Nah illmatic didn't go plat till like 03 or 04
And I don't need sales to tell me it's :pimp:
Sales don't mean **** to me
Only the music

Ghostface fishscale should be quadruple platinum
But it ain't
Doesn't deminish how dope it is

I agree with you, some of the best gems aren't widely known

I'm just saying sales weren't a factor before compared to how people check for them now

eventhough 50 made it a thing, it blew up in his face when he started selling less and less on each project

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah Im all for the new RIAA rules and it has nothing to do with drake. Top Dawg from TDE was wrong and silly and misguided for saying that plaque thing IMO

You cant equate old school ways of counting record sales with today's climate

The way ppl consume music has drastically changed and album sales should reflect that.

Like...I didnt think it was fair that for 5 bucks a month you could stream any artist's album that you wanted, an infinite amount of times, and it not count for anything in regards to the artist. That makes no sense to me.

With how prevalent streaming sites are, there's no incentive for a consumer to go out and spend 50 dollars on 5 albums when for 10 dollars a month they can listen to whoever they want. Therefore, you had ppl listening and streaming albums 100s of times and the RIAA didnt reflect that. Now they do

Im all for it

Nah Im all for the new RIAA rules and it has nothing to do with drake. Top Dawg from TDE was wrong and silly and misguided for saying that plaque thing IMO

You cant equate old school ways of counting record sales with today's climate

The way ppl consume music has drastically changed and album sales should reflect that.

Like...I didnt think it was fair that for 5 bucks a month you could stream any artist's album that you wanted, an infinite amount of times, and it not count for anything in regards to the artist. That makes no sense to me.

With how prevalent streaming sites are, there's no incentive for a consumer to go out and spend 50 dollars on 5 albums when for 10 dollars a month they can listen to whoever they want. Therefore, you had ppl listening and streaming albums 100s of times and the RIAA didnt reflect that. Now they do

Im all for it

This is true. Well said

What about all the groupies and fanboys that play albums on repeat all day long to add to the stream? Including youtube videos and songs. Why add that? I understand that the climate has changed. I'm the old man still going to the store and buying CDs when I like them but they gotta come up with a different award. Dumb as **** to have an album that sold 70K and certify it gold because it was streamed and had three singles that sold 150K each. I don't agree with that. Tyga got an album that was certified double or triple platinum and his album didn't even scan 500K. That's dumb.

50 wasn't the first rapper to talk about sales. Mad rappers had talked about it before him. Pac, Jay, Big, Master P and so on.

That Odell **** is wild suspect. Son was wild giddy to reveal he lived with drake while he finished views.

Like...lived with him for what?

The **** is going on out here

Last edited:
What about all the groupies and fanboys that play albums on repeat all day long to add to the stream? Including youtube videos and songs. Why add that? I understand that the climate has changed. I'm the old man still going to the store and buying CDs when I like them but they gotta come up with a different award. Dumb as **** to have an album that sold 70K and certify it gold because it was streamed and had three singles that sold 150K each. I don't agree with that. Tyga got an album that was certified double or triple platinum and his album didn't even scan 500K. That's dumb.

50 wasn't the first rapper to talk about sales. Mad rappers had talked about it before him. Pac, Jay, Big, Master P and so on.
Yeah just like how people say a label bought so and so's project to up its sales
What's to stop a label from hiring people with laptops computers and phones
From streaming a persons album for sales numbers 24/7
Plus what about folks who just listen to it and then like nah I'm good
That shouldn't count as a listen IMO
That's like me buying an album and returning it
Only u can't return physicals after they been opened
I hate this new ****
I hate millennials they always tryna change and do dumb ****

Sales used to not matter until 50 Cent made it a measuring stick

and that's when the entire rap game went to crap, people stopped caring about quality and cared about perception and sales when it never really mattered.
Nah I just think they alstarted paying attention more to the money aspect of sales
Churning out stuff faster and quicker for a flip
Which resulted in lower quality

Y'all think he could do a milli first week? With the reception of these singles I'm not so sure anymore.
I'm guessing 800k first week

absolutely, what now one here factored in is that drake hit over 500k first week when his last 2 were leaked a week prior.. imagine drakes sales if those albums never leaked, easily 2mill first week, if not more...

Nah I just think they alstarted paying attention more to the money aspect of sales
Churning out stuff faster and quicker for a flip
Which resulted in lower quality

i think it's been like that for a while, people used to always bring up sales instead of quality of the music. i used to think like that when i was younger but as time passed i realized it is always supposed to be about quality. sales don't always reflect that. it just means it's more popular.

absolutely, what now one here factored in is that drake hit over 500k first week when his last 2 were leaked a week prior.. imagine drakes sales if those albums never leaked, easily 2mill first week, if not more...
Man if you don't stop talking CRAZY! Drake pushing 2 Million? Now he's Adele and Nsync? Hahahahhahah

Man if you don't stop talking CRAZY! Drake pushing 2 Million? Now he's Adele and Nsync? Hahahahhahah

"IF HIS ALBUMS DIDN'T LEAK"

without a doubt..

all 3 of drakes full feature albums leaked WEEKS prior to the release.. no doubt it will again! so yes I can confidently say he would've hit 2mill, he's the promo king, considering his 2 songs went to #1 and #2 of top 100 within hours and work was sitting at #1 before that.. unfortunately we'll never know bc they leak, so 3/4 of his listeners don't even buy the album..

"IF HIS ALBUMS DIDN'T LEAK"

without a doubt..

all 3 of drakes full feature albums leaked WEEKS prior to the release.. no doubt it will again! so yes I can confidently say he would've hit 2mill, he's the promo king, considering his 2 songs went to #1 and #2 of top 100 within hours and work was sitting at #1 before that.. unfortunately we'll never know bc they leak, so 3/4 of his listeners don't even buy the album..
bruh, hate to bust your bubble! NO WAYYYYYY he was going to sell 2 million in a week? Like really? IYRTITL is only at 1.1 million (over a year later) WATTBA barely at 550k ish (know it's not a Drake solo album, but still). Nobody but Nsync and Adele sold 2 million in a week yet you think Drake would have? All albums leaks before it comes out. Carter 3 and basically Carter 4 still went on to sell a million in a week with leaks.

WATTBA is plat and IFRT is double

I'm talking artistically. I don't care about record sales.

after all this anticipation, all the b grade bars on WATTBA AND IRFT (mixtapes I still like in spite of), all the waiting, the lack of singles.

If he drops Views and it has garbage tracks like Pop Style on it, I'll be really REALLY disappointed. It will be an big L in my eyes.

and I'm a toronto guy.

Last edited:
:lol:
Maybe if they going by today's rules. Streams, YouTube views then it's possible. But 2 million people buying his album in a day, **** no.

I'm talking artistically. I don't care about record sales.

after all this anticipation, all the b grade bars on WATTBA AND IRFT (mixtapes I still like in spite of), all the waiting, the lack of singles.

If he drops Views and it has garbage tracks like Pop Style on it, I'll be really REALLY disappointed. It will be an big L in my eyes.

and I'm a toronto guy.

I'm talking to duke above you.

Not even with the new rules he's not coming close to 2 million in a week. NOT CLOSEEEEEE AT ALL!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a drake single. Not close, not close at alllllll. I wanted your heart, but I'm not close at allllll.

I don't know why I still remember this, but Country Grammar was the first song I ever downloaded on Napster :lol:

That whole album is dope though, might have to revisit it right now
Random fact: I was the only dudes with a cpu, internet with a cd burner in my hood way back when. I called myself being the cd guy, used to buy cds make copies and flip em. The first cd I burned and downloaded song by song was Chingy first album :lol: thought I was on my way to the big money after that.

Last edited:
it's been done before...

"Like I didn't study the game to the letter
And understand that I'm not doin' it the same, man, I'm doin' it better"

Back
Top Bottom