type of stuff is concerning......No?

Plus he's old man, he's from a different era, it may just not be a good fit, United need a more progressive manager.

I think the RVP and Nani situation honestly was a bit naive. I'm going to assume the thinking was that other players would come in, but you know the old saying about a bird in hand. So there I agree with you.

However, I highly doubt the Rooney situation is in LVG's hands. I (and many others) think that Rooney's guaranteed starter position is a contractual obligation that was put in place between Rooney and the club. There is no reason on earth why Rooney is still constantly playing with his performances.

Di Maria didn't want to be at United. End of story.

Bringing on Powell in the middle of an important MUST win game is absolutely ludicrous, and it's a decision that I'll never understand. People have been saying maybe Giggs had more of an influence on that choice but as a manager surely the buck stops with you, and you had to have seen that was a stupid decision before making it.

I'm not mad at the Memphis situation. He needs time to adjust to players, system etc. When he was dropped, I was actually quite happy about it.

The situation that has really grinded my gears was the Herrara situation, but I believe that goes right back to the Rooney saga.

Last edited:

And people are sitting around wondering "with all that money spent" how there's been no performance. The bulk of better players aren't even on the pitch.
This doesn't excuse playing Rooney when everyone is healthy

This was addressed 2 posts earlier:

"However, I highly doubt the Rooney situation is in LVG's hands. I (and many others) think that Rooney's guaranteed starter position is a contractual obligation that was put in place between Rooney and the club. There is no reason on earth why Rooney is still constantly playing with his performances."

I'm conflicted between losing today and hoping the squad makes a run in Europa League (which still has some strong competition) or beating Porto today and taking the payout and using that for future transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom